The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Spore on Windows 8  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
neodayao

Multicellular

ashkelon wrote:
DOGC_Kyle wrote:
Well yes, Win8 is designed mostly for tablets, not non-touch laptops and desktops, or larger touch screens. But that doesn't mean it's bad for mouse and keyboard, it still works well that way. If you move the mouse to the bottom left corner (where the Win7 Start pearl used to be), it will bring up the charms menu (the one that's on the right for touch), and pressing the start/super/meta key will return to the Start screen. I actually find it better than the tiny start menu in Win7/Vista (It looked nice, but was horrible for quick, easy navigation). A little tip for anyone trying Win8: "All Programs" can now be accessed through the "Search" option in the Charm menu.

I do a lot of setup for user training and use my mother as the gold standard for OS confusion.

She is used to ME. She trasitioned to XP with no problem (of course) and from there to 7 with minimal problems. The normal look and feel are still there.

But for people like her who are unused to smartphones, etc (as I originally pointed out) the difference in the interface appearance is huge. They get terribly lost and make repeated help desk calls.

And I never use the start menu for navigation, never have. I go back before DOS, and I use WE for everything, but on 7, with a truly functional internal search, I often use the search rather than scrolling thru the start menu. Typing the name or function of the program you want to launch is SO much easier.

Microsoft has noted how much trouble people like me are having with corporate user buyin. THey are being more careful this time around. THey don't want another transition fiasco like Vista that leaves corporations running to Gnome.
Gnome huh? A Linux environment huh?

JUST WHAAAT!?
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
thenoob87

Microbe

So I installed Spore, the installation went fast, easy, and without problems. (I have Windows 8, btw.) But now, when I go to "Computer" and hit the Spore icon (the one that means there's a disk in there) it doesn't do anything. My computer kinda heats up and whirrs for a few seconds then goes back to normal, but no Spore. Help please?
DOGC_Kyle

Civilized Sporeon

You are using the wrong icon. Go to Start, and check if there is a tile for Spore. If there is, use that. If not, open the Charms menu (mouse over the top right corner) and click Search. You will find Spore in there, under "Games". You can launch the game from there, or you can right-click it and "Pin" it to Start or the Taskbar.

If you have Galactic Adventures installed, make sure you use the icon for that, NOT the regular Spore icon (even if you just want to play the regular game).

DOGC_Kyle // Kyle_N
Still alive. Still watching you post.
dinolizard12753

MouthBreather

chasing crickets in my tank and eating them.

that's windows 8 beta for you.

[WWW]
warmslime

Spacefaring Sporeling

dinolizard12753 wrote:that's windows 8 beta for you.

Huh? Wiundows 8 was released in October.

[WWW]
ashkelon

GalacticGod

warmslime wrote:

I've been using it on my slate since November, and it's pretty darn stable.

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in, hold you in. MinionJoe, grá mo chroí.
***** Text 'upr8rs R h8rs' to 77673 *****

warmslime

Spacefaring Sporeling

ashkelon wrote:
warmslime wrote:

I've been using it on my slate since November, and it's pretty darn stable.

Well one of my concerns with Windows 8 are the sidebars, you know these things that pop up when you move your mouse near the edge of the screen. I've only used it briefly and this really made me think that it'd probably not be the perfect OS for a desktop or normal laptop. And it still bugs me that you can't run console programas in full-screen, it seems so pointless (to be fair this isn't a new thing you couldn't do it in Windows 7 either), and the fact that the two browsers don't appear to communicate with each other (and that the Bing app seems rather useless). Well these are all not too important and hopefully they'll be fixed relatively soon, so other than that I think that, since there are freeware mods that make normal desktop the default and bring back the start button it'd probably be the OS I'd buy if I needed a more modern OS (XP works fine for me right now), simply because it's so cheap. I'm purchasing an upgrade disc online from the microsoft site as soon as I get my paypal working cause it's so dirt cheap comparatively speaking. Cause who knows what they'll come up with next. I hope they realise that touch screen isn't the future - more like a fad or a niche market (at least in the desktop and laptop area where Microsoft should be focusing).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/02/2013 02:02:00

[WWW]
ashkelon

GalacticGod

Mine's a Motion Computing slate with no integrated keyboard. It's a full windows PC. I like it because it's not limited in what I run, the way tablets are. I'll prolly go back to win 7 though.

DOGC_Kyle

Civilized Sporeon

Spore is now installing on my new Win8 tablet/laptop hybrid (HP EnvyX2). According to the minimum specs on Spore.com, this PC is powerful enough to run the game, although I assume I will need to use low settings. The PC has an Intel Atom CPU (1.8GHz, I think it'll be good enough), 2GB RAM, and Intel Integrated Graphics with 768MB video memory.

I will post again later once the game is installed, including how well it runs. I'm not expecting a lot in terms of graphics and performance (this is a tablet, not a full laptop), but hopefully I'll be impressed. This is the fun part of having a Win8 tablet over an iPad, Android tablet, or SurfaceRT!

DOGC_Kyle // Kyle_N
warmslime

Spacefaring Sporeling

DOGC_Kyle wrote:Spore is now installing on my new Win8 tablet/laptop hybrid (HP EnvyX2). According to the minimum specs on Spore.com, this PC is powerful enough to run the game, although I assume I will need to use low settings. The PC has an Intel Atom CPU (1.8GHz, I think it'll be good enough), 2GB RAM, and Intel Integrated Graphics with 768MB video memory.

I will post again later once the game is installed, including how well it runs. I'm not expecting a lot in terms of graphics and performance (this is a tablet, not a full laptop), but hopefully I'll be impressed. This is the fun part of having a Win8 tablet over an iPad, Android tablet, or SurfaceRT!

Yeah that sounds pretty cool. The idea of running any full game on a tablet-like slate sounds pretty neat.

[WWW]
ashkelon

GalacticGod

warmslime wrote:
DOGC_Kyle wrote:Spore is now installing on my new Win8 tablet/laptop hybrid (HP EnvyX2). According to the minimum specs on Spore.com, this PC is powerful enough to run the game, although I assume I will need to use low settings. The PC has an Intel Atom CPU (1.8GHz, I think it'll be good enough), 2GB RAM, and Intel Integrated Graphics with 768MB video memory.

Yeah that sounds pretty cool. The idea of running any full game on a tablet-like slate sounds pretty neat.

My portable machines have always been Motion Computing Slates w/o integrated keyboards. They have a wacom digitizer under the gorilla-glass screen and are very well thought out full windows PC's. On my earliest ones (back when you never saw slates "in the wild") I ran Black and White (the old Lionsgate game) and many others, and having direct control of the action by touching the screen is great. I have run spore on my old M1400 for years and it's one of the more rewarding ways to create, since you have the fine and natural control of the pen on the creations.

http://www.motioncomputing.com/

neodayao

Multicellular

A few days after the release of Windows 8, I finally installed it. Awesome

JUST WHAAAT!?
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
warmslime

Spacefaring Sporeling

ashkelon wrote:
warmslime wrote:

My portable machines have always been Motion Computing Slates w/o integrated keyboards. They have a wacom digitizer under the gorilla-glass screen and are very well thought out full windows PC's. On my earliest ones (back when you never saw slates "in the wild") I ran Black and White (the old Lionsgate game) and many others, and having direct control of the action by touching the screen is great. I have run spore on my old M1400 for years and it's one of the more rewarding ways to create, since you have the fine and natural control of the pen on the creations.

http://www.motioncomputing.com/

That's also pretty cool. I'm pretty sure I knew someone that used something between a palmtop and a tablet over 10 years ago, I think he was running Windows CE but I'm not sure. I don't think he could run full x86 apps though!

[WWW]
DOGC_Kyle

Civilized Sporeon

I think I have an old Windows CE "handheld PC" somewhere. It was like a really really small laptop (screen was about as high as a large smartphone, though very wide). It had a full keyboard (although a small one) and no touchpad. It did have a touchscreen, and there was a stylus that could be stored under the keyboard. It was a really nice device, and it is actually thinner and lighter than most laptops today. The lack of USB or any internet connectivity is the biggest issue with it today!

I did get Spore installed on my laptop/tablet hybrid, and it (sort of) runs. The screen flickers a lot and FPS is really low. The game is barely playable, but it is playable if you can deal with the flickering. I would not recommend anyone else bother installing it on a computer like this. The game may work on a more powerful tablet such as the SurfacePro, although I don't have one to test this.

So, no (easily playable) Spore on Intel Atom based tablets/laptops. It is quite impressive the game even launches, considering how old the game is, and how underpowered my laptop/tablet is. I may try a few things to make the game playable, but well, this is not a 2008 gaming PC.

DOGC_Kyle // Kyle_N
ashkelon

GalacticGod

DOGC_Kyle wrote:I think I have an old Windows CE "handheld PC" somewhere. It was like a really really small laptop (screen was about as high as a large smartphone, though very wide). It had a full keyboard (although a small one) and no touchpad. It did have a touchscreen, and there was a stylus that could be stored under the keyboard. It was a really nice device, and it is actually thinner and lighter than most laptops today. The lack of USB or any internet connectivity is the biggest issue with it today!

I did get Spore installed on my laptop/tablet hybrid, and it (sort of) runs. The screen flickers a lot and FPS is really low. The game is barely playable, but it is playable if you can deal with the flickering. I would not recommend anyone else bother installing it on a computer like this. The game may work on a more powerful tablet such as the SurfacePro, although I don't have one to test this.

So, no (easily playable) Spore on Intel Atom based tablets/laptops. It is quite impressive the game even launches, considering how old the game is, and how underpowered my laptop/tablet is. I may try a few things to make the game playable, but well, this is not a 2008 gaming PC.

I have both models of those

They retailed for about $800 when they came out. I was an MVP for the OS, and though it's severly limited now, I'm still able to use them as decent PDAs and subs for office products when I'm out on horseback and need the small form factor.

Ever notice the OS name? WINce

You bet.

BTW, I get on the internet with my WINce machines. Most of them, loaded with newer drivers, can use a PCMCIA wifi card and connect to common routers. I do it all the time. I've also used them for dialup with the old PCMCIA cards that have the RS11 jack the pops out. Mine are mostly Gateway cards, just cause I like the cow-spots.

There is still a very active community for them, still developing apps. I prefer the old Apple Newtons and eMates. There is a much more active community there, and although they are not colour (like the later HP models were), they run a week on a charge or a month on batteries, have the best handwriting discrimination of any device EVER. and are, in their own way, rather hot still.

I'm looking at my eMate now. They are still rather expensive for a 20 yo machine, but it's because they are still so functional. I can still communicate fine with Office 2010 and read ebooks of all flavours.

But obviously, they don't run Spore.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/16/2013 03:10:03

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: