The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: SporeMasterSlyth33
Forum Index » Profile for SporeMasterSlyth33 » Messages posted by SporeMasterSlyth33
RileySoto wrote:Spinning the rock could let you get gravity and mixing left over ejecta from digging out the inside of the asteroid with edible aerogels and 'home-made' soil could encourage bacteria to grow. And since it is the future, you could print the genomes of most any species from a lab, you could easily populate your new biosphere. Obviously this technology is still hundereds of years off, but with tech from 2200, could this be possible with out the need for massive funds from massive world powers?

Most asteroids are carbonaceous or silicate, not viable bacteria nutrients. Any growth mediums would need to be brought along for the ride. The dirt on Earth took hundreds of millions of years to accumulate from early chemophiles.

One often overlooked aspect of asteroid behavior is how incredibly dry they are. Larger bodies like planets and moons had water on their surfaces at some point, even unlikely bodies like Mercury and Venus had water vapor for at least a short period during their initial formation and cooling.

Asteroids didn't. That means that the chemistry of an asteroid is typically completely anhydrous and oxygen free, and the introduction of water during any large scale efforts will start generating new hydrated minerals and oxides. This can cause structural weakness and will leach water out of your supplies. This effect has been observed on Earth, meteor fragments degrade rapidly upon contact with free water and oxygen in Earths atmosphere, and samples must be taken and analyzed rapidly before their composition is altered.

It's also important to note that not all asteroids are solid bodies. Most have had their surfaces pulverized into a fine dust over the years (sometimes over a meter deep), and the body itself may not be structurally sound. Some asteroids are little more than agglomerations of smaller fragments and dust compacted into a single object.

The asteroid would have to be extensively surveyed and analyzed before any attempt is made to land on it or bore into it. You don't want to lose 5 billion dollars in mining equipment when your asteroid of choice disintegrates into a fine powder
There are 728,200 Lawyers in the US

Compare that to:

691,000 doctors and surgeons

262,800 civil engineers

794,300 police officers

294,000 electrical engineers

30,200 chemical engineers

(info from the Bureau of Labor statistics)
S&S
maylay wrote:Yep.

This will never occur for another thousand years.
Even then, it won't be the same.

2112 is only 100 years out bro
Infinite universe has infinite mass.

Infinite mass creates infinite gravitational force.

Infinite gravitational force creates a singularity of infinite mass at the speed of light, crushing the universe back into a singularity the instant it is formed.

The universe may have infinite volume, but it does not have infinite mass.

It would also imply that all events of non-zero probability have already occurred somewhere, which would raise some strange questions.
It's pervasive in our government and not limited to science.

Economics, Medicine, Engineering, Environmental...

We let people with a political science background make decisions on things that they know next to nothing about.

And, not surprisingly, our environment, economy, medical system, and engineered structures are all in shambles.

Our law system, however, is more robust than ever.
The problem is that the topic is that sort of behavior.

People dismiss centuries of scientific findings simply because they don't/won't understand it. I have never heard a critique of either evolution or the age of the earth that actually demonstrates an understanding of the information that proved those in the first place. It's not a logical counterpoint, it's ignorance.

And some of these people hold our highest elected offices.

A man who is in charge of directing our national scientific programs and policies is scientifically illiterate.
Calibration issue.

Neutrinos do not exceed the speed of light.

SporeMasterSlyth33 wrote:If someone chooses to use your characters in another RP that's not covered by any copyright laws
If it's made in spore it's already owned by EA.

If someone chooses to use your characters in another RP that's not covered by any copyright laws anyway. They can't seek a profit by seeling copyrighted materials, just telling stories is considered fair use.
SooperWalrus wrote:Before this post, I would like to formally assert that I know nothing about anything.

Buuut...
On occasion, I find myself wondering if somehow, all of history up to a certain point were made up. Of course, I am a nutter, so it's difficult for me to say, but all I know is what I've been told by this, that, these, those, and my various history teachers. No one was alive during the fall of Rome, but there's been tale of it in literature for ages.

Or so I've been told. I don't speak Greek.

And, on another note, that musing was simply thinking out loud.

If you go to Rome, Italy, you can see the ruins of the Roman Empire.

Anyone can write anything, but only a massive Empire can build a 50,000 seat ampitheatre. That's what separates history from myth.
Newton is best remembered for his contributions to gravitational physics and calculus, not his forays into religious study, politics, and chemistry.

Forum Index » Profile for SporeMasterSlyth33 » Messages posted by SporeMasterSlyth33
Go to: