The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Food Chain Contest  XML
Forum Index » Spore Community Showcase
Poll
Are you entering?
Yes! 0% [ 0 ]
No. 0% [ 0 ]
I'll consider it. 100% [ 4 ]
I'll recommend it to a friend. 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4
Garfielf

Multicellular

This board needs some new contests to keep people entertained. Here's an idea for a contest.
You will each make three creatures that work together in a food chain. First, a herbivore or prey animal. Next, an omnivore or scavenger creature. Third, a carnivore or predator creature. Whoever can make the best chain of creatures wins a remake of one of their sentient creatures as well as a building set for them.

Entries will be judged on:
-Attention to detail and craft on the creatures. Try to make them look detailed and well-formed.
-How well the creatures fit together in a chain. Try to make them look like they could all live on the same planet.
-Originality. Aliens and unusual creatures will be more noteworthy than Earth animals with slight modifications or shapeless blobs.
-Extra details. Descriptions, original names and additional information will make your creature more interesting.

Contest ends sometime before February, depending on how many people enter.
dragonBoy2006

Civilized Sporeon

can it be a circular chain like the carnivore eats herbivore herbivore eats omnivore omnivore eats carnivore?

Krammekat

Microbe

Garfielf wrote:This board needs some new contests to keep people entertained. Here's an idea for a contest.
You will each make three creatures that work together in a food chain. First, a herbivore or prey animal. Next, an omnivore or scavenger creature. Third, a carnivore or predator creature. Whoever can make the best chain of creatures wins a remake of one of their sentient creatures as well as a building set for them.

-Attention to detail and craft on the creatures. Try to make them look detailed and well-formed.
-How well the creatures fit together in a chain. Try to make them look like they could all live on the same planet.
-Originality. Aliens and unusual creatures will be more noteworthy than Earth animals with slight modifications or shapeless blobs.
-Extra details. Descriptions, original names and additional information will make your creature more interesting.

I really dig the idea! I'll see if I can make the time to participate
Are any editors allowed, and how about cheats?
Also, trophies?
*EDIT* Also also, is there a contest tag?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/06/2018 21:40:39

Krammekat

Microbe

Alright, here are my entries

1. Puffdeer: Herbivore/Prey

The Puffdeer of planet Herii, is a nomad grazer. They travel in huge herds often 5000 strong, and it is a species which is constantly migratory in it’s never-ending quest for grass. It feeds on the dry and toughest of grasses on the savannahs of Herii, With these numbers, they quickly clear large areas of grass, and leave nothing except the roots to be reborn. In their constant migratory state, water can be an issue, yet the Puffdeer have gained it’s name from the ingenuity with which it overcame this problem. The so called “puffballs” that grow from it’s back, suck up and contain moisture from the air, and water from the rain. The Puffballs are actually a fungal growth, a mushroom with which the Puffdeer lives in symbiosis. The spores of the Puffballs purify any water and moisture contained within, and sends it directly to the Puffdeer’s bloodstream. As such it has not only overcome, but completely solved the problem of water.

A male Puffdeer is larger than the female, yet the female produce more striking deep-red colours of fur. When mating, the male will display his large antlers often in ecstatic dances around the savannahs. The male with the largest antlers, and with the most beautiful dance will appear the most attractive to the female. After breeding, the male returns to his usual guard duty of the herd, and now of his new family. The mother is enormously protective of the calf, and will teach it to properly extract every nutrient from the rich patches of grass they will clear together.

When travelling in large herds, the Puffdeer’s instincts are mostly determined by the unity of mind, in which the herd acts. Like a school of fish, if one Puffdeer panics, the rest tend to do the same. As such a large herd being chased by a pride of Tusked Helmcats can become very dangerous, as they trample down anything in their path, desperate to escape.

2. Nuru-Nuru: Omnivore/Scavenger

The Nuru-Nuru of planet Herii, is actually an amphibian that has grown used to living on land. They often need to daze in water however, to retain moisture in their skin as it quickly evaporates in the sun of the hot Savannahs. Most Nuru-Nuru are solitary, yet they are all affiliated with a clan of other Nuru-Nuru families. Should the need ever arise, they will call upon allies from near and far to come to their aid, and even though the Nuru-Nuru is fairly small, in large numbers they are certainly anything but harmless. They are scavengers by nature, and will use the one claw on their right hand, to dig in the ground for roots and vegetables for quick snacks. Hungry Nuru-Nuru will often travel with herds of Puffdeer and wait until a few have fallen victim to the vicious Tusked Helmcats. When the predators have left, they will harvest any leftovers that might be worth picking off. They also provide a cleaning service for the Puffdeer, with their pointed mouths and crooked tongues, they dig out parasites and other harmful infestations. All delicious snacks to a Nuru-Nuru. Sometimes when a Nuru-Nuru has a hard time acquiring food, they will attempt to the steal away a Tusked Helmcat cub for dinner.

The skin of a Nuru-Nuru is sticky, and since they are rather colourful, they will often attempt to hide among leaves. This causes leaves to stick to their bodies, and often they will be seen walking around clad in leaves. The male and female are hardly different, except for their necessary biology of course, and the size of their one claw. After mating the female will lay eggs by the thousands, but will not raise her young. They are left to hatch, grow and find their own way in life. Males are known often to scavenge a few eggs of other Nuru-Nuru for a light meal.

Living in solitude, the Nuru-Nuru must constantly adopt to it’s situation. It may go for years before seeing one of it’s own kind. The leaf-cloaking method is a perfect example of this adaptation. When the Nuru-Nuru must hide from potential danger, it will excrete a sticky substance from several of it’s sweat glands, allowing different kinds of cover, to come to it, instead of risking not finding a good hiding spot. It’s one claw is another example, as it’s perfect both for digging in the earth for roots, and in corpses for meat. The Nuru-Nuru is also extremely fast, so although the Tusked Helmcat would be a natural predator to it, it is only in recent years that it has found a way, to beat the speed-dash of the Nuru-Nuru.

3. Tusked Helmcat: Carnivore/Predator

The Tusked Helmcat of planet Herii, is a feline predator that lives in prides 15-20 strong. They are the largest natural predator of the Herii savannah, and have in recent years boomed in numbers, and practically established a new dominance which now seeps through the very ecosystem of the savannah. More than 30 prides were already being monitored by zoologists, and now at least 20 new prides have been marked for observation. The prides consists of mostly 2-4 small separate families, working together to bring prosperity to all. The hierarchy of these prides is firmly established, and intrinsically never disputed amongst the Tusked Helmcats. The alpha-male, basks in glory and service from the rest of the pride. He lives fairly carelessly breeding often with the females of the prides. His main task arises when the pride’s territory is invaded. He is the one who must answer to any sign of danger from the outside. Grown females are the hunters, and for this they demand massive respect. They come second in line after the alpha. The males follow, determined to raise the young in survival skills and teaching them the knowledge required to live in the Herii Savannah, patrolling the territory and, occasionally, assist with hunting. The young come last, watching their parents and older siblings from a young age, learning through play and imitation.

The recent boom in Helmcats has now been explained by zoologists of Herii. They have progressed to an entirely different behaviour, from their previous one. Where they used to indulge in hour-long sprints of Puffdeer for a single target, each pride has learnt patience. All across the Herii savannah are large and roomy caves. Many prides have now decided to settle down in these caves, and wait for the Puffdeer to come to them. There are several enormous Puffdeer herds across the savannah, so usually it isn’t long in-between massive herds passing by, right outside their doorstep. Their previous method, which was long and tiring, has been replaced with a short but powerful outburst of speed, reaching up to 140 km/h. Their retirement to the caves, have not weakened the prides, only made them engage in smarter methods. In this way, starving Nuru-Nuru will come to the remaining corpses in front of the caves, eager for easy picking. This allows the Helmcat to easily land another kill, on an animal it could otherwise not catch, and thus gaining further sustenance in case a herd of Puffdeer hasn’t passed by in a while.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/09/2018 18:00:13

Garfielf

Multicellular

Krammekat wrote:
Garfielf wrote:This board needs some new contests to keep people entertained. Here's an idea for a contest.

I really dig the idea! I'll see if I can make the time to participate
Are any editors allowed, and how about cheats?
Also, trophies?
*EDIT* Also also, is there a contest tag?

No cheats. I have to view the creature in 3D. Outfitter parts are allowed as long as they’re part of the creature’s body. Also, I’ll still count your entry, but I forgot to mention C&C isn’t allowed.
Pickachufire

Microbe

This is a good idea! I'll get to work shortly! Any other rules/restrictions we should know about? Also, how do I make pictures clicky when typing a response? I want to make pics that take you directly to the Sporepedia page.

I'm a cool cat.

Help creating Galactic Adventures:

Krammekat

Microbe

Pickachufire wrote:This is a good idea! I'll get to work shortly! Any other rules/restrictions we should know about? Also, how do I make pictures clicky when typing a response? I want to make pics that take you directly to the Sporepedia page.

I believe this is what you're looking for
http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/13477.page

Krammekat

Microbe

Garfielf wrote: Also, I’ll still count your entry, but I forgot to mention C&C isn’t allowed.

Thank you in several languages

Snewbew

Microbe

Sounds fun!
I think I might do something real quick since i won't be able to do anything online later this month

Love
Snewbew <3
[MSN]
Snewbew

Microbe

In an island in a tropical planet, volcanic activity released chemicals into the atmosphere that covered the atmosphere, blocking and limiting the entrance of sunlight into that section of the planet for many, many years. This caused many species of plants and animals to go extinct, the very few that survived had to adapt. Million of years later, the sky is visible again and flora spread throughout the lands again thanks to a group of creatures that managed to make use of the substance being released by the volcanoes.

Oxpora - Herbivore Consumer
With the flora expansion, this creature was made to regulate it. It is a big fat eater, it goes around eating all that it can. It is not very fast but fortunately, not many creatures in this island are. This creature has many pores on its back and it uses those spores to absorb the chemicals that are still being released by the volcanoes. It makes a chemical compound inside its body with the volcanic particles that becomes a liquid substance. This substance helps in the regeneration of wounds. It can also shoot out this liquid through its pores as a defense mechanism. This liquid can melt through unprotected skin and solidify when in contact with oxygen. Impaling those who try to make a snack out of it. As a downside, sometimes it solidifies before it has time to properly leave the pore, blocking the pore in question with a magma crystal. Due to its somewhat big size, attackers from below don't have much of a chance of getting anywhere without getting smooshed.

Vulcanica - Carnivore Predator
Although its method of feeding may seem silly, it is a predator. It is not very fast but it doesn't need to be when you can walk an entire continent without tiring. It usually feeds on the blood and magma essence of Oxpora. A group of two or more may cling onto the back of one and start cutting holes and feeding sucking the animal's blood rapidly. They have protective plates on the bottom side of their body, protecting them from the herbivore's attacks, or most of them that is. After the creature is unconscious, they start sipping from the creatures pores before all of the substance within crystallizes. After having a nice feast, they abandon the body, full of the meat in which they didn't consume.

Grass Snooper - Omnivore Scavanger
They have adapted by staying hidden from everyone and eating what everyone had left behind. Although the flora expansion had given them more of an opportunity to rely less on other creatures, they still rely on Vulcanicas to finish off Oxporas. They patiently wait for the Vulcanicas to consume all the liquid the creature possesses to then feast on the lifeless carcass of the giant creature. Using their thicc claws to cut and remove the meat from the body.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/10/2018 00:55:04

Love
Snewbew <3
[MSN]
Pickachufire

Microbe

My turn!

Orlaquos is a planet with severely high water levels, with a few islands scattered here and there. The planet is known for it's beautiful blue sea and it's wild array of creatures. Orlaquos was once a desert, but some time ago some idiotic space captain decided to flood the place. Organisms had to adapt to survive, and that is what they did.

Polyfin - Herbivorous Consumer

This aquatic creature from Orlaquos features many armored fins to help protect it from it's predator, Falgnash. It also features a color pattern that helps it hide underwater and a scorpion-like tail that it can use to jab at it's foes. It roams all over the planet, resting on land and returning to the water to feed on the abundant plantlife down there. They make their homes in small caves slightly below surface level(Researchers found this fact out by walking into the water and getting jabbed by it's scorpion-like tail).

Falgnash - Carnivorous Predator

The carnivorous predator from Orlaquos. It's eyes are so far apart to help it see the illusive Polyfin. It focuses mainly on speed and precision when it comes to attacks, as Polyfin are well-armored. Falgnash only come out at night, hence it's dark color. They sometimes clamber onto shore to chase Shyperr, but they only do this when they're desperate because Shyperr don't provide a very large meal. They don't have permanent home areas, deciding to temporarily bury themselves in sand underwater when they need to sleep.

And last but not least... well, maybe least, they're quite small...
Shyperr - Omnivorous Scavenger

The Shypherr are small, shy creatures that usually stick to the small islands of Orlaquos, and are better suited to do so then most of the other creatures on the planet due to their arms. They do sometimes venture into the water, and they swallow chunks of food whole. They stay together in small packs if they need to fight, but usually they will just make a break for it when things get violent. They sleep huddled with their pack on the small islands littering Orlaquos, with one usually standing guard and alerting the others if danger is near.
Images are clickable, taking you to their respective Sporepedia pages. Thanks to Krammekat for helping me figure out how to do that

I'm a cool cat.

Help creating Galactic Adventures:

InfestedRP

Microbe

INTERIOR CROCODILE ALLIGATOR, I DRIVE A CHEVROLET MOVIE THEATER

While the world of Carphagos is diverse in its landscapes, ranging from equatorial jungles to vast marshes, a location that will be discussed today is the Kui'lar Salt Plains, named after their discoverer, Merin Kui'lar. The plains, born from the evaporation of an inland sea 20 million years ago, are arid and near lifeless. However, with the sparse islands that scattered the sea now becoming small chains of plateaus and mountains able to hold small amounts of fresh water, along with pools of briny water that attract insects from all around, life is able to carry on even in this desolate land.

Predator- Sacarias

Reaching around 3.5 meters (11.5 feet) long, and 450 pounds, The Sacarias, otherwise known as the Salt Fiend by local farmers, is the most adept predator of the Kui'Lar Salt Plains, and is feared by most who know what it is capable of. The phylum they originate from, known as Treopoda, existed only on the sparse islands of the inland sea, out-competed by more advanced creatures, most notably ones of the Eiromorpha and Sariningua families. This isolation, however, ended as the sea evaporated. With it, came quickly the die-offs of several dozen genus of Treopoda. Only the most adaptive were able to survive. Through this, the modern-day Salt Fiend was born.

The white coloration of its rugged skin is a simple camouflage method of hiding in plain sight, blending in perfectly on the flats. From here, it simply waits for prey to walk by, before giving chase, with top speeds recorded at short bursts of 45 miles per hour. the structure of its feet, with the toes fused into two prongs, gives the Salt Fiend relief from the heat-baked ground, and allows for pin-point turning. The fused forelimbs are adapted to use two large claws, used to slam down prey during pursuits.

Salt Fiends are usually solitary predators, chasing off smaller members of their species from marked territories. However, this changes radically when the Wet Seasons of the marshes east of the plains moves into effect. Packs of up to eight have been sighted migrating to the east, where fresh water runs off from the overflowing swamps, providing some Salt Fiends the only fresh water they will drink for the year. The water also pushes out prey items from their homes, giving the Sacarias a chance to hunt larger prey as a pack.

Herbivore- Comunculis

Standing 5 meters in height, and up to half a ton in weight, the Comunculis, known as the Solphus Strider, is a herbivorous treopod from the marshes east of the salt plain, there, they feed on the small fruit-bearing trees that take root after every annual monsoon. However, the monsoon also brings its difficulties. The pronged feet of the Strider bring great difficulty when trying to move through the mud of the swamp. This, and their regular breeding cycle, leads the Solphus Striders to embark on a mass exodus to the islands of the salt plains as the rainy season reaches its peak, following the waters into the flat deserts. Here, they are assailed by the sun, the lack of water, and the roving packs of Salt Fiends.

[gimme a sec and I'll add the omnivore]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/10/2018 04:22:52

Yonikkas

Microbe

Nice contest! I'll try to make my creatures in the next 7 days and I really hope I won't come too late

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/10/2018 18:46:54

Programming since 2017
Languages: HTML, CSS, C++

Forum Index » Spore Community Showcase
Go to: