The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Spore Creepy and Cute Pack:Spore Evolves with New Content,Gameplay and Tools (official announcement)  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Saturndjinni

Microbe

ThrowerOfStones wrote:RocketGirl, for the target audience of Spore, people who want to create their own creature and tell their own story, this is indeed quite valuable. It lets you create whole new creatures that look far closer to what you envisioned. Anybody who spends any time at all on the Creator Corner boards should probably be drooling at the prospect.

This.

As someone who sunk hours into the standalone creature creator before the actual game even came out, I'm excited I'm already getting ideas of new stuff to make just with the parts shown on the boxart.

And, the 2009 expansion sounds fantastic. Custom missions? Heck yeah.

I like Spore. However, I am NOT twelve years old, nor a 'casual gamer', nor ignorant or in denial. I'm just a person who likes games, and happens to like one you don't. Go ahead and hate on the game all you want, but please, stop insulting/generalizing the people who DO like it. Thanks.

My profile | My artz
ThrowerOfStones

Multicellular

Falras wrote:I'm happy it isn't just a parts pack and nothing more.

Making missions sounds pretty cool

People have a hard time reading. I really hope when Cute and Creepy comes out we aren't swamped with people complaining that they were promised planetside missions and only got a parts pack. >_<

ausdreamer

Multicellular

Thanks for posting this news.

The expansion I will defintiley buy - the inclusion of an editor for custom missions sounds cool. I was iffy - well more on the negative side about the parts pack but my niece loves that type of thing so I will get it for her anyway and if it looks ok will then buy it for myself.

You will not get achievements if you use the cheat console in that game.
To earn achievements you need to start a new game and not use the cheat console.
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

hiki2008 wrote:
its a PACK not a expansion .....

It's twenty dollars...in THIS economy...for next to no content with no new in-world functionality. Hell, this isn't a pack; it's an overgrown (and WAY over-priced) patch.

Well I am deviding my time between the forum and texturing some android in blender.

Speaking of which, I need to get back to building junk in 3DS MAX, myself. I've been thinking of starting a webcomic, y'see, and as I'm not the world's best hand-drawn artist but a fair-to-middlin' 3D artist, I figure I'll go with the medium best suited to my skills. Maybe I'll drop by here when I'm ready to start showing it, give folks a heads-up, yanno?

RocketGirl, for the target audience of Spore, people who want to create their own creature and tell their own story, this is indeed quite valuable.

I want to create my own creature and tell my own story; this pack is useless to me. Because what Spore lacks is not parts for my creativity and my creatures--I built not-quite 500 of them in the CC when it was all we had to play with--but rather storytelling tools. Gameplay options which facilitate storytelling, THAT'S what we need! Not some parts pack, not a mission creator...we need TheSims2-style conversation functionality in order to converse with alien species; that ALONE would make Spore worth playing again! And those are the storytelling tools we need.

The problem is that Spore has become a coloring book instead of a chemistry set

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
Parvati

Civilized Sporeon

Sounds good to me RG.
Keep us informed over the webcomic.
Soldats

Microbe

Man..... I really can not believe this news they really should have laid off the whole expansion/parts thing at least until my Spore purchase found its way off my recent banking history report.

I guess it goes with out saying that I will not be buy expansion or the part pack (though part of me wonders what is going to happen when these creatures get uploaded to the Sporeipedia and someone without the part pack downloads them will they be able to see the new parts?) I would recommend to all of you would-be purchasers to at least wait and see what people say about the new parts/expansion before you go throwing more money at this game.

Call me biased but I saw the same thing happen with BF2 it was botched launch they promised patches and gave out patches for about a year and a half but even after so many patches(and expansions(and they even remade the game with 2142 in a different century)) there were things that they just could not fix

So for me Spore will remain on "trial" status untill such time as we start seeing some decent mods begin development. COMMMMMMONNNN MODDERS!!!!!!!WOOOOOO!!!

That is my opinion I await your one staring.

RocketGirl

MouthBreather

Parvati wrote:Sounds good to me RG.
Keep us informed over the webcomic.

Will do. I'd post some pics of the characters, but it's WAY off-topic and, contrary to what some people may think, I have some respect for remaining on-topic and not disrupting the board any more than necessary.

But I'll keep you informed, regardless. If nothing else, the subject matter is at least marginally Spore-related since it takes place in space and is about alien species and evolution and having adventures. Oh, wait...that's not what Spore's really about, is it? Okay, well, I'm making pretty pictures, how 'bout that?

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
ThrowerOfStones

Multicellular

You want to be able to hug and slap enemy nations?

But seriously, you are right in that more complex interactions would be nice, but I think you are underwriting the complexity as it is now. There's a lot of ways you can interact with other nations - at least on par as options in the base The Sims, which had little more than "talk, hug, compliment, joke, kiss". In Spore, it's just "bribe, terraform, perform missions, plant embassy, use happy ray". Plus, you know, blow them up. I agree that more is better, but I'd urge you to be patient. The Sims became as awesome as it was only after many, many expansions. The base The Sims, while cool, was still very simple - just as the base of Spore, while cool, is also quite simple. But it will get better - as long as EA continues to make money off of it.

Ickabod

Multicellular

How can this pack be useless if we don't know specifically what the space content is going to be? Sure the parts I don't care about myself, but give it a chance to actually see what they are going to include for the gameplay part.

They appear to understand that there are issues, case in point, getting to walk on the planets. They didn't see a need for this in the original version because there is the hologram, they thought that would have been enough. With enough people complaining about not being able to walk on the planet, well you will now be able to.

I want more gameplay too, but let's wait until we actually see what they are specifically going to do with the gameplay before bashing the pack.

Destroying Cuteness through superior Science

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Ickabod
snabald

Microbe

Wow, the parts pack sounds less worth it the more I hear about it.

Like I keep saying, I think it's worth about $10.

"Wow - you really vlobsnarbed the fallopsnar!!!"

My Spores!
ThrowerOfStones

Multicellular

The more I post on legitimate game boards the more I feel like the Kingdom of Loathing methodology is the best way of making money off of a game. Charge people money for something and they think it's crap. Ask people for donations and give them the exact same thing as a free gift, and all of a sudden they love you.

MinionJoe

Spacefaring Sporeling

snabald wrote:Like I keep saying, I think it's worth about $10.

Agreed.

Whereas the Entrenchment "mini-expansion" for Sins of a Solar Empire (available in November for $9.99) will add starbases and other planetary defense upgrades. It's a $10 expansion that significantly changes gameplay. All without any DRM. And I'd gladly pay $20 for it.

The $20 Cute and Creepy Pack that adds "over 100 creature components" is a rip-off.

Times MinionJoe Has Been Banned: 5 Times MinionJoe's Opinion Has Changed: 0
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

ThrowerOfStones wrote:You want to be able to hug and slap enemy nations?

Essentially...yes.

At the very least, I want a large range of options, not the extremely limited ones we have now. I want to be able to expose alien nations to various stimuli to see how they react, to really probe their personalities to see how they are unique...because right now, they all come off pretty much the same as each other with only superficial differences.
Sims have unique personalities because they have multiple traits at essentially random levels while, according to the manual, most Spores fit into a single archetype with no nuance whatsoever. And even if that's wrong, it's not very evident in gameplay. Granting us the ability to actually converse with AI Spores would give us the chance to really get to KNOW them, to distinguish them from the other Spores.
Right now, the game doesn't have this functionality...and it needs it.

But seriously, you are right in that more complex interactions would be nice, but I think you are underwriting the complexity as it is now. There's a lot of ways you can interact with other nations - at least on par as options in the base The Sims, which had little more than "talk, hug, compliment, joke, kiss".

Which means that Spore is dumbed down; TheSims 2 had a lot more conversation options. And even TheSims 1 had more personality than Spore does; traits had varying levels instead of being archetypes like they are now in Spore.

I agree that more is better, but I'd urge you to be patient.

Patience is a minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.

Maxis needs to communicate better; I can be VERY patient if I know what I'm waiting for and why I have to wait; the resounding silence coming out of Maxis is MADDENING.

The Sims became as awesome as it was only after many, many expansions. The base The Sims, while cool, was still very simple - just as the base of Spore, while cool, is also quite simple. But it will get better - as long as EA continues to make money off of it.

...which they aren't GOING to at this rate.

And the base of TheSims 2--which is all I own, except the Night Life expansion, which I barely use and only have because it came bundled with the set I bought--is amazing in and of itself. I expected no less from Spore...and was disappointed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 17:52:37

RocketGirl

MouthBreather

ThrowerOfStones wrote:Charge people money for something and they think it's crap.

The depends entirely on what they get for their money; I've made purchases which I felt were entirely worth it. From Maxis, even; I can't heap enough praise on TheSims 2...money well spent.

It's just that Spore doesn't live up to its own promise and wasn't worth the asking price, and neither are these expansions/packs. Maxis needs a cranial extraction from the SPORE with regards to Spore before they'll start making products worth purchasing.

ThrowerOfStones

Multicellular

RocketGirl wrote:
And the base of TheSims 2--which is all I own, except the Night Life expansion, which I barely use and only have because it came bundled with the set I bought--is amazing in and of itself. I expected no less from Spore...and was disappointed.

Most people I've talked to said they were highly disapointed with the gameplay options of the Sims 2 base. I own the Sims 2 base with a couple expansion (not sure which ones - I got the package deal off of EA's website) and I can say for sure that I am too. When I want to play a Sims game, I play the original with all the expansions I own - I had way more gameplay options then, even if I had fewer options for making my Sim look like a real person.

I'm sure the Sims II gets better with more expansions, but the base I've played is practically a skeleton.

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: