The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Spore Creepy and Cute Pack:Spore Evolves with New Content,Gameplay and Tools (official announcement)  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Ascus

MouthBreather

over 100 parts? I would surely hope so. for $20 it better be well over 100 parts..

100 parts is less than half the parts that are in the creature creator and it was $10.

Check out my Sporecast viewer at http://ciper.com/spore/spore.php
[WWW]
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

3rdType wrote:Oh, alright.

I wish I could go into these kind of threads and actually have a discussion, rather than have it devolve into one of three things.

1. How much EA is Ultimate Satan and will not buy any EA games evar (games like Dead Space or Rock Band...)

2. How much Spore sucks and will never ever love you or treat you like a real man/woman/manbearpig

3. Senseless trolling, belittling, arguing that is not even constructive or open to suggestion (i.e. you love spore!? OMG I HAET U)

Hey, I at least try to have reasons behind my opinions.
And the fact that this expansion simply doesn't address the major concern about Spore is a SPORE good reason to be against it. It's like they're throwing good money after bad. If they'd fix Spore's deficits before expanding it, I'd be a much happier camper. Hell, if they'd even show any interest in fixing Spore's deficits, I'd be a much happier camper. But so far, all they've shown is that--despite the evidence that they're alienating Spore core fanbase--they're going to stick like glue to Spore being and staying the cute version, science be damned.

The problem is that Spore has become a coloring book instead of a chemistry set

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
shinu1729

MouthBreather

FPGenv wrote:I can't believe EA is ripping off you poor muppets. You're going to spend 20-30 dollars for a Space xpac that just allows you to CREATE YOUR OWN MISSIONS?

Something's wrong with you .

And allow you beam down to a planet physically thus making the whole playing environment a whole lot more epic. (and also opening the door for planet surface missions)

I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here come join me.
Tacit_Exit

Microbe

As long as the only possible reward for Mission completion remains Sporebucks/Relationship Bonus/Missionista Badge Progression, custom/expanded Missions will add very little to the game apart from making a very small aspect of it less monotonous.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 15:50:04

3rdType

Multicellular

RocketGirl, you're basically proposing that maxis recall every copy of spore, hire you as a designer, kill Chris, and let you create this fanciful game of your dreams, give it to everyone who bought Spore, and screw them if they don't like your game, as long as you got your game, who cares.

Very unreasonable.

Woosh.
[Email] [WWW] [MSN]
MinionJoe

Spacefaring Sporeling

shinu1729 wrote:Keep in mind, these custom missions aren't going to be like the ones we have now. (Destroy the turrets on this planet, kill infected citezens of that planet) They're going to planet side. I may have to reserve judgment on this.

Just because the expansion allows your creatures to return planet-side does not necessarily mean that the missions will allow you do do so. The mission creator could be nothing more than allowing players access to edit the pre-existing mission system.

But I know you like to read your own spin into things.

Times MinionJoe Has Been Banned: 5 Times MinionJoe's Opinion Has Changed: 0
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

3rdType wrote:RocketGirl, you're basically proposing that maxis remake Spore according to Will Wright's original vision.

More than reasonable.

Fixed it for ya.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
shinu1729

MouthBreather

MinionJoe wrote:
shinu1729 wrote:Keep in mind, these custom missions aren't going to be like the ones we have now. (Destroy the turrets on this planet, kill infected citezens of that planet) They're going to planet side. I may have to reserve judgment on this.

Just because the expansion allows your creatures to return planet-side does not necessarily mean that the missions will allow you do do so. The mission creator could be nothing more than allowing players access to edit the pre-existing mission system.

But I know you like to read your own spin into things.

A man can dream can't he?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 15:55:49

I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here come join me.
3rdType

Multicellular

Has Will stated "omg I haet this game I wish EA would let me LIVE! Why did they DESTROY MY DREAMS!? Why!?!?!"

Because if he hasn't what I said has very real merit.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/13/2008 15:57:23

Woosh.
[Email] [WWW] [MSN]
Tutthoth

Civilized Sporeon

Yes! New parts for king mythological monsters!

There can only be one Ra
[WWW]
RaptorZefier

Multicellular

If you're reading this, you're a creepy stalker. Leave me alone.

Beaming down from the ship? Custom Missions? Well then! Guess I'm sold. That's going to make Space Stage much more fun.

aim icon
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

3rdType wrote:Has Will stated "omg I haet this game I wish EA would let me LIVE! Why did they DESTROY MY DREAMS!? Why!?!?!"

No, he hasn't...and he CAN'T; when you're a public figure, being anything other than disingenuously diplomatic is the kiss of death. One wrong word can make your career go down the crapper...seriously. I've seen it happen.
There was a politician a while back who used the word, 'niggardly' in a public appearance. Well, 'niggardly' has NOTHING to do with a certain racial epithet besides sounding similar:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/niggardly
–adjective
1. reluctant to give or spend; stingy; miserly.
2. meanly or ungenerously small or scanty: a niggardly tip to a waiter.

Well, this poor politician was--ironically, I suppose--essentially tarred-and-feathered; he was forced to apologize in public to a certain minority community and step down from office. All over a word that only SOUNDED like a racial epithet.
And that's the sort of thing WW is probably dealing with; even the barest hint of disloyalty, of a lack of unity, a lack of enthusiasm and being totally, 100% on board with Spore's current incarnation in public could easily ruin careers, whether his or other peoples', or even Maxis itself.

Who knows what he says or how he feels in private? But I suspect he feels like a complete tool for having betrayed and abandoned his original vision for this jumped-up dolly dressup game.

AnotherPoster

Multicellular

Not to derail this thread, but

David Howard incident

On January 15, 1999, David Howard, a white aide to Anthony A. Williams, the black mayor of Washington, D.C., used the word in reference to a budget. This apparently upset one of his black colleagues (identified by Howard as Marshall Brown), who incorrectly interpreted it as a racial slur and lodged a complaint. As a result, on January 25 Howard tendered his resignation, and Williams accepted it.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_%22niggardly%22

If Will says he is disappointed in the game, sales would plummet. If he says that he is going to work tirelessly to improve the game, then a whole group of people will stand behind and cheer.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/13/2008 16:12:28

shinu1729

MouthBreather

Wow, people are incredibly stupid. He shouldn't have apologized.

Ccurving

Multicellular

Curses, RG, you beat me to fixing that quote

If you go back and watch the early videos (Hell, even some of the not-so-early ones), you can hear WW describe the game that he wanted to make, and it doesn't have too much in common with what we have now, at least in terms of gameplay mechanics.

But that aside, my interest has actually been piqued a little bit. I know a lot of people were complaining about the inability to beam down in person...and the mission creator sounds interesting. I'll want someone to break it down for me before I really decide, but in theory it's a cool concept I guess.

Still not sure I'm running about to buy it on release day, but...meh, it honestly sounds better than I expected it to.

By the way, since when does having any sort of issue with a game equate to hating it? By that standard, I've hated every game I've ever played.

"Creative anarchy is the path to survival in this universe."
~Chapterhouse: Dune

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: