The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Spore and SecuRom  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
crimsonxwolfx

Microbe

I found SecuROM in my Registry.
3rdType

Multicellular

Godspeed to you.

Woosh.
[Email] [WWW] [MSN]
Battsknox

Microbe

crimsonxwolfx wrote:I found SecuROM in my Registry.

Well of course you did. You have installed Spore. And if I was a betting woman, I would venture to say it is not the only game you own that has secuRom, if you have bought any in the last 6 months- a year, especially ANYTHING from EA.

I am TYPO DIVA, I invented TYPONESE
[WWW]
StevenMC

MouthBreather

it's probably best to delete the whole registry as it's really the only way to get rid of SecuROM.

jk.... don't do that. and stop futzing with the registry lest you find yourself reinstalling windows.

"...are you caulking your shoe?"
[Yahoo!] aim icon
shanweeboy

MouthBreather

um...delete secuROM...u cant play spore....and spore is the only game i have thats from EA(for pc..other EA games i have are ps2 games)

Ima Spore God www.theincompletes.com
go there now!
CJDD01071

Microbe

I'm a little annoyed that SecuROM runs ALL THE TIME on Windows installations. It doesn't need to do this and interferes with my other games. Does it run all the time on Mac?

I say we start a petition for EA to remove SecuROM from Spore. The game has already been cracked, so what's the point of having it?

I'm not a fan of SecuROM, and will not be buying anything else infected with it in the future.

Click mah pictures.

Pyrion

Multicellular

CJDD01071 wrote:I'm a little annoyed that SecuROM runs ALL THE TIME on Windows installations.

No it doesn't. It's invoked when you start the application, it runs its checks, and then authorizes the game to proceed and quits.

Dairuka wrote:Pyrion takes cynicism to a whole new level.

[WWW] aim icon [ICQ]
CJDD01071

Microbe

Pyrion wrote:
CJDD01071 wrote:I'm a little annoyed that SecuROM runs ALL THE TIME on Windows installations.

No it doesn't. It's invoked when you start the application, it runs its checks, and then authorizes the game to proceed and quits.

I'm sorry, but press ctrl+alt+delete right now. Go to the processes tab and find UAService7.exe. This is SecuROM. It is running.

Unless you weren't disagreeing with me and were telling me that it doesn't run all the time on Mac.

I'm not a fan of SecuROM, and will not be buying anything else infected with it in the future.

Click mah pictures.

CJDD01071

Microbe

Seriously. I'm annoyed.

Click mah pictures.

Dragonseye

Multicellular

shanweeboy wrote:um...delete secuROM...u cant play spore....and spore is the only game i have thats from EA(for pc..other EA games i have are ps2 games)

Odd. I found SecuRom in my registry and deleted it and Spore still works. As does everything else for that matter.

"Leatifico Parilis Abyssus"
"Apathy is death" --Kreia/Darth Traya XIII
Electronic Arts; Wronging rights and depressing the oppressed.

StarWarrior

Microbe

There's more to SecuROM than what you can see in the registry. If any of you would like to remove SecuROM completely after uninstalling Spore just follow my sig, or bookmark it for future reference.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/24/2008 23:11:28

CJDD01071

Microbe

Dragonseye wrote:
shanweeboy wrote:um...delete secuROM...u cant play spore....and spore is the only game i have thats from EA(for pc..other EA games i have are ps2 games)

Odd. I found SecuRom in my registry and deleted it and Spore still works. As does everything else for that matter.

See if it reinstalled itself. Also, SecuROM uses null characters in registry entries and corrupt file names to hide its data. Both of these are behaviors common in viruses to avoid detection, and have been known to cause massive data corruption.

Click mah pictures.

dannmann188

Microbe

CJDD01071 wrote:
Pyrion wrote:

I'm sorry, but press ctrl+alt+delete right now. Go to the processes tab and find UAService7.exe. This is SecuROM. It is running.

Unless you weren't disagreeing with me and were telling me that it doesn't run all the time on Mac.

No UA service 7 for me.

I haven't run spore since a reboot though...
CJDD01071

Microbe

StarWarrior wrote:There's more to SecuROM than what you can see in the registry. If any of you would like to remove SecuROM completely after uninstalling Spore just follow my sig, or bookmark it for future reference.

Thank you... Also, I wonder if SecuROM will become like one of the (six total) Linux viruses... Every time someone made a virus for Linux, someone ELSE made another virus to follow the original, patch up the security holes, remove the original virus, send itself to the same people the original virus infected, then delete itself...

Click mah pictures.

CJDD01071

Microbe

dannmann188 wrote:
No UA service 7 for me.

I haven't run spore since a reboot though...

UAService7.exe is the program running in ring 3 of your computer that allows SecuROM to access ring 0 (Kernel) on your computer, EVEN IF YOU LACK THE PERMISSION TO DO SO. In other words, if you are not an administrator, it allows SecuROM to run itself as an administrator. If you are the ROOT ADMIN on your windows machine (I.E. you know little about computers and only set up 1 Windows account) then it doesn't need this service.

Click mah pictures.

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: