The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
"Spore has stopped working"  XML
Forum Index » Spore Help
alexzander74

Microbe

Alright so please don't rage on me if this is elsewhere but I've been searching the past few days and haven't found anything that fixes my problem yet, including EA Support.

So I bought spore when it first came out and installed it on a computer. It played alright at the lowest settings and I was happy. Now I wish to install it on a different computer, and I'm encountering this problem.

Problem:
Spore installs normally, and once it's done installing, there is no Icon on the desktop for me to click on. I've found the help on this and it's not my problem. Once I do find the location to start my game, I get the loading circle next to my mouse cursor. After 5-10 seconds I get the message "Spore has stopped working." The generic Microsoft one. I've looked for help from who had the same problem, and what fixed their problem hasn't helped me. I've tried re-installing normally, manually uninstalling then re-installing spore (I think I did it right...), I've tried installing from the digital version, I've tried deleting my files in the hidden appdata folder, I've tried turning off my firewall while starting the game, I've tried running it as administrator, and nothing has worked. Both the CD version and the Download version have the problem. My computer meets the minimum specs, has updated drivers, and is running Vista.

Thank you to anyone who can help me, and I apologize if my post is disorganized or hard to understand.
mocha_cocoa12

Multicellular

Hey this is just a guess of help, but this problem happened to me on a Windows 7 computer. What helped me is downloading the newest verison of Direct X, you could try that, someone told me to do that and it worked. try searching it on google you will find it. Hope this helps!
RagingRaindrop

Microbe

Looks like I've got the most recent, DirectX 11. Thanks for trying!
RagingRaindrop

Microbe

Help would be extremely appreciated. This is a very frustrating problem.
ashkelon

GalacticGod

I've installed Spore on XP, V professional, Win 7 ultimate professional and a virtual machine under IBM zOS, so I wouldn't think it was the OS.

I've had that problem, but usually it stopped once I did a cold start on the machine, meaning completely shut it down and bring it back up from the dead.

If you are only going out to hibernate or sleep, or worse yet not even doing a reboot, this is a common problem with windows.

If you are doing a full shut down start up (not just a restart, which is a warm start), then normally there is something wrong with the install. Spore is notorious for fragile updating. I would consider uninstalling, all parts of Spore (if you have C&C be sure you remove it after Spore).

Do a complete shutdown.

Reinstall and allow it to patch. Do a shutdown restart between each piece of software you install and give it ample time to patch.

It feels to me like your Registry is not right with what's on your HDD.

That is assuming that you did that other stuff in your post. I did read it. Windows is just sometimes very touchy and spore is dependent on the registry.

If you moved to the Online version of the download, remember to use the new online version of the key.

I hope something here helps.

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in, hold you in. MinionJoe, grá mo chroí.
***** Text 'upr8rs R h8rs' to 77673 *****

RagingRaindrop

Microbe

Alright don't have time to do this now but I will when I get home from work. I have removed all my registry things, but I'm not sure where my CD is for the download version because I got it from EA when I called and said mine wasn't working.
ashkelon

GalacticGod

RagingRaindrop wrote:Alright don't have time to do this now but I will when I get home from work. I have removed all my registry things, but I'm not sure where my CD is for the download version because I got it from EA when I called and said mine wasn't working.

They should have converted you to an origin download key. That takes the DVD out of the mix. Do yourself a favour, ask them for the online key.

You also should follow my instructions at the bottom of this post if you are running a machine with multiple CPUs.

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/76581.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/19/2012 06:16:44

RagingRaindrop

Microbe

Alright well uninstalling, shutting down, then reinstalling didn't fix my problem. I may still be having a registry error though.
ashkelon

GalacticGod

Be sure you do what I put in the post right above this one to restrict spore to only using one CPU. This often makes a big difference.

Don't worry if it changes all purple or all white. Just give it time. The patch will go out to the server for every creation in the workspace. It sometimes takes an hour or more. It only does that during the patch.

You should restrict spore to one CPU all the time. That means you have to do it manually every time. Spore was written for single processor machines. It will bog down and die on startup many times if it's trying run using multiple CPUs.

Forum Index » Spore Help
Go to: