The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

How to Retrieve Your Game's Registration Key/Serial Number in Windows  XML
Forum Index » Spore Help
OneBlackbird

Spacefaring Sporeling

Retrieving Serial/Registration Keys in Windows Operating Systems

This guide explains how to access your computer's registry to find the individual registration keys for your SPORE game and expansions. It requires that you access and search an area of your computer which contains extremely important strings of data that if corrupted or altered may cause your computer to stop functioning properly. If you are uncomfortable with accessing the registry, you may be able to retrieve the key via EA's website if the game was registered: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/15/5198.page#256672

You can also pay for a replacement registration key: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/14359.page#206299

Accessing the Registry Editor

In order to gain access to your registry, you’ll need to follow these basic steps:

1. Open the start bar and hit "Run." Alternatively, if "Run" does not show up in the start bar normally (as I have seen on Vista and Windows 7 systems) you can just use the built in search bar and search for the "Run" program.
2. Enter the command "regedit" in the little bar. A new window will open with a bunch of folders called "Registry Editor."

Now that you’ve got the Registry Editor open, you’ll need to find a different set of folders depending on the operating system you’re using and whether or not you have a solid copy of the game or a downloaded version.

Windows XP/Vista 32-bit Operating Systems

For Windows XP/Vista32 solid copy:

1. Find the folder that says HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Pop that open by clicking the little plus sign. More folders will appear.
2. Find the one marked "Software" and open that too. Again, more folders will appear.
3. Find the folder marked "Electronic Arts" in the new folders and open it.
4. Now find the folder marked “EA Games” and open it.
5. Now find the folder marked “SPORE(TM)” and open it.

5a. If you are looking for the registration key for an expansion, inside the EA Games folder there should also be folders that say "SPORE Creepy and Cute Parts Pack" and "SPORE Galactic Adventures" depending on what you have installed. Instead of opening the "SPORE(TM)" folder, open the appropriate expansion folder and proceed to step 6.

6. There should be a folder marked “ergc” in there; that will have your registration key.*

*If this folder is not there, see the note at the bottom.

For Windows XP/Vista32 downloaded copy:

1. Find the folder that says HKEY _CURRENT_USER. Pop that open by clicking the little plus sign. More folders will appear.
2. Find the one marked "Software" and open that too. Again, more folders will appear.
3. Find the folder marked "Electronic Arts" in the new folders and open it.
4. Keep opening all folders in "Electronic Arts" until you come to one marked "spore_dd."

4a. The Creepy and Cute Parts Pack should also be inside the Electronic Arts folder and is marked as "spore_bp1." If you are looking for this registration key, open the "spore_bp1" folder and proceed to step 6.

5. Open "spore_dd." Two folders should display. They will be marked "ergc" and "MemberName."
6. Click on the folder marked “ergc” in there; that will have your registration key.

Note: The above method (Windows XP/Vista 32 downloaded copy) is also valid for a Windows XP hard copy if for some reason your ergc folder is missing when you use the first method. I assume it is also valid for a Windows Vista 32 hard copy, but have not tested it myself.

Windows Vista 64-bit Operating Systems

For Windows Vista64 solid copy:

1. Find the folder that says HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Pop that open by clicking the little plus sign. More folders will appear.
2. Find the folder marked “Wow6432Node” and open it.
3. Find the one marked "Software" and open that too. Again, more folders will appear.
4. Find the folder marked "Electronic Arts" in the new folders and open it.
5. Now find the folder marked “EA Games” and open it.
6. Now find the folder marked “SPORE(TM)” and open it.

6a. If you are looking for the registration key for an expansion, inside the EA Games folder there should also be folders that say "SPORE Creepy and Cute Parts Pack" and "SPORE Galactic Adventures" depending on what you have installed. Instead of opening the "SPORE(TM)" folder, open the appropriate expansion folder and proceed to step 7.

7. There should be a folder marked “ergc” in there; that will have your registration key.

For Windows Vista64 downloaded copy

PENDING

Windows 7 64-bit Operating Systems

For those among us who decided to leap right into Windows 7 and use it as their primary OS, see the following instructions.

For Windows 7 Release Candidate 64-bit (Hopefully this will be valid for the actual 64-bit version)**:

1. Find the folder marked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Open it by clicking the plus sign.
2. Find the folder marked "SOFTWARE." Open that.
3. Find the folder marked "Wow6342Node." Open that.
4. Find the folder marked "Electronic Arts." Open that. Please note that there may also be an "EA Games" folder in the Wow6342Node folder, however, this is not the folder which contains the registration keys.
5. Inside the Electronic Arts folder, there is a second "EA Games" folder. This one should be opened.
6. Inside this folder, there will be a folder marked "SPORE(TM)." Open it.
7. There will be a folder marked "ergc." This folder has the registration key.

**Important Note about Windows 7: As far as I can tell, this method of retrieval for Windows 7 is valid for a downloaded copy only, however, I cannot confirm this. I am using a downloaded copy of SPORE, Creepy and Cute and a solid copy of Galactic Adventures. When checking for the key, there were also folders for the expansions marked "SPORE Creepy and Cute Parts Pack" and "SPORE Galactic Adventures" inside the same EA Games folder which contained their own ergc folders and registration keys. Since Galactic Adventures was also present, this method may be valid for a solid copy of SPORE.

For Windows 7 Release Candidate 32-bit:

PENDING

In all cases, the registration key should appear under the data column when you click on ergc.

Credit to trambam and mayhem2008 for providing file path information.

Inexperienced users should not under any circumstances deviate from the instructions in this guide or alter strings of data elsewhere in their registry.

I am still looking for confirmation of the folder path for Windows Vista 64-bit with a downloaded copy of SPORE as well as confirmation of the folder name for a downloaded copy of SPORE Galactic Adventures using the steps for Windows XP/Vista 32-bit systems. I am also looking for information regarding the folder path for Windows 7 32-bit systems.

This message was edited 9 times. Last update was at 07/22/2009 17:35:02

Didzo wrote:There are few things Blackbird enjoys more than the sweet taste of children's tears. This delicious nectar trickles down through the sphincter he calls a soul, giving a shadow of life to the hollowness within. It is the aroma of the deaths of innocence that keeps him lucid in his fetid void of existence. The soft, mournful cry of children is a lullaby to Blackbird as he drifts off to a dreamless sleep. For Blackbird, he is Worse than Hitler.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
OneBlackbird

Spacefaring Sporeling

bump-a-lump

Didzo wrote:There are few things Blackbird enjoys more than the sweet taste of children's tears. This delicious nectar trickles down through the sphincter he calls a soul, giving a shadow of life to the hollowness within. It is the aroma of the deaths of innocence that keeps him lucid in his fetid void of existence. The soft, mournful cry of children is a lullaby to Blackbird as he drifts off to a dreamless sleep. For Blackbird, he is Worse than Hitler.
gstommylee

Multicellular

Person already got it.
OneBlackbird

Spacefaring Sporeling

gstommylee wrote:Person already got it.

Er, what? If you mean the person in the other thread got the key, I know that. This is intended as a guide for all users who have lost their keys and are using Windows. Please read before posting next time.

gstommylee

Multicellular

My apology then you should mention this thread to sporemasternumerator and he'll link it in the master help thread. So you don't need to bump it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/25/2008 05:11:29

SporeMasterNumerator

Civilized Sporeon

gstommylee wrote:My apology then you should mention this thread to sporemasternumerator and he'll link it in the master help thread. So you don't need to bump it.

Added.
[WWW]
RedLightning777

Civilized Sporeon

So in essence, someone at my terminal can edit my registry and obtain my key.. wow. (even hack into my computer and do as such, using a backdoor they found in the Sony DRM. (remember the CD rootkit anyone))

They go to great lengths protecting their product with the DRM but not my key.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/09/2008 05:50:00

The castle crumbles from within. Outsiders will not notice till the last of the walls come down.
Trambam

Multicellular

RedLightning777 wrote:So in essence, someone at my terminal can edit my registry and obtain my key.. wow. (even hack into my computer and do as such.)

It is your responsibility to secure your system.

[WWW]
Firebird1us

Microbe

Nevermind, It was a DVD copy. Found it! But is it looking at the right part in the registry?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/09/2008 00:44:27

shadowlord18

Microbe

will this help fix that other problem with the spore rego not leting you download from the internet
RedLightning777

Civilized Sporeon

Trambam wrote:
RedLightning777 wrote:So in essence, someone at my terminal can edit my registry and obtain my key.. wow. (even hack into my computer and do as such.)

It is your responsibility to secure your system.

I modified my writing it was supposed to be sarcasm but it didn't come out right.

I do keep my computer secure, these days its quite a necessity!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/09/2008 05:53:05

The castle crumbles from within. Outsiders will not notice till the last of the walls come down.
16darkknight

Multicellular

You can also write it down in Microsoft Word and make sure not to delete it and print it.

1.Sporecasts
2.CreationsMostPopularCreations

My Favorite Spore Forum Site
yeebok

Multicellular

Vista users just need to hit the windows key and type regedit. There's no need for the Run command (though in typical M$ fashion you can add it as a pointless option..)

mayhem2008

Multicellular

mayhem2008 wrote:

Those with vista64, the spore regkey should be found in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
-SOFTWARE
--Wow6432Node
---Electronic Arts (There might be EA GAMES in all caps, ignore it)
----EA Games
-----SPORE(TM)
------ergc <-- regkey is here!

Thought I'd add this since vista64 puts things in a different spot than vista32.

OneBlackbird

Spacefaring Sporeling

Thanks mayhem2008, I'll add it to the main post.

Forum Index » Spore Help
Go to: