The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

The ultimate graphics fix topic! Oooooh, shiiinyyyy!  XML
Forum Index » Spore Help
TylerVz

Multicellular

I know this thread is old and all but if anyone has had graphics problems like Bumpy textures being flat and pixelated paints and knows how to fix it please tell me. Its similar to the muddy textures that are normal on buildings but its on my creatures instead.

Goldstar345AJ

Microbe

i changed everything in config to $High as said, opened spore, No change.
downloaded new config and prop, no change.
added this: intProp skinpaintTextureSize 4096 # если игра начинает сильно тормозить, изменить значение на 2048
floatProp skinpaintBumpHeight 15
floatProp skinpaintGlossMultiplier 0.5
floatProp skinpaintPhongMultiplier 1
floatProp skinpaintPartBumpScale 1
floatProp skinpaintAmbOccDiffuse 1
floatProp skinpaintAmbOccSpecular 0.5

to prop and the other thing for config, no change.

EDIT: like 2 minutes after i posted this
i notice shine in the CC, but not when i view the creatures in game
EDIT 2: Creatures made before i installed everything have no shine, creatures i made after have shine when i view them! xD

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 12/14/2017 11:57:50

Sharples65

GalacticGod

Yeah same thing happens to me. The editor seems perfect with this, but playing in-game or in the adventure phase and creatures/clothing look very muddy. I don't know how to fix it, but you can probably make a tweak in the file somewhere to force the fix.

You can try highrestexturelevel high in console (control, shift + c). But that doesn't seem to work with creatures very well, it does however improve the quality of buildings drastically.

[WWW]
Goldstar345AJ

Microbe

Sharples65 wrote:Yeah same thing happens to me. The editor seems perfect with this, but playing in-game or in the adventure phase and creatures/clothing look very muddy. I don't know how to fix it, but you can probably make a tweak in the file somewhere to force the fix.

You can try highrestexturelevel high in console (control, shift + c). But that doesn't seem to work with creatures very well, it does however improve the quality of buildings drastically.

Mk it's all fine now though xD
Sharples65

GalacticGod

Goldstar345AJ wrote:
Sharples65 wrote:Yeah same thing happens to me. The editor seems perfect with this, but playing in-game or in the adventure phase and creatures/clothing look very muddy. I don't know how to fix it, but you can probably make a tweak in the file somewhere to force the fix.

Did you fix it? If so, mind telling us what you did?

[WWW]
Goldstar345AJ

Microbe

Sharples65 wrote:
Goldstar345AJ wrote:

Did you fix it? If so, mind telling us what you did?

was just my old creatures that didn't have the shine effect so i went in cc and saw the shine, made a creature, saved and shared it and now it has shine.
old creatures made before installing the shine doesn't give the effect for me idk if it does for others though.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/14/2017 12:29:03

ChocIce75

MouthBreather

That's strange, it works perfectly for me.
I used the pre-made files, instead of changing everything to $High.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/14/2017 18:43:12

Watch the creations grow!
[WWW]
Sharples65

GalacticGod

Also, I'd like to state that muddy creations in the game are intentional, while in the editor they show the 'original' model perfectly. The below quote was written by MaxisAndrew is 2008, and it seems to have been buried and forgotten. Thankfully I managed to find it.

MaxisAndrew wrote:What is shown in the first two images in this thread is not a bug or driver or graphics issue. It is pretty much as designed.

Spore as a game is all about creating your own content. When you are in the editors, and almost nothing else is being displayed, we can show you the full model you are working on, with individual full-resolution textures for every little part that makes it up. In the editors you are seeing the original source data.

When you view the final model in game (or in the Sporepedia, which uses the in-game model), you see what we call a 'baked' version of your original model. This is an optimized version of the model so that we can display many of them at once (including many different types of model), plus the planet, plus the trees, and so on. The graphics constraints in-game are much much more severe than those in the editor.

These optimizations include: welding all parts and animations into a single continuous mesh, generating four LODs with varying vertex counts, collapsing all the source textures into one texture page for faster rendering, and compressing those textures. (Really, on high end systems there are two to three pages, including diffuse, normal map, and specular info.)

All of this has to happen in the background within a couple of seconds, both as you exit back to the game, and also as other people's creations are pollinated into your game. This is non-trivial.

The texture packing and resampling is why the textures you see do not match the original ones in the editor. Although there may be improvements to the process over time, we are never going to be able to match what you see in a more standard game where the model textures are pre-authored as single hand-packed sheets by skilled artists.

I believe this thread will only work for the editor, NOT for the in-game mode. Your best bet to get improved textures is to enter highrestexturelevel high in the console (which only works for buildings and vehicles).

I can't seem to find an option in the configuration file to get the original variables to work in-game. This is probably a job for the modding community to solve.

[WWW]
InfestedRP

Microbe

INTERIOR CROCODILE ALLIGATOR, I DRIVE A CHEVROLET MOVIE THEATER

Hey, quick question. does this work on steam spore?
Sharples65

GalacticGod

InfestedRP wrote:Hey, quick question. does this work on steam spore?

Yes, it does.

[WWW]
InfestedRP

Microbe

INTERIOR CROCODILE ALLIGATOR, I DRIVE A CHEVROLET MOVIE THEATER

Sharples65 wrote:
InfestedRP wrote:Hey, quick question. does this work on steam spore?

Yes, it does.

Understandable, have a nice day.

Forum Index » Spore Help
Go to: