The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
So wait, not only do we have to ask permission to reinstall the game....  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
JPFrostfox

Multicellular

It was already addressed.

sporemasterladym wrote:You are not going to lose your game for posting a comment.

Again, there is no point in grabbing the torches and assuming the worst. As I said before, you are allowed to discuss things as long as it's done in a civil manner.

Believe it or not, EA does listen to your concerns and they are working to make things run smoother.

Also Lady M,

Sorry for making your day difficult.

I am glad to see that the issues are being addressed, truly. I only wanted clarity on the situation and to express our concerns about the quality of the forums.
DarwinsProof

Microbe

Alright well good to hear then, I'm definitely relieved.
SporeMasterLadym

Spore Master

It's okay, I've been out of the loop for over a week due to Spore and traveling so I've been catching up on what's been going on.

I actually was at EA this weekend reviewing some new games coming out. I've always found everyone I've met there to be nice and helpful so I'm sure they will get this sorted out and we can get the forum back on track.

~LadyM~
SporeMaster Sporecast<-- click here to subscribe
"Keep signatures limited to 500 characters max, and limit signature images to 680 wide x 128 high. "
Forum Rules and Guidelines <-- Please read and follow.
[WWW]
Mussashi

Microbe

jalf wrote:... but we can *also* lose access to the game we bought simply by mentioning the DRM word on this forum? Where exactly does it say? I've looked through my game manual, and nowhere does it say "If you complain about issues that make us look bad, we'll ban you from the game". (For that matter, how come it doesn't say anything about this on the box? Because according to EA there is nothing unfair about it at all. So why not inform customers of the terms of use *before* they fork out $? I believe that is common practice in most industries, and actually a legal requirement in quite a large number of countries.)

I'd just love to see how that holds up in court.

From http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/3869.page
SecuROM as been discussed and discussed so much and it causes arguments in threads. If you want to talk about DRM SecuROM then please use another fansite forum. If there is any change you will be able to read it on the official Spore site.

Please do not continue to post theses thread or you account may be at risk of banning which in some cases would mean you would need to buy a new copy to play Spore.

Right, Spore is officially the last EA game I buy.

You just insist on digging a deeper and deeper hole for yourselves, eh? First, you harrass and punish your legal users (without in any way inconveniencing those who pirated the game). Then you throw a tantrum when people bring up this problem on the forum (I guess we'll have to complain about it on Amazon then? ). And finally, you threaten to make our purchase invalid if we don't pretend to love everything about the game. I am so close to returning my copy of Spore. It was fun to play for a few days, but it's just not worth the hassle.

How a company can be so out of touch with its customers is beyond me. It'll surprise me if EA is still around in 5 years. I just hope they don't take too many others down with them.
Freedom of speech is being banned?

EA or whoever..how dare you. I hope you read these forums and see how much you have pissed off your customers. You are one of the worst run companies I have seen ever! You are and have put into place rules and guidelines that only push us away, and make our gaming experience with you an awful one.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/23/2008 19:22:31

Mussashi

Microbe

jpfrostfox wrote:It was already addressed.

sporemasterladym wrote:You are not going to lose your game for posting a comment.

Again, there is no point in grabbing the torches and assuming the worst. As I said before, you are allowed to discuss things as long as it's done in a civil manner.

Believe it or not, EA does listen to your concerns and they are working to make things run smoother.

Also Lady M,

Sorry for making your day difficult.

I am glad to see that the issues are being addressed, truly. I only wanted clarity on the situation and to express our concerns about the quality of the forums.
Missed this...

EA: Ok, then if you want to do it right, post updates and lower the cost of a new expansion!

Cysgodi

Multicellular

Muss, has there been any mention of a cost for an expansion? Why does everyone just assume that any expansion will cost money? I'm not saying it will or it won't but you don't know either now do you?

Again as everyone else on here has said, stop jumping to conclusions.

Sredni

Microbe

lol, in all my time playing games and posting on their forums I've never heard of a company who will ban your game account for forum activity lol. No mmporg has ever done so, forum activity can result in forum bans, it doesn't effect your actual game.

Trust EA to reach this new low in corporate heavy handedness.

I too remember when EA meant good games, but those days are long since past. EA has long since stopped being a game company and become a corporation who's only purpose is to buy up developers and milk their franchises until they've managed to bleed every ounce of fun out of them.
Cysgodi

Multicellular

sredni wrote: lol, in all my time playing games and posting on their forums I've never heard of a company who will ban your game account for forum activity lol. No mmporg has ever done so, forum activity can result in forum bans, it doesn't effect your actual game.

Trust EA to reach this new low in corporate heavy handedness.

I too remember when EA meant good games, but those days are long since past. EA has long since stopped being a game company and become a corporation who's only purpose is to buy up developers and milk their franchises until they've managed to bleed every ounce of fun out of them.

Did you skip over the the posts where we've been re-assured that won't happen?

theultimateend

Civilized Sporeon

tyger42 wrote:
gritmonger wrote:
tyger42 wrote:No, you can lose your account for posting the thousandth thread trolling about the same gorram topic yet again after the mods have told us to stop. There are a thousand other threads to safely discuss it in that already exist, we don't need new ones.

The idea that activity on a forum could result in essentially a real-world fine is what I find shocking.

Why? There's the same issue with MMOs. Your forum account is attached to your game account. Don't want to lose your game account? Don't act like an idiot on the forums.

And we're not talking about just asking questions on the forum. We're talking about continuing to repost topics that have become spam now, and about 90% of the new posts on the DRM have been childish trolling anyway. The threads break down into flamewars, so the best way to deal with it is to ban the threads.

I actually have never had an MMO keep my game account banned.

I've been quite a trouble maker and gotten banned on a few MMO's wow included (only on forums) and they with a simple request unbanned my account in game (and for wow even on forums).

Just a matter of company integrity. The forum+game ban for them is just because their forum and game share sql dbs.

sporemasterladym wrote:It's okay, I've been out of the loop for over a week due to Spore and traveling so I've been catching up on what's been going on.

I actually was at EA this weekend reviewing some new games coming out. I've always found everyone I've met there to be nice and helpful so I'm sure they will get this sorted out and we can get the forum back on track.

You tell them!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/23/2008 19:48:00

I could have done it better with the same funds and manpower. 'It' being the variable in this statement. - Me

"There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wage possible." - Henry Ford

My website | If I had made Spore!

[Email]
Sredni

Microbe

cysgodi wrote:

I don't generally find it reassuring if the left hand doesn't know what they right hand is saying :p
Cysgodi

Multicellular

sredni wrote:
cysgodi wrote:

I don't generally find it reassuring if the left hand doesn't know what they right hand is saying :p

True but people can make mistakes and it looks like they have cleared the problem up. But if people keep perpetuating the misconception, it only degrades further into paranoia.

SporeMasterLadym

Spore Master

cysgodi wrote:
sredni wrote:
cysgodi wrote:

True but people can make mistakes and it looks like they have cleared the problem up. But if people keep perpetuating the misconception, it only degrades further into paranoia.

YES! I'm trying to stop the mass panic.. don't press that button!!!

I've spent the last few hours here trying to reassure everyone that it's okay. I can understand if you doubt me but that's okay too. Soon you'll be eating cookies out of my hand.

Now I want to play Spore, I hope it's safe to leave for awhile.

~LadyM~
SporeMaster Sporecast<-- click here to subscribe
"Keep signatures limited to 500 characters max, and limit signature images to 680 wide x 128 high. "
Forum Rules and Guidelines <-- Please read and follow.
[WWW]
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

sporemasterladym wrote:
Again, there is no point in grabbing the torches and assuming the worst.

Of course there is...it's FUN!

Haven't had a good burning-at-the-stake in ages!

The problem is that Spore has become a coloring book instead of a chemistry set

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
Pugnap00

MouthBreather

rocketgirl wrote:
sporemasterladym wrote:
Again, there is no point in grabbing the torches and assuming the worst.

Of course there is...it's FUN!

Haven't had a good burning-at-the-stake in ages!

yeah i havent burned anyone alive in a while too <_< >_>

Sweeeet!

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pugnap00
Help my Dragons Grow!!
ZJBDragon

Multicellular

sporemasterladym wrote:They are looking into this. You are allowed to discuss DRM and you will not lose your game.

Ok, thanks.

I think you got this idea from my message, but I'm just retyping this to be clear for everyone else who might not have gotten the purpose of the message. I can understand stopping complaints or discussion about a particular subject. This is a privately owned and operated board where Maxis/EA defines what is and is not discussed as well as whom can and cannot participate. However, revoking one's ability to play their game based on opinions or actions outside of the game crosses into new territory that I think everyone agrees is off limits. This has nothing to do with Securom or DRM, it's all about account setup and management.

mussashi wrote:Freedom of speech is being banned?

EA or whoever..how dare you. I hope you read these forums and see how much you have pissed off your customers. You are one of the worst run companies I have seen ever! You are and have put into place rules and guidelines that only push us away, and make our gaming experience with you an awful one.

This is not a public institution. You have no freedom of speech inalienable right here. Your freedom of speech goes only as far as the operator determines it should go. You can talk about whatever Maxis/EA allows you to talk about because they own, operate, and manage the boards here. Topics off limits are to be avoided.

The issue that is in dispute here is not DRM, freedom of speech, or game quality. It has to do with account management policies in which your actions here on a forum could revoke your ability to play a game. It's a big brother thing, so to speak. As Lady M pointed out, it seems that there's some miscommunication or account management issues that need to be ironed out.

[Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: