The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
SPORE And Windows 7  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
8Jacko9

Spacefaring Sporeling

Does anybody here have Spore on Windows 7? If you do, does it work better or worse? Look nicer or worse? Spill your information! I've heard that Windows 7 should work better with most aplications. But seeing as SPORE wasn't made for Windows 7, it's unpredictable.

Mihndar wrote:I didn't know you were that hot, Nova.
[WWW]
knightadder

Civilized Sporeon

With the grox, wating for the puny empire to return, IF they return, its hard killing a big empire.

8Jacko9 wrote:Does anybody here have Spore on Windows 7? If you do, does it work better or worse? Look nicer or worse? Spill your information! I've heard that Windows 7 should work better with most aplications. But seeing as SPORE wasn't made for Windows 7, it's unpredictable.

SimEarth and Simlife work on Windows Vista, so Spore should work on Windows 7.

Theres a reason for everything, and a reason for a reason.

Player of Neo Terra and Life after the Grox.
ashkelon

GalacticGod

I have run Spore on a late-version BETA release of Windows 7. It worked fine for me.

I did the install of the OS, and later installed Spore. It picked up all of my existing information fine.

There are several people who've been running Win7 and Spore since the betas became available. Look in the help section, I know I've seen some good information there. There is also some in Feedback.

SporemasterBlackbird is running it, for sure and one of the Sporemasters who posts in the help section does, as well.

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in, hold you in. MinionJoe, grá mo chroí.
***** Text 'upr8rs R h8rs' to 77673 *****

Vektrix

Spacefaring Sporeling

Hi, I am getting a new laptop next week with Wiundows 7 on it. Just wondering if anyone was already running Spore of the full release, and if they had any issues with it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/23/2009 12:51:13

[WWW] [MSN]
warmslime

Spacefaring Sporeling

I've known tons of people running it with no problems, then again a few that have issues... but they're not the only ones are they?

[WWW]
Mysticas Galaxia

Microbe

I just got Windows 7 Professional yesterday(woo!)but the game is throwing an error about a missing DLL file. I'll try to reinstall and see if that fixes it. I hope so...Spore is one of my all-time favorite games.

Edit: Yay, got it fixed! Yeah, it seems to run really well. I'd say that Windows 7 is significantly faster than Vista(it makes me think of the speed Vista ran at with the Aero disabled)but it runs that way with all the effects left on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/23/2009 15:33:23

zanzibar196

MouthBreather

I upgraded from windows XP to windows 7... spore launches MUCH faster on windows 7, and generally seems smoother... BUT!! There is one major issue... probably has to do with the fact that I'm running it on a 64 bit version, and not a 32 bit... when I alt + tab to another window... IF I'm in the editor... the game freezes randomly!! Sometimes it freezes, sometimes it lets me alt + tab back and continue what I was doing... it is most annoying... anyone know any fixes for this issue?

(Click the space ship for my spore page)
[WWW] [Yahoo!]
Vektrix

Spacefaring Sporeling

Got Spore running on my Win7 machine and no problems, runs smoother than on my XP machine (I have banned Vista from entering my house).

It maybee because I have a better graphics card in my laptop, but Spore looks better - and finally, I can hear the music in GA.

[WWW] [MSN]
ashkelon

GalacticGod

I still run XP on my critical machines, but my big graphics machine runs Vista, 32 bit version on 64 bit processors... the apps make use of the processors...

I've never had any issues with Vista. It's performed extremely well on this machine. And spore loads in a couple minutes, tops.

I'll be putting 7 on a couple of the less critical machines, but I'm not in a hurry to take Vista off this machine. *shrug* What issues have you had with it?

Vektrix

Spacefaring Sporeling

I never had Vista on ANY of my machines, but my sister has it on her laptop, and they use it where I volunteer.

My main beef was with Vista when it came out. I read a stat somewhere where they said it was released when a massive 75% of software that worked on XP, would NOT work on Vista. I also find that Vista runs amazingly slowly on a network. My dislike runs into Office 2007, where they completely changed the way most of the components appearance and functionality - which is just great as most technical people I know do not like Vista or Office 2007. I have to teach people how to use these things too.

I just decided Vista was not worth it in the end when Microsoft announced Windows 7. I also read somewhere that MS had apologised for releasing Vista too early. I have also heard, again, don't know where, that the next version of Office will go back to the old toolbars style.

Just seems to em that Vista was rushed, and that Windows 7 is what Microsoft wanted Vista to be. However, IMHO, ever other operating system MS come up with always seems to ve either a failure, or badly received.

Windows 95 was not like that much, mainly because it replace 3.11 for workgroups and DOS combination. This was far too much of a departure for many people, and there was a lot of compatibility issues.

Windows 98 was well received in comparison as everyone had 3 years to get used to 95. It was quickly accepted, mainly because Plug and Play was an integral part of the system.

ME was a huge flop in that I only ever knew ONE person who even had it. Having said that, it was better than 98 in that it was slightly more efficient. There just was not enough diffrence between that and 98 to make it worth people using.

XP I think is widely considered their best opearting system to date. I know loads of people who still use it, it also the operating System of choice for businesses. It was the first one with built-in networking and internet security that actually worked (other than NT which was designed for networks). It looked different enough from ME to be seen as a new system, and was very stable - it also had the benefit of not having the blue screen with the message "A Fatal Error has Occured" messages on it.

Vista was rushed, and released far too soon. As already said, there was a massive issue with compatibility. I know a lot of technical people who hate it. It appars to work slowly on networks, and gives users a million ways of doing the same thing - I know of at least 5 ways in which you can shut it down, and I know at least 5 people who use each way. It is for me a terrible tool for teaching new users computing because of this, the choice scares people away.

And finally... Windows 7. It is early days, but even during Beta testing, it was well received. You still have the bewildering choice of options for most functions, but they seem less scary on the system. It runs more smoothly than any of the OS's before (I've even seen Vista run very badly on new PC's). Obviously, too early to say it is a massive success, but I might want to avoid Windows 8 as if it follows the MS trend, it will be very bad.

...man, long post, but as far as I am aware, only small issues involved with Spore on this OS...

[WWW] [MSN]
Paramagnetic

Civilized Sporeon

Somewhere Amongst my Fellow Sporians, see me? Im right over here.

Please Read-

Ive Read through other Threads on Windows 7 that if you are going to Update to this New OS. Please Remember to DeAuthorize your SPORE before you do Anything or else you will lose an Install. Spore Only allows 5 Installs per Game Release, this Excludes ReInstalls on the same Computer. So Please Remember to DeAuthorize your Spore before you do anything Major with your Computer.

Curious how to make Invisible Limb Creatures? --> Click Here <--
8Jacko9

Spacefaring Sporeling

Isn't that illegal?

Mihndar wrote:I didn't know you were that hot, Nova.
[WWW]
Paramagnetic

Civilized Sporeon

Somewhere Amongst my Fellow Sporians, see me? Im right over here.

8Jacko9 wrote:Isn't that illegal?

Well, I Read it Straight Off of an Administrators Comment. So Im Pretty Sure its what your Suppose to do

Curious how to make Invisible Limb Creatures? --> Click Here <--
ashkelon

GalacticGod

8Jacko9 wrote:Isn't that illegal?

Of course it's not illegal -- Maxis gave us the tool to do the deauthoriaztion!

I regularly move spore around between machines to test problems. I have several licenses (bought for friends and family), and we've changed hardware many times on those.

My personal license has been on 9 different machines. I would have run out of installs long ago if not for the deauth tool.

The thing is, you can only have spore on 5 machines concurrently. I can install it on as many physical machines over time as I need to, but it can only be connected to 5 at the very same time.

So any time I do ANYTHING that might leave a license connected to a machine ID that doesn't exist any more (hardware changes, software changes, machine decommissions) I run the deauth tool (there is a link to getting it in help and on the community page) and then uninstall.

Oh, there is the problem that if you have hardware that dies -- or you forget -- and you use up an install on a machine that doesn't exist anymore (like changing the OS), you CAN CALL EA tech support.

When hardware dies, there is no way to deauth first, and EA knows that. The first time I talked to them about a machine I had were the motherboard died, and shortly after that I lost the hard drive, and lost 2 installs in the process, they were not very nice, but since then I have talked to a different support person and he opened the license back up for 2 installs.

I did keep a log of when I had the problems, what they were, and had receipts for the hardware, to support what I was telling him.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/02/2009 14:22:31

sanderdegrote

Microbe

Most games for windows vista should work on windows 7.
I just have windows 7, and no problems yet for me.

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: