The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Spore on Linux: Works, except I want this issue fixed... And a question for EA admins  XML
Forum Index » Spore Help
wacossusca34

Microbe

Hey, I'm running Spore, and Spore galactic adventures with Wine in Puppy Linux 5.2.8. It works just as good as if it were on a windows system (If not better), except there's one issue - It crashes... Like every hour.

Now I've been playing spore quite often now, and I tend to loose a lot of data, considering I can do quite a bit in between the time I save my game. Is there a fix for this? And does it occur in Other OS's using Wine, and windows?

Also, Now it just miraculously worked, but originally I couldn't post or read other posts on these forums. It gave me the whole webpage, except the part you typed it, replaced with a Java error - And I know what a Java error looks like. I Play minecraft

So If any EA admin can tell me (Or anyone else who can) why this was not working, there's only one change I have made since it has worked - Installed my OS on my new HD, since my old one broke I was using a 32GB USB as a hard drive. It's the same OS - Puppy Linux 5.2.8, and same Java version, and package, so is there a way I could get this to work?

Java version: 1.6.0_22

Thanks, and I love Spore. LOVE it.
psherman

Spacefaring Sporeling

Yeah, the Eaxis team is working on fixing the Java issue with the Sporums, and hopefully they will get done soon. I don't know about the crashes though. Maybe it wasn't installed correctly? And welcome to the Sporum!

wacossusca34

Microbe

Thanks for the welcome and responding!

I assume some Linux nerd will come along here asking for the Wine error, so I'm gonna post it here when I experience the crash again.

It is installed correctly, as I've tried this as a manual installation -(When I was using my USB as my HD, I set it up so It would not be directly mounted, so it would boot from it, load everything in RAM, then save session upon shutdown or the save command - This made it so I couldn't install spore through the installer, since I would need about 5GB or RAM to complete the installation, then save. SO, I had to manually copy the files over from the disk to my boot USB, one at a time, and constantly reboot to flush my ram... that was a pain. I also think spore is supposed to edit the registry :/ I never did that... Still worked though!)-, And I've also installed it one two hard disks... SO it's installed correctly.

psherman

Spacefaring Sporeling

Okay then. So now do you have the CD version or the download version of Spore?

wacossusca34

Microbe

CD
psherman

Spacefaring Sporeling

Okay. Now I have never heard of the computer you use or the sofware. I don't know what Wine is. I use Windows 7. So it could have something to do with the fact that you are using strange sofware to run it and that might be what's making your game crash. Now do you have any other computer you could try it on with say, Windows or Apple or something?

sporemasterblackbird

Spore Master

wacossusca34, Spore is not supported on Linux at all. I am sure you are aware of this, as many games are not supported or fully supported on Linux, whether you use Wine to emulate a Windows environment or not. However, long ago, in a distant forum post, there was a user who ran Spore on Linux using Wine. I would suggest digging for his post in Google. I believe he posted elsewhere about it as well.

Puppy Linux may also have something to do with your current issue. I am no Linux guru, having only run Ubuntu and Crunchbang briefly on "dead" PCs, but I know that Puppy Linux is not intended to be a fully functional copy of the Linux OS, but rather an extremely lightweight alternative to existing distros intended primarily for mobile use.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/13/2011 20:40:14

;
[Email]
wacossusca34

Microbe

"Okay. Now I have never heard of the computer you use or the sofware. I don't know what Wine is. I use Windows 7. So it could have something to do with the fact that you are using strange sofware to run it and that might be what's making your game crash. Now do you have any other computer you could try it on with say, Windows or Apple or something?"

I didnt ask what I should use to play the game. If you do not know what I'm asking, simply do not reply. Linux is an Operating system that is much faster and more secure than Microsoft Windows, or Mac. It's not a computer, it can be installed on both a Mac and a PC, but most people generally install it on PC's, like me.

Wine is an application you can install for Mac or Linux Operating system to run Windows programs. It is not always as effective as running it on a Windows System, but it works most of the time.

"wacossusca34, Spore is not supported on Linux at all. I am sure you are aware of this, as many games are not supported or fully supported on Linux, whether you use Wine to emulate a Windows environment or not. However, long ago, in a distant forum post, there was a user who ran Spore on Linux using Wine. I would suggest digging for his post in Google. I believe he posted elsewhere about it as well."

I actually have it working, FASTER than a windows system, I just have one painful glitch. Apparently not many people have done this before. And also, whether supported or not, many work. I have gotten Halo, Age of Empires 3, Knytt stories, and almost have Crysis as well working. There's still plenty more to list, and most of them can just be ran by clicking the .exe file to start the game.

It's not if it is supported or not, that doesn't matter a whole bunch. I'm not going to use a bugged, slow, over sized OS just to fix a glitch in my game. It would make it go slower anyways.

The most common mistake many beginner wine users make when running installations from a CD is not mapping their drives though -.-.

"Puppy Linux may also have something to do with your current issue. I am no Linux guru, having only run Ubuntu and Crunchbang briefly on "dead" PCs, but I know that Puppy Linux is not intended to be a fully functional copy of the Linux OS, but rather an extremely lightweight alternative to existing distros intended primarily for mobile use."

That is what it USED to be. It has evolved to an OS that even a server would run nicely on (I host two actually), and it also gives me above and beyond functionality that any Windows or Ubuntu OS would have given me. Puppy may only seem small, and may not be the easiest and most supported distro, but it's alot more than what you are saying it is. Maybe you should boot a copy up? Ubuntu is painfully slow on most PC's, while puppy took use of my processor a bit better. It even has 64 Bit support - It's called Fat Dog though. I have not tried Crunchbang though, or ever heard of it.

However, When puppy is installed to a USB, then there are a few downsides. You can alternatively install an hard disk version of puppy on a USB and have it directly mounted, instead of having to load everything into RAM, then having to save sessions. Puppy was originally designed for that, but again, it is much more now.

Thanks though, for taking your time to respond

Any other ideas on how to fix this crash? I haven't got the chance to get the error report, but I'm working on it

Forum Index » Spore Help
Go to: