The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

TSB's Flagship Contest II 2018 - Results announced  XML
Forum Index » Spore Community Showcase
chantal71

Civilized Sporeon

In a nuke warehouse, pointing ballistic missiles at the United States.

RG4327 wrote:I almost forgot the contest would end on the 12th January...
Here is my entry: the Kuberha http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=sast-501055997598

I'm a complete fool when it comes to posting pictures etc, so you'll just have to look at it ingame.

Boom, fixed your pic.

[WWW]
RG4327

Microbe

Chantal71 wrote:

Boom, fixed your pic.

Aw nice, thanks!!

-RG-
TheShipBuilder

MouthBreather

Various Space ports and Shipyards throughout the Galaxy, Serving as Shipmaster and Imperial Prince

Last day! I am going to update the sporecast tonight when I get home from work. I live in that area that's being hit by the giant snow and Ice storm, so no idea how long that will be. Will post again when I'm done, give the weekend for people to double check the sporecast, make sure I got their creation, then do the judging through next week and have results next weekend.

Good luck!

True Art is in the Words and how they are Perceived.
-Lord Admiral Sorrow
Oya, Vod!

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/TheShipBuilder
[WWW]
TheShipBuilder

MouthBreather

Various Space ports and Shipyards throughout the Galaxy, Serving as Shipmaster and Imperial Prince

Right, Shameless double posting!

PLEASE double check the second post! If your ship is not there and in the sporecast, you will NOT be counted in the judging! I will wait the weekend in case I missed anyone as the search function on the sporum has been hit and miss.

I've also been a little more forgiving on tags this contest than I have been in the past as, well, I'm just getting old I guess and relaxing a bit.

So Speak up if I missed you! If you are having story sharing issues, then send it to me via PM or post it here. Just make sure I get it!

Now I'm going to go review the ships you've entered and make sure my prize is worthy of whomever wins

Have some music while you wait: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBHxDMSlrdg

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/13/2018 05:34:02

-Lord Admiral Sorrow
Oya, Vod!

[WWW]
Mavor

Civilized Sporeon

Look down. You are flying over me right now.

My second entry:
The Star Lance (A blatant rip-off from Dr Who)

A long time ago, in a galaxay far far away.... Yeah, yeah, another plagiarism

An acient and noble race had reached what they thought was the pinnacle of their civilization. Arrogantly they named themselves gods and began to mettle with the very fabric of reality. But, as they tinkered with time and space they drew ever closer to an ancient evil. Soon these Lords of Time were at the gateway of what they thought was a new universe to explore and learn from. Instead they opened a rift between this universe and a universe of pure horror. Although they acted quickly to seal it again, it was not before the "Space Vampires" flooded into this level of being. Huge, monstrous creatures, these wraiths of another plane began to feed on the life-force of the planets of the universe. In so doing, they increased their numbers and infected other worlds. The Lord's of Time fought these minions with every technology their civilization had achieved without success. So powerful were the Vampire that they resisted all of their weapons. Finally ot of desperation, as the latest planet fell to the monsters, a captain set his ship on a collision course with one of the fiends and pused his engines to full. To the astonishment of the admirals, the ship pierced the skin of the vampire and lanced it's heart, killing it. Armed with this new insight the Lord of Time constructed a new class of ship, the Star Lance. (really they called then Bowships, but that was a stupid name) Despite all they had learned on the manipulation of fabic of this reality, the Lords of Time found that they had to rely on the simplest of weapons, a stake through the heart. (Now mind you, each of their stakes was nearly 30 kilometers long and the point of it tapered down to the width of a single electron. Plus it could make the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs. So don't think they weren't all that and a bag if chips.) Anyways. the Lords of Time sent out their ships in the millions to hunt down and destroy the horde of sapce vampires they had released. In a battle that lasted for centuries the war raged across the cosmos. Each Star Lance locating a vampire. Lining up with it's heart and then charging at full speed into the abomination. Only at the last second could the command module detach as the rest of the ship plunged into the leviathan, killing it. And so, the Lords of Time finally triumphed. But even to this day they maintain one last Star Lance to battle readiness should they discover that they have overlooked one of the scourge that they unleashed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/13/2018 15:01:44

TheShipBuilder

MouthBreather

Right, no more entries!

I will go through and judge your creations this week down to each meticulous detail, and have the results this weekend!

Best of luck!

-Lord Admiral Sorrow
Oya, Vod!

[WWW]
TheShipBuilder

MouthBreather

Update:

I've narrowed it down to the final 4. I am NOT going to decide anymore tonight as I feel that decision would be made with some influence from fatigue.

I will tell you that going forward, the decisions between one ship or another may very well be decided on a single 'flaw.'

I have read every description and many of you put quite a bit of effort into those. It's greatly appreciated and they were very enjoyable to read! Non native English speakers, I have been able to understand what your intention was and will not count that against you in anyway. These too will be factored in the final decision, with allowance for non-native English descriptions.

I will share my score card when I post the results. Be advised, a technical score of for example 25 and 24 are viewed as statistically identical. I do not judge based solely on the card, but use it to help verify or challenge my decisions as I go through the process.

Best of luck to the final 4!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/19/2018 07:06:48

-Lord Admiral Sorrow
Oya, Vod!

[WWW]
TheShipBuilder

MouthBreather

Right. After much INTENSE Deliberation, a decision has been made. Several of you submitted simply stunning ships, and coming to this decision was not easy. In the end, I was unable to find a notable fault or shortcoming in the final 5 ships, and only minor concerns in the several eliminated before that. You've all done superb work. My scorecard will be at the end of the post. I understand it's not pretty to look at but it works. Understand that as I worked through ships, I wrote things as I saw them, not with the intention of degrading anyone.

Before we get to the victor, I want to name the Honorable mentions.

Requiem Stage 1 by Gonzalo218:

Salamander by Vlabul:

HMS Reliant by Dragonseye:

Dux by Vlabul:

UHD-11 Last Stand of Teckaleonia by Remmington12:

Monarch Flagship by Cass01:

Spectacular work. None of these ships were eliminated lightly, and in several cases, the decision came down to the sense of presence conveyed by the ship, or handful of tiny part misalignments or one area of the ship that just felt underdeveloped compared to the rest and others.

Please find the Twilight's Edge shared on my page. This ship is awarded to the 4 of you as honorable mentions.

And now, I give you the victor of my 2018 Flagship contest!

ESS 'Guardian of Forever' by Gonzalo218:

A master class in ship construction. Beautiful textures, beautiful construction. Excellent work in providing me multiple stages of development and a great description. And excellent work capturing the sense of presence one expects to find in a flagship. All your final round competitors possessed these traits as well, but your work on the Guardian of Forever completed all these most successfully. Well done. Please find the Vengeful Heart on my page as your award. (Description didn't want to take though it looked under the 4k character count, so it's in comments)

Great work everyone! This was hands down the most difficult contest victor decision I've ever made, but there could only be one ship selected as victor. I am happy to discuss my decisions or comments on my scorecard found below, but the decision is final. Not sure if I'm doing a summer contest this year, but will spam everyone if I do! I'm just worried the two ships I've made as awards don't measure up to the ships I'm awarding them to! lol

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xpXXj2GMfrQ_M5mHft1MoHTtYQtBLUQ4V8by9wa308Y/edit?usp=sharing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/21/2018 23:15:11

-Lord Admiral Sorrow
Oya, Vod!

[WWW]
Mavor

Civilized Sporeon

Look down. You are flying over me right now.

Congratulations to the winners. And thank you for a very well run contest TheShipBuilder!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/22/2018 06:44:45

RG4327

Microbe

Congrats to the winners, truly well deserved
Thanks for hosting an excellent contest TSB!!

-RG-
Gonzalo218

Microbe

Thanks everyone, y'all did great! And thanks TSB for giving us this awesome contest!

[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Nemesis2501

Microbe

Congratulations to all. I am looking forward to the next contest!
TheShipBuilder

MouthBreather

Thank you all for participating.

Next contest I do will either be Fighters and transports(troop and equipment like Pelicans and LAAT's), or supercarrier/dreadnaught sort of thing. Maybe here in a few months, maybe this summer. Need to start building trophy's etc. But, that's for a later date.

Yes, I know I have a lean towards integral flight deck carriers, but they are just so fun to build and take apart.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/22/2018 17:59:28

-Lord Admiral Sorrow
Oya, Vod!

[WWW]

Forum Index » Spore Community Showcase
Go to: