The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Ancient Aliens: Real or Ridiculous?  XML
Forum Index » Science and Spore
Poll
do you believe the ancient aliens theory could be true?
Yes, the evidence seems compelling 15% [ 5 ]
Mabye, but some of it makes no sense 44% [ 15 ]
No, the entire idea in insane! 41% [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 34
wehrmacht223

Civilized Sporeon

*leaves*

Yes, I rip off the art of random dA denizens.
Slyth33

GalacticGod

wehrmacht223 wrote:Why not? Things can fall from a tree, it isn't a stretch to imagine something falling from higher up. Humanity is obsessed with the unknown.

You're severely underestimating the brain.

Things fall from space all the time, they're called meteors.

The biblical tale of Sodom and Gomorrah is now believed to be an actual event, where a small asteroid exploded over Europe and the debris immolated the two cities during reentry. Now that's something a sheep herder is never going to forget.

wehrmacht223

Civilized Sporeon

Slyth33 wrote:
wehrmacht223 wrote:Why not? Things can fall from a tree, it isn't a stretch to imagine something falling from higher up. Humanity is obsessed with the unknown.

You're severely underestimating the brain.

Things fall from space all the time, they're called meteors.

The biblical tale of Sodom and Gomorrah is now believed to be an actual event, where a small asteroid exploded over Europe and the debris immolated the two cities during reentry. Now that's something a sheep herder is never going to forget.

Saw that, actually. I'm assuming that *most* humans didn't witness an impact, though. They could still have a mental imagine of stuff falling from the sky.

Yes, I rip off the art of random dA denizens.
Slyth33

GalacticGod

SuperEagleGuy wrote:And who says that that wasn't influences by an alien species as well? As for the people eater, that is inspired by fierce predators, and human fear.

Tomanomanous

Spacefaring Sporeling

The human brain is designed, as a previous poster said, to question the unknown. Civilisation over time has built concept over concept like a master structure itself, and for a skyscraper, it is not that hard for some architect to independently think "What if I made a building with a lot of houses on top of each other?". I think some of you doubt the capabilities of humans. We survived as an evolving species through using our surroundings to make weapons and resourceful tools, and we've been continuing to do so at an exponential rate as our threats like illness and predators are bothering us less and less.

Then again, some alien robot designed to look like a human could have fed Aristotle a lot of his incorrect ideas for the 'lulz'.

CloudyVision

Civilized Sporeon

I've seen this show before, and I would guess that its sole purpose is to get everyone paranoid. Just like a lot of things on the History Channel.

| You don't have to be faster than the bear; you just have to be faster than the people you're hiking with. | My Profile |You noticed this text? Wow, good eyes.

I am: Sir Admiral Cloudberg von Wellington, Viceroy of Tardistan (among other titles).

[WWW]
InGenCorp

Multicellular

It all boils down to a vast underestimation of the human mind, really.

It's interesting to note, by the way, that our visualisations of "aliens" are anthropomorphic nearly one-hundred percent of the time, excluding cases in which the creator acknowledges the aliens to be pure fiction (at which point they strive for creativity in their works). If aliens had visited us, we'd probably picture them as something other than bald humans with larger-than-average heads.

Were it not for the fact that some people I know actually buy into what this show is spewing, I'd be amused by it all.

Couldar

Multicellular

This show, like a lot of the junk on the history channel, is horrible. Humanity in my opinion has degraded; we are dumber, slower, and weaker than our ancestors for the most part.
In "caveman" times (which like the "wild west" didn't really exist) tribal members were not just dumb club wielding morons. If they were we wouldn't exist. These people had extreme mental capacities (by our standards) they had to learn know and pass on so much information that most people now would have their brains explode with just a tiny fraction.
For instance they had to know what kind of plants wouldn't kill them, which could be used as medicine, how to make tools, what materials they could use to make said tools out of and what wouldn't work, how to make fire (it is believed that on average they could start a fire in less than 5 mins with zero prep), build shelters, and make clothes (there is evidence of tailoring so not just a bear skin wrapped around them). They understood the basics of animal husbandry and had domesticated animals, dogs from wolves, cattle from wild bovines to name a couple.

Natural selection at that time made sure that there were no idiots in the tribe, everyone had to participate they couldn't afford to keep dead weight around.

All this said when the idea that "this is to complex for us to make/figure out now means that it was aliens" is to me ludicrous. Take all the above and take it a step further, when you go from tribes to civilizations when one of these "dumb cavemen" figured out agriculture. Now you have tribal specializations expanding and branching into new "jobs". So when a blocks on a building fit so perfectly together it beats our modern computerized equivalents to me it shows perfectly that as a whole we are morons compared to them.

Think about this, in city y family x are stone masons, they have been for every generation and have passed on and improved upon the knowledge of the family. Can you not see this generating processes of stone cutting that are (from our perspective) perfect? It's more probable that they could figure out processes that could allow them, by hand, to surpass mechanical computerized mass production processes that are "good enough" (you know the stuff we use now).

As far as the idea that ancient religions thought that gods came from the sky because they were visited by aliens...
Most ancient cultures saw the sun rise, go across the sky, come down, and disappear "under" the earth. Despite the evidence suggesting that a lot of the ancient cultures actually had some knowledge of the stars, nearly every religion past and present starts with sun worship. Btw before someone points at ancient astrology or astronomy and says that means there were aliens, think about it; after working all day there were no t.v.s to sit in front of, so entertainment revolved around looking up at the stars and telling stories and wondering what was "up there".

As far as the "evidence" of ancient aliens its total b.s. Looking at these things without context and starting with the premise that there were aliens makes people see what they want without looking further or even trying to actually figure anything out and that is just bad science, not only that it is horrible logic that gets people to insane conclusions.

As far as the pictures in the OP (to me): the first one could be a model of a wind vane, a fish, a badge of rank, or a "christmas" tree ornament, a model of a kite (its quite plausible that ancient civilizations had flight tech without
aliens).

The second a guy in a parka with a backpack...

The third...already showed where "gods" came from sun worship. Also having limited understanding of animal husbandry the idea that you could cross breed different species and make stuff like griffins, or minotaurs, or eagle people isn't that impossible of an idea. From there you add in misinformation and miscommunications and boom you have a part animal part human god sculpture or carving. Even modern religions aren't immune to stuff like this misinterpretations or blatant false "teaching" of religions lead to many mixed ideas within religions.

As far as the Nazca lines go, I don't have enough information (nor does anyone else IMO) to say what they where or what they were for... Just looking at them and guessing though, maybe they were mirroring constellations which they thought were important.

Finally the vimana, "chariots" that fly...seems like just imagination to me though as with the nazca lines I just don't have enough info to go on.

Sorry for the wall of text but this stuff just irks me, the arguments that "I can't figure it out so it must mean aliens/god/flyingspaghettimonster done it" is not only annoying but a blatant insult to all humanity and the long road we took to get where we are. If "you" can't figure it out doesn't mean a.) its impossible or b.) no one else can do it, or c.) must mean its supernatural.

[WWW]
InGenCorp

Multicellular

I think you're a bit too hard on modern humans, but you're spot-on about how good our ancestors were.

In my opinion, we are neither better nor worse, overall, than our ancestors. We have our problems, certainly, and our culture has wonky priorities, but that doesn't mean we're a degraded version of the cave-painters at Lascaux.

SporeMasterSlyth33

Civilized Sporeon

Human brain size and structure hasn't changed over the last 6,000 years, our problem solving ability and capacity for learning is roughly the same as it was in ancient times. The advent of written media has made story telling obsolete, that brain power is instead used to store more abstract concepts (in intelligent people anyway, it's used for celebrity gossip in the bottom 50%)

What has changed over the years is our idea of whats a "good investment." Building a massive stone pyramid or carving a stone monolith or erecting a giant bronze statue over a harbor isn't viewed as an acceptable use of manpower and government funds.

That's not to say that we don't still enjoy our displays of obscene wealth and power, we just build aircraft carriers and skyscrapers and colossal concrete dams instead. We like our new age displays of power to be functional as well as intimidating.

We know more about our world now than we ever did then, but only the works of the most brilliant of ancient minds has been preserved. You could say the same at all points in history, human advancement has always been concentrated in a few people of exceptional intelligence while the rest are just along for the ride.

Couldar

Multicellular

Well we have stepped out of natural selection, (I know this sounds cruel but) people that shouldn't survive not only do but they flourish. There is no longer a survival of the fittest but its rather become survival of everyone.
I know this is just a funny movie but Idiocracy shows a pretty good direction of where we are headed...maybe a bit exaggerated but it gives a good idea of the outcomes of our removal from natural selection.

[WWW]
Slyth33

GalacticGod

Brawndo! It's got electrolytes! It's what plants crave!

Hate4Hazor

Multicellular

Inappropiate thread.

I demand a religious sub forum in the Sporum.

STP (Spore Trolling Police)
crazyjoe98

Civilized Sporeon

Hate4Hazor wrote:Inappropiate thread.

Lets see what the Hitchhikers Guide has to say....

Couldar

Multicellular

Hate4Hazor wrote:Inappropiate thread.

hmm seems like police can be trolls as well...

[WWW]

Forum Index » Science and Spore
Go to: