The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
The Thrive Project  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
poisson14

Civilized Sporeon

The forum is back up.
The Thrive forum is down. Please do not panic yet.

I'm sorry for taking so long to post this, but here it is! The official Thrive advertisement!

Thrive is widely inspired by the concept behind a PC game called Spore. Though Spore was initially billed as a realistic, scientific game about evolution, the final product got watered down until it had practically nothing to do with science or reality. Thrive aims to succeed where Spore failed. Thrive will be a free, open-source game created by an online community of dedicated volunteers. Our team seeks to accomplish two major goals: create engaging, compelling gameplay that respects our players' intelligence, and remain as accurate as possible in our depiction of known scientific theory.

Upon beginning the game, you will witness the explosive birth of a new Universe. You start out in God Mode, one of the games three modes. The other two are Organism Mode and Strategy Mode. In God Mode, you can raise volcanoes, control the fate of ecosystems, and manipulate evolution itself-like a sandbox game. Organism Mode is entered by choosing an organism and essentially taking control of them. Explore the environment and encounter other organisms, all like a kind of adventure game. Strategy Mode is entered by picking some form of country or other faction, which you control in RTS style.

We realize that the entire idea is hugely ambitious, so we're doing this in parts. Our current goal is to program the Behaviour Editor, a simpler editor where you manipulate the AI of your organisms. A prototype is available at the end of this post. But, we desperately need people to get just this done-programmers, artists, and more!

Our current planned order of development is as follows:
1 ) Conceptualizing
2 ) Microbe Editor
3 ) Microbe Stage
4 ) Organism Editor
5 ) Organism Evolver in a preset environment, with a few NPCs
6 ) Pre-sapient gameplay
7 ) Culture Editor and Sapient Gameplay (On one planet, pre-space)
8 ) Space
9 ) Testing
10) Release

If you would like to be part of this incredible project , and can donate any amount of time at all, we are actively seeking the following:
- Graphic Artists
- 3D Artists
- Legal Advisors
- Project Managers & Coordinators
- Software Developers (Games)
- Scientific Advisors
- Composer (Soundtracks)
- Sound Effects Engineer
- Promoters
- People with cool ideas and visions for the biggest game ever conceived!

We do already have two coders, Bashinerox and PaperGrape, though if you have some coding experience your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

If you are at all interested in contributing, please visit our forums for more info:

Our forums
Current Concept Document

Currently all we have are a few prototypes, most made in scratch. Here they are.

LINK TO SPACE PROTOTYPE

LINK TO CELL STAGE PROTOTYPE

LINK TO PLANET EDITOR

LINK TO BASIC CELL EDITOR PROTOTYPE

Better Cell Stage Prototype

REMEMBER that we are a FreeWare and OpenSource project, and that because of the revolutionary nature and monumental scale of the project, this game will not be completed for some time. We welcome all game developers and we greatly need your help. We're all looking forward to having you on the team!

Thrive

Your world awaits!

We hope to update this thread with any new information, once we get going.

This message was edited 15 times. Last update was at 07/30/2010 23:16:22

blaster97337

Civilized Sporeon

I dont really know, but i have a top hat, so its all good.

good job for finally making this thread, and the OP is well set out

The Temple
The first mission I know of that used bolder traps and snake pits, and the only one for quite some time. (recently some other people used them)
poisson14

Civilized Sporeon

Why thank you, but all the credit should go to US of Alaska. He was the one to write it out, I just posted it here.

Turbosonic98

Civilized Sporeon

I would like to be part of this team. I will be...an Idea Guy! My imagination is huge and I already have bunches of ideas!

If you let me in I'll share them!

Minecraft is awesome. Real men play Minecraft. Go Minecraft!
DoctorWalrus

GalacticGod

Finally! This will get so much more respect now that the other name and the other past are behind it.

poisson14

Civilized Sporeon

Turbosonic98 wrote:I would like to be part of this team. I will be...an Idea Guy! My imagination is huge and I already have bunches of ideas!

Just join the forum. What we really need now are coders, so if you have anu coding knowlegde, it would be most helpful.

Turbosonic98

Civilized Sporeon

poisson14 wrote:
Turbosonic98 wrote:I would like to be part of this team. I will be...an Idea Guy! My imagination is huge and I already have bunches of ideas!

Just join the forum. What we really need now are coders, so if you have anu coding knowlegde, it would be most helpful.

I have a little coding knowledge but it wouldn't at all help with this project.

Minecraft is awesome. Real men play Minecraft. Go Minecraft!
Ricotez

MouthBreather

There's not too much I could do to help you now. However, as of September 2010 I will study Information Science at the Technical University of Eindhoven. Who knows, maybe then...

Sharpesh0t wrote:Im sure you've heard this before, but if you've got nothing constructive to say, then dont say anything at all.

Have you met the inhabitants of planet Gaffe already?
My threads: Space Infrastructure; Six Stages, Twelve Phases; Pacifists and Warlords; If Spore were a book... (Cover Art)
ashkelon

GalacticGod

blaster97337 wrote:good job for finally making this thread, and the OP is well set out

Yes! Finally. Now this project perhaps will get some respect. I don't think anything bad of the project per se, but was not happy with the way it started.

Good job shedding that garbage!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in, hold you in.
***** Text 'upr8rs R h8rs' to 77673 *****

DoctorWalrus

GalacticGod

So has there been a shift in management? What provoked this change?

poisson14

Civilized Sporeon

DoctorWalrus wrote:So has there been a shift in management? What provoked this change?
Sven got mad that we wanted change, so he demoted all of the working mods. Now the place is waist deep in spambot posts. It's amazing the job they did.

Also, it seems that someone made a duplicate of this thread. The duplicate should be locked.

Spiritkitten

Multicellular

Lol, what about game testers? Man, I'd love to help out if I knew how to do any of that stuff. Maybe I'll help throw ideas at you guys on ways it can be made realistic, and I'll look up scientific things to help contribute. I like Spore, and it's fun, no matter how watered down it might be. However, your game sounds fun as well, and really interesting!

Help me raise my dragon, please. Feed it your views. Thanks!

kaleb702

GalacticGod

I'll be a tester for prototypes and such, To find bugs and stuff to be ironed out.
Just send a PM with a version to download each time you have a prototype or something.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/11/2010 04:57:26

Our Father, which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory, For ever and ever. Amen.
[WWW]
poisson14

Civilized Sporeon

kaleb702 wrote:I'll be a tester for prototypes and such, To find bugs and stuff to be ironed out.
Just send a PM with a version to download each time you have a prototype or something.
Great. I'll let you know if we have anything in a few years. Testers are not on the list right now because there is nothing to test. We have a grand total of 1 1/2 coders.

Spiritkitten

Multicellular

So you no longer need ideas, either?

Help me raise my dragon, please. Feed it your views. Thanks!

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: