The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: bonobotheory
Forum Index » Profile for bonobotheory » Messages posted by bonobotheory
unclecaveman wrote:They know people are complaining. They are trying to fix that by adding new features and increasing the amount of gameplay. They have seen people's reactions to the game, and are going out of their way to improve it to make their customers happy. Why would you complain about them trying to fix the problem you were complaining about originally?

"You messed it up, blarg. Now you're trying to fix it? Screw you! You shouldn't have messed up in the first place! BLARGETTY BLARG BLARG!"

Getting conned is understandable - it happens to the best and brightest of us. But to give more money to the same con man, expecting him to make things right, is just plain stupid.
99.8% of statistics are made up on the spot.
ZeekSlider wrote:
bonobotheory wrote:
ZeekSlider wrote:
bonobotheory wrote:Why not hire some game designers who know what they're doing? Not only would you not have to ask us how to make your games, you could have made Spore right the first time.
There's a difference between knowing what you are doing and knowing what your customer wants.

Given how much backlash the internet has given them in just the first month of release alone, the big priority for Maxis is probably to please the angry, torch-baring mob outside of their windmill office window. That's why they are asking us what we want in the Space expansion pack.

Except they're not giving us what we want. They've already decided the focus is "make your own missions," a feature I don't recall anyone asking for. Had the game's designers known from the beginning how to make interesting gameplay (as Will Wright usually does, but was apparently overruled on this time), they wouldn't be in this mess.
You're really just defeating yourself and the purpose of this thread.

Maxis wants to know what you want. You have an opprotunity to post that here and now. They have it in writing that they are listening to the community. And all you are doing is saying "They've made up their mind, so why should I tell them what I want since I KNOW they are not going to do it." You don't know that, and you will never know that.

RocketGirl took full advantage of this thread and posted yet another passionate post stating her case about how shallow the space game is for her and improvements she wants seen. Others both before and after her have done the same. Why can't you? Because you have this precognative knowledge that anything we post in this thread will be ignored?! If you truly believe that and have solid proof, then I'm giving you the chance to exhibit it right here right now. Show me where Maxis has asked their community "what would you guys like" and then fail to deliver after having a mountain of posts and e-mails stating what the fans wanted.

And no, using Spore as an example doesn't count.

Using Spore as an example certainly does count - it's the perfect example (of course, that's why you'd say it "doesn't count" - it makes you instantly wrong).

Do you honestly think if I tell them, "I don't want a Space Adventures pack, and I don't want a Creepy and Cute parts pack," they'll scrap their plans and give us something different? It can't hurt to try, but I seriously doubt they'll listen.

The game is already going in the wrong direction, and this is just another step in that wrong direction. I can tell them to turn around, but they're not going to listen. That's not pessimism - that's realism.

Your naiveté is adorable. You actually believe they're letting the customers have some real input.
I think if the name had been "Sim Everything" or "Sim Galaxy" we'd have a completely different game.

"Also, not putting "Sim" in front of it was very refreshing to me. It feels like it wants to be breaking out into a completely different thing than what Sim was." - Will Wright

Quoted from http://www.wired.com/gaming/hardware/news/2005/05/67581
ZeekSlider wrote:
bonobotheory wrote:Why not hire some game designers who know what they're doing? Not only would you not have to ask us how to make your games, you could have made Spore right the first time.
There's a difference between knowing what you are doing and knowing what your customer wants.

Given how much backlash the internet has given them in just the first month of release alone, the big priority for Maxis is probably to please the angry, torch-baring mob outside of their windmill office window. That's why they are asking us what we want in the Space expansion pack.

Except they're not giving us what we want. They've already decided the focus is "make your own missions," a feature I don't recall anyone asking for. Had the game's designers known from the beginning how to make interesting gameplay (as Will Wright usually does, but was apparently overruled on this time), they wouldn't be in this mess.
Why not hire some game designers who know what they're doing? Not only would you not have to ask us how to make your games, you could have made Spore right the first time.
No. Even the game's fans don't have any praise for it:

8Pack wrote:then you have no imagination. it's a game for creative people. not retards

If they had anything good to say about it, they wouldn't resort to insulting people who don't like it.

If you want a game, find something besides Spore. If you want to be creative, get some pencils and paper. The only thing in Spore that requires any imagination is pretending the game doesn't suck.
Hopefully they'll go far, far away and die quietly.
But they'll probably just churn out more unimaginative garbage.
theultimateend wrote:I don't see how making a blanket statement about a group of people is better than a single person. But logic be damned.

It's not, but it's within the forum rules. That's why it's so funny.
I think to make it less personal, you need to insult the entire Spore team.
Sure, Hecker took the credit for it, but he couldn't have screwed it up this badly without help.
Skymin wrote:Okay, back onto topic here now that all of that is settled, for now...
This parts pack, you will load the CD into your computer, then it manually installs it. After that, will you be able to use the disc again? Or will EA be stubborn and put a '# use limitation' on the disc so we don't give it to all of our friends.

You install it once, then the CD bursts into flames. The fire melts your CD/DVD drive too, just in case you were planning on using it to make copies.
8Pack wrote:This game is fun, theres just so many bugs, holding it back right now. seriously, only people that say this game isn't fun, arnt creative

Sorry, we've all heard that tired line before and nobody believes it. I'm very creative - it's just that nothing in the game requires the slightest bit of creativity. I could spend days creating a completely unique creature, write a detailed description of it, author a short story about it, and hand-paint a portrait of it on my bathroom wall, and it wouldn't do anything differently than one created in five minutes by a senile chimpanzee.

No matter how creative the player is, none of it matters in Spore.
8Pack wrote:theres already a patch coming up, that'll fix some of the bugs (hopefully) best thing to do is quit, check back in every now and then for updates, and if theres ever an expansion worth buying, buy it, and play again

Or quit, forget about the patch, skip the expansion, and spend your money on something fun instead.
8Pack wrote:The people that quit this game, are people that can't wait, yea, this game has potential. yea, maxis/EA is reading the forums. yea, eventually the game will get better, it takes time. so just be patient, and wait.

In that case, quitting is the sensible thing to do. Regardless of how much "potential" the game has, nobody in their right mind plays a crappy game because it might eventually get better.
That's exactly how it's done with The Sims 2: If you don't own the proper expansions or stuff packs, you can't useanything made with parts from those packs. Every creation becomes a tiny little advertisement for the expansions. I don't see why EA would change to a more player-friendly model.

Forum Index » Profile for bonobotheory » Messages posted by bonobotheory
Go to: