The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Ancient Aliens: Real or Ridiculous?  XML
Forum Index » Science and Spore
Poll
do you believe the ancient aliens theory could be true?
Yes, the evidence seems compelling 15% [ 5 ]
Mabye, but some of it makes no sense 44% [ 15 ]
No, the entire idea in insane! 41% [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 34
InGenCorp

Multicellular

Eh, I've never really had much patience with pessimism, to be honest. Sure, people can always be counted on to report that things are bad and getting worse, but you've got to see whether that holds true, and to be honest, people in the past were subject to their own stupid ideas, just as we are today.

Couldar

Multicellular

InGenCorp wrote:...people in the past were subject to their own stupid ideas, just as we are today.

True and the mighty hammer of natural selection rewarded stupidity with death. Since that happens less and less stupidity is going to increase more.

Its annoying when people simply throw out stuff like pessimism. Whenever someone doesn't put on the rose colored glasses or go against the everything is great the way it is line, they get labeled and dismissed.
Pessimistic or not its still the truth.

SporeMasterSlyth33 wrote:Human brain size and structure hasn't changed over the last 6,000 years, our problem solving ability and capacity for learning is roughly the same as it was in ancient times.

I'm not convinced brain size actually has much to do with intelligence. As far as structure goes, nearly everything that isn't plant or insect has similar brain structures. On average capacity for learning may be the same but since we have no worries about any predators other than ourselves we don't do anything with this capacity (again on average). Problem solving is a skill that not many people learn nor are particularly good at.

The biggest thing the human brain seems to do well and without much training is connect dots that may or may not be there. Our "superior" intellect from all the evidence I've seen is just a computer that forces things to connect that after study don't have a connection at all.
As example..people look around and see the edges of the earth all around them, so this leads them to the conclusion that the world is flat.
Human beings speak and build things, so this means we aren't animals and are clearly the superior life form...

EDIT: forgot to add...since we speak and build things and nothing else does this clearly means that aliens taught us how....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/12/2011 21:44:21

[WWW]
Takua01

MouthBreather

Couldar wrote:
InGenCorp wrote:...people in the past were subject to their own stupid ideas, just as we are today.

True and the mighty hammer of natural selection rewarded stupidity with death. Since that happens less and less stupidity is going to increase more.

Its annoying when people simply throw out stuff like pessimism. Whenever someone doesn't put on the rose colored glasses or go against the everything is great the way it is line, they get labeled and dismissed.
Pessimistic or not its still the truth.

SporeMasterSlyth33 wrote:Human brain size and structure hasn't changed over the last 6,000 years, our problem solving ability and capacity for learning is roughly the same as it was in ancient times.

I'm not convinced brain size actually has much to do with intelligence. As far as structure goes, nearly everything that isn't plant or insect has similar brain structures. On average capacity for learning may be the same but since we have no worries about any predators other than ourselves we don't do anything with this capacity (again on average). Problem solving is a skill that not many people learn nor are particularly good at.

The biggest thing the human brain seems to do well and without much training is connect dots that may or may not be there. Our "superior" intellect from all the evidence I've seen is just a computer that forces things to connect that after study don't have a connection at all.
As example..people look around and see the edges of the earth all around them, so this leads them to the conclusion that the world is flat.
Human beings speak and build things, so this means we aren't animals and are clearly the superior life form...

EDIT: forgot to add...since we speak and build things and nothing else does this clearly means that aliens taught us how....

It would be foolishness to say, however, that we are the most advanced species in the universe. The universe is still inconceivable to us, even today. To say that we know without a doubt that nobody else smarter than us is out there shows not only a lack of humility, but also is pretty much today's equivalent of saying that all planets revolve around a flat square called Earth.

[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
InGenCorp

Multicellular

The problem is that you have a very narrow perspective. You look around and see people you think of as sheltered, pampered, and weak, but, for one thing, you're only seeing the inhabitants of first-world countries, and, for another, you don't take the time to fully understand the circumstances of their lives. You see something you dislike, make a judgment, and then move on with your day.

The thing is, though, the world isn't all like you're seeing it. Quite apart from the numerous people, even in rich countries, that have to make their living using the very skills you claim are disappearing, there are the people in other countries who deal with most of the same hardships our ancestors did. The funny thing is, we aren't living in a society ruled by stupidity (you might notice that a complete formal education is becoming more and more of a prerequisite for a well-paying job, leaving the people you claim are "flourishing" languishing in retail and fast-food), and there are no signs that we're moving towards such a society.

While it is true that in the old days, lions, tigers and bears killed off those who weren't exactly cut out for running from, well, lions, tigers and bears (plus those who just had really bad luck), they can hardly be something that would be a positive influence on society. After all, FDR wasn't exactly in a position to run away from anything, but he was still one of the most effective presidents the USA has ever had.

Takua01

MouthBreather

InGenCorp wrote:The problem is that you have a very narrow perspective. You look around and see people you think of as sheltered, pampered, and weak, but, for one thing, you're only seeing the inhabitants of first-world countries, and, for another, you don't take the time to fully understand the circumstances of their lives. You see something you dislike, make a judgment, and then move on with your day.

The thing is, though, the world isn't all like you're seeing it. Quite apart from the numerous people, even in rich countries, that have to make their living using the very skills you claim are disappearing, there are the people in other countries who deal with most of the same hardships our ancestors did. The funny thing is, we aren't living in a society ruled by stupidity (you might notice that a complete formal education is becoming more and more of a prerequisite for a well-paying job, leaving the people you claim are "flourishing" languishing in retail and fast-food), and there are no signs that we're moving towards such a society.

While it is true that in the old days, lions, tigers and bears killed off those who weren't exactly cut out for running from, well, lions, tigers and bears (plus those who just had really bad luck), they can hardly be something that would be a positive influence on society. After all, FDR wasn't exactly in a position to run away from anything, but he was still one of the most effective presidents the USA has ever had.

I don't quite see what that has to do with alien beings, but whatever.

InGenCorp

Multicellular

I was replying to Couldar, not you. If you look higher on the page, you might notice the on-going discussion.

Couldar

Multicellular

Takua01 wrote:I don't quite see what that has to do with alien beings, but whatever.

What this has to do with aliens- we were discussing how moronic it is that people believe that our ancestors MUST have been visited by aliens because there is no other explanation for anything in history.

[WWW]
InGenCorp

Multicellular

And, tied into that, the idea that we are, intellectually, degraded versions of our ancestors. We essentially agree on the first point, but not the second.

wehrmacht223

Civilized Sporeon

InGenCorp wrote:After all, FDR wasn't exactly in a position to run away from anything, but he was still one of the most effective presidents the USA has ever had.

I couldn't let this comment pass without letting you know how strongly I disagree.

Yes, I rip off the art of random dA denizens.
InGenCorp

Multicellular

Okay. You actually could have let it pass, but whatever.

Takua01

MouthBreather

I see where this is going. Let's stay away from politics, okay guys? I don't want a flame war on our hands, if you get my point.

wehrmacht223

Civilized Sporeon

Couldar wrote: are clearly the superior life form...

Who's at the top of the food chain? Humans have the power to wipe out every one of our competitors and control every aspect of our prey's lives.

Of course, "superior life form" is subjective, but from a purely evolutionary standpoint, we are.

Takua01

MouthBreather

wehrmacht223 wrote:

Who's at the top of the food chain? Humans have the power to wipe out every one of our competitors and control every aspect of our prey's lives.

Of course, "superior life form" is subjective, but from a purely evolutionary standpoint, we are.

For Earth at least.

wehrmacht223

Civilized Sporeon

Takua01 wrote:
wehrmacht223 wrote:

For Earth at least.

This is true.

InGenCorp

Multicellular

We effectively control the entire food-web. If we wanted to declare nuclear war on rain-forests right now, we could do it and win.

It would be completely insane, but we could pull it off. You might notice that rain-forests would have considerably less luck declaring nuclear war on humanity.

Forum Index » Science and Spore
Go to: