The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Spore Creepy and Cute Pack:Spore Evolves with New Content,Gameplay and Tools (official announcement)  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

AnotherPoster wrote:
If Will says he is disappointed in the game, sales would plummet. If he says that he is going to work tirelessly to improve the game, then a whole group of people will stand behind and cheer.

Exactly my point. And he could do this as a way of bringing back Science Spore. And, incidentally, making me a happy camper.

Wow, people are incredibly stupid. He shouldn't have apologized.

Absolutely.

I'm the sort to have said, "Tough. The word means what the word means; I stand by it and my usage of it, since I intended no offense. I am sorry you feel offended, but it's Not My Fault™. Get over it." Caving in to the stupidity of other people when you're right legitimizes their deficits...and I'm not okay with that.

The problem is that Spore has become a coloring book instead of a chemistry set

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
AntonioJimenez

Microbe

wow I had mentioned I wanted a quest editor but never actually had hopes that they would put something like that in the game. Looks like there is hope for the game, if they can fix the bugs so ppl can actually play the game before the EP start to come out.

Eekwotsthat

MouthBreather

RocketGirl wrote:
3rdType wrote:RocketGirl, you're basically proposing that maxis remake Spore according to Will Wright's original vision.

More than reasonable.

Fixed it for ya.

But then you want also RocketGirl's Babylon5 Space (Excellent series and well recommended by the way) and and and.. oh this is so easy to do...

Whilst I appreciate that spore is not to your and a lot of other vocal people's taste doesn't mean that it doesn't work as is for some, This "some" could very well be enough to support the franchise and has been mentioned they don't tend to be very vocal having heard enough ranting and raving on this and other forums. You could point to your "We want science spore" but I take take polls like that with a pinch of salt. The proof as to which of us is right will be how successful the spore franchise is in the long run. They will not make Science Spore. They may provide add-on packs to include intoductions to science to include elements though. You may get something you like if you give it a chance to evolve and get rid of preconceived and "I want"ideas.

My opinion,.. at the "start" of the day this sounds very promising. I'll wait until I hear more about how things work and see how the core game in general is supported before I make any decisions as to wether I want to purchase it.

3rdType

Multicellular

RocketGirl wrote:
Wow, people are incredibly stupid. He shouldn't have apologized.

Absolutely.

I'm the sort to have said, "Tough. The word means what the word means; I stand by it and my usage of it, since I intended no offense. I am sorry you feel offended, but it's Not My Fault™. Get over it." Caving in to the stupidity of other people when you're right legitimizes their deficits...and I'm not okay with that.

Similar to Will standing by his work even though some may disapprove. If you don't like it...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 16:34:25

Woosh.
[Email] [WWW] [MSN]
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

Eekwotsthat wrote:
Whilst I appreciate that spore is not to your and a lot of other vocal people's taste doesn't mean that it doesn't work as is for some, This "some" could very well be enough to support the franchise and has been mentioned they don't tend to be very vocal having heard enough ranting and raving on this and other forums.

Given that the number of users still online with Spore appears to be dropping, according to the numbers I've seen other people post, I'd say it's not enough to sustain Spore as-is. Too many people are finding the shallow gameplay too easy to grow bored of.

You could point to your "We want science spore" but I take take polls like that with a pinch of salt.

...about the size of a phonebook, apparently.

Even with a fairly wide error margin, we're still looking at well over 50% dissatisfaction.

The proof as to which of us is right will be how successful the spore franchise is in the long run. They will not make Science Spore. They may provide add-on packs to include intoductions to science to include elements though. You may get something you like if you give it a chance to evolve and get rid of preconceived and "I want"ideas.

The longer they take, the less chance they have of winning over the dissastisfied customers. Giving Spore "a chance to evolve" sounds good on paper, but frankly, it's bullSPORE. Spore DEvolved thanks to the efforts of the Cute team, and correcting that mistake should be the highest priority. Giving Spore a "chance" is too diplomatic, too wait-and-see; you may have noticed that I don't tend to mince words and patience is NOT one of my virtues. And I don't want to be left for YEARS doing nothing more than HOPING Maxis gets a stinking clue.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
Seiniyta

Multicellular

@RocketGirl

To be honest, for a single player game Spore did incredibly good of the number of hours played. Spore is not a MMO you can keep playing. There's the sharing thing, but it's not you can create and share 99% of the time.

Beside, ask twenty causual gamers what Xfire is, and see how many respond correctly.

The game has flaws as it is now, and EA is maybe "ripping us off" but marketing wise, it's brilliant, Release a shallow game, let the gamers whine and then come with expansions that the people really really want because they had yearned it from the start. The Hardcore gamer that surfs over the internet will complain, but the casual gamer, the majority will just buy when they see the adds.

The parts pack seems a bit expensive to some, but hey, would you reject the possibily of earning alot without doing huge efforts?
SoupLLJK

Microbe

The expansion announcement is good news. Making the space game more interesting won't hurt, and I like that the missions will be customized. I definitely won't be impulse buying the expansion like I did with the base game, and will avoid becoming hyped up for it. From the sound of things, though, it could very well make the gameplay more interesting.

It would be pretty sweet if you could link the missions to your creatures. So, for example, I could reveal details about my space age civilization through missions and dialogue. It will, however, be kind of lame if the missions I made are randomly used for any old creature in the sporeapedia.

I'll wait and see how they do it, but this could be just what Spore needed to continue earning its spot on my hard drive.
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

Seiniyta wrote:@RocketGirl

To be honest, for a single player game Spore did incredibly good of the number of hours played. Spore is not a MMO you can keep playing. There's the sharing thing, but it's not you can create and share 99% of the time.

You're kidding, right?

Spore was constantly talked up as being infinitely replayable, about how there would never be an end of the things to see and do. And this is coming from the people who made TheSims...for which this statement is actually pretty true; TheSims will never be the same game twice and truly has emergent gameplay, unlike Spore.

Well, they were half right...you'll never run out of things to SEE; things to DO quite quickly becomes an issue of monotony. There is no emergent gameplay to speak of; the game is FAR too socially rigid and has far too few interaction possibilities with other species to have much variety in gameplay.
But Spore COULD have had the infinite replayability of TheSims...if Maxis had wanted it to.

The game has flaws as it is now, and EA is maybe "ripping us off" but marketing wise, it's brilliant, Release a shallow game, let the gamers whine and then come with expansions that the people really really want because they had yearned it from the start.

That might have been a brilliant strategy a few years ago, but people are cranky now, and wise to these kinds of tactics.
It's evident everywhere, and nowhere more so than the current US election; people want substance, not style, and they're tired of being jerked around. Just look at the public reaction to the debates, for example; everyone wants specifics, not platitudes and promises.
Take that attitude and move it to the gaming industry...Maxis/EA have probably just shot themselves in the foot if they think they can deliver substandard product without consequence, especially if they expect people to start shelling out MORE for the product they thought they were getting in the first place...which they're not going to get even by shelling out more, given what this expansion seems to be about.

"Brilliant"? Hardly.

The Hardcore gamer that surfs over the internet will complain, but the casual gamer, the majority will just buy when they see the adds.

...am I the only one to whom this statement sounds like a pronouncement of doom, a harbinger of the end? "People will see the ads, and then they'll buy!" They write dystopian science fiction novels about that kind of thing!

Jackuul

Civilized Sporeon

3rdType wrote:RocketGirl, you're basically proposing that maxis recall every copy of spore, hire you as a designer, kill Chris, and let you create this fanciful game of your dreams, give it to everyone who bought Spore, and screw them if they don't like your game, as long as you got your game, who cares.

Very unreasonable.

Sounds reasonable to me.

My Sporefile
I own 8 tarantulas. I <3 Spiders
[WWW]
Ccurving

Multicellular

RocketGirl wrote:
...am I the only one to whom this statement sounds like a pronouncement of doom, a harbinger of the end? "People will see the ads, and then they'll buy!" They write dystopian science fiction novels about that kind of thing!

Soon they won't have to bother writing novels.

Now before I say this, let me preface it by pointing out that I am not talking specifically about Spore or any one thing...

But the lowest common denominator is going to drag the rest of society down, before too long. For every one person that actually thinks about things, there are five idiots who just parrot their favorite TV programs and whatever the read on the Interwebz. Intelligent people are hopelessly outnumbered...and half of us are busy taking advantage of the idiots rather than trying to fix things. *sigh*

You should be able to lose Spore definitively...by burning your own race out with stupidity

"Creative anarchy is the path to survival in this universe."
~Chapterhouse: Dune
Jackuul

Civilized Sporeon

Note: See film 'Idiocracy'.

That is our future.

My Sporefile
I own 8 tarantulas. I <3 Spiders
[WWW]
hiki2008

Microbe

More details abouth "Spore Cute and Creepy Pack" :

72 new body parts - 12 per pallet (mouth, eyes, antennae, legs, body & Details)
2 new backgrounds for the spore creature creator - 1 x creepy & 1 x cute
36 new scripts (12 bases, 12 paints & 12 Details)
12 new painting motifs
24 new test-animations - 12 x creepy & 12 cute

[WWW]
Parvati

Civilized Sporeon

Ccurving wrote:

But the lowest common denominator is going to drag the rest of society down, before too long. For every one person that actually thinks about things, there are five idiots who just parrot their favorite TV programs and whatever the read on the Interwebz. Intelligent people are hopelessly outnumbered...and half of us are busy taking advantage of the idiots rather than trying to fix things. *sigh*

You should be able to lose Spore definitively...by burning your own race out with stupidity

Unfortenatly its those people that actually think that they are smart and the rest are a bunch of crackpots.

I'll say it again, its a sad world.
MinionJoe

Spacefaring Sporeling

hiki2008 wrote:More details abouth "Spore Cute and Creepy Pack" :

72 new body parts - 12 per pallet (mouth, eyes, antennae, legs, body & Details)
2 new backgrounds for the spore creature creator - 1 x creepy & 1 x cute
36 new scripts (12 bases, 12 paints & 12 Details)
12 new painting motifs
24 new test-animations - 12 x creepy & 12 cute

Thanks for the info!

Now where are the "over 100 new parts" they mentioned in the press release? Are they counting backgrounds and animations as "parts"? Or is EA completely full of Spoor at this point?

Times MinionJoe Has Been Banned: 5 Times MinionJoe's Opinion Has Changed: 0
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

Jackuul wrote:Note: See film 'Idiocracy'.

That is our future.

See, I keep hoping for a revolution of some kind. Peaceful, hopefully, but a revolution nonetheless.

Intelligent, disaffected people standing up and saying, "No, dammit! I'm sick of this! It's time to make things better!"
But that won't happen. And we all know it. There's a George Carlin sketch on YouTube that I can't post without violating the TOS, alas, but I can post this (again):

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: