The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Sentient v. Non-Sentient Creatures  XML
Forum Index » Spore Hints and Strategy
Arghh

Microbe

Is there a way to prevent the game from making some creatures sentient? It seems obvious that some creatures (like insects or coyotes) should remain non-sentient. I mean, I love elephants but a race of sentient elephants have just entered into the space stage in my galaxy and I'm having a bit of culture shock dealing with them; especially since I already have many of them populating the food chain of my terraformed planets.
Rush430

Multicellular

There's no way of preventing the game from making a race sentient that I've seen. Either keep all systems with the lifeform in question in it occupied (only one sentient race per system, of course) or... I suppose genocide is your only other choice.

"May our races never have cause to blow each other up."
-Gribben Diplomat

"Try not to think of it as an army. Try to think of them as a large collection of targets."
-Giftschlange Tactician

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Rush430
[Yahoo!]
Strategist

Civilized Sporeon

Heh, I myself have had the reverse: on my main race's homeworld they have the tribal version of themselves as the T-2 carivore...

The only way (that I am aware of) to prevent non-sentient creatures from entering the space phase is to create lots of sentient ones with the Space clothing editer so the game won't have to use the animals (with this method I've only encountered one sentient creature that also exists as an animal).

(credit to Delta317 for FR sig)

Alexandrads

Microbe

Arghh wrote:It seems obvious that some creatures (like insects or coyotes) should remain non-sentient.
I'm afraid that doesn't seem obvious to me at all, could you explain why you think that?
Arghh

Microbe

Alexandrads wrote:
Arghh wrote:It seems obvious that some creatures (like insects or coyotes) should remain non-sentient.
I'm afraid that doesn't seem obvious to me at all, could you explain why you think that?

Because the bugs that live in my pantry and the coyotes that raid my trashcans don't hop in their spaceships and fly off with my Cheerioes afterwards. If they did, I'd be more scared than mad (but I'd let them keep the Cheerioes).
Rush430

Multicellular

Arghh wrote:Because the bugs that live in my pantry and the coyotes that raid my trashcans don't hop in their spaceships and fly off with my Cheerioes afterwards. If they did, I'd be more scared than mad (but I'd let them keep the Cheerioes).

But these aren't bugs in your pantry, they're bugs from Alpha Centauri 2 who come to spread the word of Spode. Or just steal your cheerios.

Edit: Or more seriously, what demonicpoon is about to say.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/22/2008 22:57:12

-Gribben Diplomat

"Try not to think of it as an army. Try to think of them as a large collection of targets."
-Giftschlange Tactician

[Yahoo!]
DemonicSpoon

Microbe

Because the bugs that live in my pantry and the coyotes that raid my trashcans don't hop in their spaceships and fly off with my Cheerioes afterwards. If they did, I'd be more scared than mad (but I'd let them keep the Cheerioes).

Just because they're not intelligent doesn't mean that creatures that resemble insects couldn't feasibly become sentient. Just because it resembles an Earth creature does not mean it would need to take the same evolutionary path.
Arghh

Microbe

demonicspoon wrote:

Just because they're not intelligent doesn't mean that creatures that resemble insects couldn't feasibly become sentient. Just because it resembles an Earth creature does not mean it would need to take the same evolutionary path.

Okay... let me rephrase...
I don't WANT sentient bugs and coyotes around. They are already smart enough to get away with my Cheerios. Imagine what they'll do with a spaceship! Would you want that on your conscience?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/22/2008 23:07:05

sagittary

MouthBreather

Arghh wrote:
demonicspoon wrote:

I don't WANT sentient bugs and coyotes around. They are already smart enough to get away with my Cheerios. Imagine what they'll do with a spaceship! Would you want that on your conscience?

Arghh the humanity!

Insert comma for multiple meaning fun!

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/sagittary // Images are clickable

Truth is the ultimate weapon. Denial, the ultimate defense.
Rush430

Multicellular

The more I think about it, the more it worries me. I don't want to go outside and have a bird stop me in the street to offer me cake it doesn't have. I especialy don't want it to be working with a coyotee going through my pockets looking for contraband Cheerios.... Genocide is starting to sound less and less like a bad thing. If only my planet busters weren't all bought from housecats.

-Gribben Diplomat

-Giftschlange Tactician

[Yahoo!]
Skymin

Multicellular

Arghh wrote:

Well, if you think of it as a creature that just looks like that, you will feel better. Or, as I do, think of it just as a game, then blow up all of their planets.
[WWW] [MSN]
PlasteredDragon

Multicellular

Arghh wrote:
demonicspoon wrote:

LOL. Fortunately there is a way for you to deal with this: destroy them. Kill 'em, burn 'em, blow 'em away. No more sentient Elephants. But make sure you get 'em all... because they never forget.

But no, there's no evolutionary cap that you can set for other species.

Demonicspoon is correct--what keeps Coyotes and Cockroaches where they are is that there is no available niche for them to fill. If you dropped cockroaches on a planet with only plant life (that they could ingest) and left them there for millions of years, they would evolve to fill all sorts of ecological niches simply because there was no competition in those niches. It's happened many times here on Earth... nix the dinosaurs and the mammals get all uppity. Or in Australia where practically every single exotic and gorgeous species of bird is descended from crows, and marsupials evolved to fill the dog niche, creating marsupials that looked so much like dogs it was a little eerie (Tasmanian Wolf, now extinct).
Crazyhippo

Microbe

I wish that would happen to me. I've got a race of sentient Charizard going on a bet, and they're thriving. However, I want to get a monolith so I can make this Blastoise race I found space-worthy... then blow them to smithereens.
aaaamory

Microbe

Would it be impossible to evolve a creature without graspers? I'm thinking of trying to evolve something with a monolith but I don't know if it'll work because it doesn't have graspers.
OneBlackbird

Spacefaring Sporeling

Aaaamory wrote:Would it be impossible to evolve a creature without graspers? I'm thinking of trying to evolve something with a monolith but I don't know if it'll work because it doesn't have graspers.

Yes, this is possible. Graspers don't dictate whether a creature can evolve or not.

Didzo wrote:There are few things Blackbird enjoys more than the sweet taste of children's tears. This delicious nectar trickles down through the sphincter he calls a soul, giving a shadow of life to the hollowness within. It is the aroma of the deaths of innocence that keeps him lucid in his fetid void of existence. The soft, mournful cry of children is a lullaby to Blackbird as he drifts off to a dreamless sleep. For Blackbird, he is Worse than Hitler.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Spore Hints and Strategy
Go to: