The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Sporum Town Hall: Improving Communication Between Moderators and Community  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Author Message
SporeMasterMobsterMania


Multicellular

Joined: 01/20/2016 01:02:23
Messages: 462
Offline



Welcome to the Sporum Town Hall!

This thread is designed to facilitate discussion regarding the guidelines, rules, and other norms of the Sporum. This is also where Sporemasters can announce important information at their discretion: this includes changes in the guidelines, interpretation of offenses, and the institution of new procedures and measures. This is also where community members can bring up issues they might have, whether they are suggestions to improve the forum or its moderators, or resolving disputes politely. Just like a real town hall.

I feel that there is not enough effective communication between the community and Sporemasters. I also feel that PMs, e-mail, and Steam need to supplemented by a more public medium. The Town Hall will make the SM's role as community members and guides rather than despots more explicit. This will also keep people from making threads related to the Sporum community itself, and instead they can direct their concerns here. Seeing that controversies flare up from time to time, it's best that we have one place they will be contained in.

So if you have something on your mind, feel free to say it. You won't get banned (unless it's spam, off-topic, or blatantly against the guidelines of course). Someone has an unfair ban? Bring that up. Moderators are not doing their jobs? Please, discuss (and elaborate). Are guidelines not being followed? Show us where.

Rules of Conduct

To keep discussion in this thread civil and meaningful, we will delete all off-topic and derailing posts without warning, and of course posts that violate the Guidelines. Doing so again will result 1 day ban, and this can escalate. If you're going to joke around, this is not the best place.

If you post here, be concise and crystal clear with your concerns or replies/arguments/rebuttals. Sarcastic posts and those intentionally "straddling the line" will be treated with scrutiny and can be considered as an off-topic post which can count toward disciplinary action.

If you are going to dispute a ban, please have a substantiated, detailed, and polite argument to present. We don't need people getting angry at each other. However, you cannot ask someone to be banned (you can cite instances of Guideline violations specific to an individual, though).

Announcements

General

This sounds silly to state, but Sporemasters may not always be there to address your concerns. We are not eternal sentinels. We are people with obligations and AFK time. Please keep that in mind.

April 2016
As you have seen, rotating bans can now be administered. They are essentially permanent bans. We don't intend to use them, but for the most troublesome of repeat offenders there will be little hesitation in the decision. If you have a history of suspensions, you better think twice before derailing that thread or spamming a bunch. You will be warned if your notoriety makes you eligible for said ban. However, for week-long suspensions you may not be warned.

In addition, actions of mischief will be considered offenses toward disciplinary action. Even if it is not explicitly mentioned in the guidelines, any pranksters out there should carefully consider their choices. Sporemasters will not interpret your intentions the same way you do.

Community Concerns

New Rules of Conduct for SMs

LMS has suggested these new rules:

Spore General Discussion » Sporum Town Hall: Improving Communication Between Moderators and Community » Go to message *****
So now that everything seems to have settled down a bit as many eagerly await word from Baza, what about my proposal for moving forward from this point forward?

On the table are the following proposals:

1. That rotating bans without prior warning are appropriate for the offenses previously listed by Doomsoul.

2. That no punishment greater than a 7 day ban should be handed out unless the offender has previously been put on notice that their next infraction may/would incur a punishment greater than a 7 day ban.

3. That any punishment greater than a 7 day ban would be handed down only upon a consensus of the moderators (ie at least a simple majority of active moderators agree).


Permaban Appeals

Darklord has been permabanned by Baza.
We are trying to come to a consensus that this ban is unjust and that it should be reduced, and discussing possible courses of action.

Dragonvoid was permabanned by a Maxis admin in 2012.
Sharples65 wrote:Hey, I want to start a new appeal in getting someone unbanned here. They're currently serving a 10,000 day suspension. This was done around 2012 and the user is Dragonvoid. She has over 10,000 posts on this forum and is also a member of the ECF.

We tried to get Dragonvoid unbanned along with the others, 'STUPIDOO' and 'Paxxon' ('Koopa Trooper'?) and while 'STUPIDOO' did get unbanned, the other two didn't. I'm not including Paxxon in this list simply because he's too inactive and has had no participation on the ECF forums in a while. Dragonvoid (or Rainey over at the ECF) does. Bazajaytee said they would look into Dragonvoid's account but it appears their history was severe and had some violations. And while this is possibly true, let's not forget that this was done over four years ago during the regime of Blackbird and Slime. Which Dragonvoid expressed herself of what happened then between her and the ECF:

Click here to see message

This was posted a few months ago on the ECF.

I think it would be great if we can make an appeal here to get this user unbanned from the Sporum. If we get enough people, then maybe Bazajaytee can re-consider the decision. So I would like an appeal to be added in the OP with Dragonvoid's unbanning.


Rotating Bans
Darklord wrote:
Petition of the Perma
It was stated long ago that the age of perma's was over. Everyone makes mistakes. I, and many others, vehemently oppose the idea of a permanent rotating ban. If a rotating ban is truly needed, it should be a month or two at most. And these kinds of bans should not be quickly thrown out but should be carefully thought over and voted upon by each of the SMs. And if these wishes are not met and a perma is in fact still going to be used now, it should not be a common concept and should be restricted to users who have done something so outrageous that it cannot be contained by any other means of punishment. Examples of this could be hacking (with evidence). And it should also be voted on and carefully thought over.

However, it is still my greatest opinion that the permabans should never be administered. And anyone who agreed with me may post here and say that they want to be added to this and I will add them to this petition:

Petition Signers
DarkLord979
shroober-1
Reblon
DOGC_Kyle
Awdred
eme12
Sean10M
DarkMagickan
dragonboy2006
CaptnSunny
SissyGamer
Sharples

This message was edited 14 times. Last update was at 07/13/2018 21:27:57


ONYONRING


Multicellular

Joined: 01/16/2010 00:03:46
Messages: 246
Location:
Deep Fryer

Offline

Is there any way that recently-locked threads can be removed from the front-page after lock? I think it would facilitate fewer samey threads on an irrelevant topic at large.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2016 00:55:06


woo
midnight1999


Civilized Sporeon

Joined: 02/09/2015 18:11:05
Messages: 4973
Location:
Death X War OTP

Offline

SporeMasterMobsterMania wrote:As you have seen, rotating bans can now be administered. They are essentially permanent bans. We don't intend to use them, but for the most troublesome of repeat offenders there will be little hesitation in the decision. If you have a history of suspensions, you better think twice before derailing that thread or spamming a bunch. You will be warned if your notoriety makes you eligible for said ban. However, for week-long suspensions you may not be warned.


Ah. This'll clear some things up then.

DarkLord979


Spacefaring Sporeling

Joined: 09/07/2012 15:07:15
Messages: 6754
Location:
Inside you.

Offline

First off let me thank you a million times for making this thread. This is what I've wished for for years. Second,

Petition of the Perma
It was stated long ago that the age of perma's was over. Everyone makes mistakes. I, and many others, vehemently oppose the idea of a permanent rotating ban. If a rotating ban is truly needed, it should be a month or two at most. And these kinds of bans should not be quickly thrown out but should be carefully thought over and voted upon by each of the SMs. And if these wishes are not met and a perma is in fact still going to be used now, it should not be a common concept and should be restricted to users who have done something so outrageous that it cannot be contained by any other means of punishment. Examples of this could be hacking (with evidence). And it should also be voted on and carefully thought over.

However, it is still my greatest opinion that the permabans should never be administered. And anyone who agreed with me may post here and say that they want to be added to this and I will add them to this petition:

Petition Signers
DarkLord979
shroober-1
Reblon
DOGC_Kyle
Awdred
eme12
Sean10M
DarkMagickan

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 05/03/2016 09:59:31


[WWW]
SporeMasterMobsterMania


Multicellular

Joined: 01/20/2016 01:02:23
Messages: 462
Offline

ONYONRING wrote:Is there any way that recently-locked threads can be removed from the front-page after lock? I think it would facilitate fewer samey threads on an irrelevant topic at large.


Spam threads are usually removed right away.

I'll go clean up Recent Topics right now.

Areon100


Multicellular

Joined: 08/15/2009 18:37:12
Messages: 134
Location:
A bunker on Casparan, heavily defended by Kas guards.

Offline

I hate to immediately jump on this and get angry about something, but if we had this before rotating bans were suddenly reinstated, you might have been able to ask us about our opinion on the manner.

I'm not saying I disagree with smacking Sharples with the hammer; he's definitely the kind of guy to have done something to deserve it, but was a poll too much to ask? If the sporemasters are at the end of their rope and need more options to adequately deal with repeat rulebreakers, we might have collectively understood. Instead, there was no communication, no feedback, and it all came at a point when we were already hesitant about our mod choices because of a little thing involving a certain word. The timing could not have been any worse. A clearly unpopular form of punishment was suddenly brought back with no warning beforehand, and no attempt to garner approval from the community base you, as the sporemasters, claim to represent the interests of.

Hopefully, this Town Hall deal fixes the issue, but I'm honestly flabbergasted that this wasn't implemented sooner. I thought the mods were supposed to communicate with us about changes in policies to begin with.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2016 01:03:23

[WWW]
shroober-1


Spacefaring Sporeling

Joined: 03/28/2014 19:52:13
Messages: 5338
Location:
Where ever you aren't looking

Offline

DarkLord979 wrote:First off let me thank you a million times for making this thread. This is what I've wished for for years. Second,

Petition of the Perma *snip*

Petition Signers
DarkLord979


I'll sign. Why not? ^_^

I always did find perma bans seemed to have a way of being a bit more... Well, harmful than not.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/01/2016 01:06:19


Sans

You are a quiet, intelligent, and funny person. In most situations you don't bother being serious to anyone, as you enjoy making the ones you love smile with pranks and puns. However deep inside you are an intellectual with many secrets that you'd hate to burden others with. When it comes down to it you can be extremely serious when you're hurt, and will stop at nothing to get your revenge. Seemingly on the outside you also appear as fairly lazy which you are, but you're very strong when you need to be anyway.


SporeMasterMobsterMania


Multicellular

Joined: 01/20/2016 01:02:23
Messages: 462
Offline

I'll update the petition's signatures from time to time, instead of each time a new signatory is added.

Along that line, the moderators may not always be available to readily address your concerns. We aren't sentinels. So concerns may take time to be resolved; please keep that in mind.

ONYONRING


Multicellular

Joined: 01/16/2010 00:03:46
Messages: 246
Location:
Deep Fryer

Offline

DarkLord979 wrote:First off let me thank you a million times for making this thread. This is what I've wished for for years. Second,

Petition of the Perma
It was stated long ago that the age of perma's was over. Everyone makes mistakes. I, and many others, vehemently oppose the idea of a permanent rotating ban. If a rotating ban is truly needed, it should be a month or two at most. And these kinds of bans should not be quickly thrown out but should be carefully thought over and voted upon by each of the SMs. And if these wishes are not met and a perma is in fact still going to be used now, it should not be a common concept and should be restricted to users who have done something so outrageous that it cannot be contained by any other means of punishment. Examples of this could be hacking (with evidence). And it should also be voted on and carefully thought over.

However, it is still my greatest opinion that the permabans should never be administered. And anyone who agreed with me may post here and say that they want to be added to this and I will add them to this petition:

Petition Signers
DarkLord979
shroober-1


While I see your point against the rotating ban, to paraphrase the words of Alfred from batman; "some men just want to watch a forum burn."
There are users who should be expelled from the site, sharples and dogehershies being prime examples. Because they won't see their error in the first place if they don't face ramifications that have consequences.

woo
Runlock


Civilized Sporeon

Joined: 01/02/2016 22:20:32
Messages: 1120
Location:
Dumping chemicals in the water supply to turn the frogs gay.

Offline

I'm not a fan of perma-bans, but when a user consistently breaks the rules immediately after returning from a ban they certainly require some form of advanced suspension.

Reblon


Multicellular

Joined: 10/18/2011 12:22:07
Messages: 499
Location:
New Jersey

Offline

Hi. I'd like to sign the petition...but before my name goes on the list, i'd like to kindly ask; are there any terms and conditions I must agree upon prior to signing it? Thanks.

Best moments on the Sporum
DarkMagickan wrote:i'll play it on all 15 of my accounts
SporeMasterMobsterMania


Multicellular

Joined: 01/20/2016 01:02:23
Messages: 462
Offline

Why would there? It's a petition.

Reblon


Multicellular

Joined: 10/18/2011 12:22:07
Messages: 499
Location:
New Jersey

Offline

SporeMasterMobsterMania wrote:Why would there? It's a petition.


Ah, thanks! Just doing my "safety-first" thing as always. In that case, go ahead and type er' down please!

Best moments on the Sporum
DarkMagickan wrote:i'll play it on all 15 of my accounts
Areon100


Multicellular

Joined: 08/15/2009 18:37:12
Messages: 134
Location:
A bunker on Casparan, heavily defended by Kas guards.

Offline

The perma ban should be treated as a WMD. We have it, but we really don't want to use it, and too many going off at once will destroy everything.
[WWW]
DarkMagickan


GalacticGod

Joined: 01/30/2014 22:49:08
Messages: 10245
Location:
New North Korea

Offline

Areon100 wrote:The perma ban should be treated as a WMD. We have it, but we really don't want to use it, and too many going off at once will destroy everything.

Exactly. And while Sharples seems to have money to burn on new accounts, not all of us do. I spent some "found money" on my DarkMagickan666/DorkLard69 account, but I am out of computers on which to do it. If I end up losing my main account, I'm going to be very upset, especially since I vehemently disagree with three of my suspensions.

Heck, one of those was for the simple act of publicly disagreeing with Slime.

 
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to:   
 
Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © ( EA Dev Build 2018-04-13 15:37:55 ) JForum Team