The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Better Path to Shopkeeper Functionality?  XML
Forum Index » Spore Galactic Adventures
notovny

Microbe

I'm wondering if anyone has put together a set of advanced behaviors that allows for a creature to function as a Shopkeeper without using up valuable acts. You know, "Give me X and I'll Give You Y."

Especially since the advanced behaviors "Drop X when I'm Holding Y" and "Give X to Z when I'm Holding Y" don't seem to work.

The best I've so far managed to pull off are these:

In this one, the Shopkeeper exchanges coins for grenades.
As I recall, the Advanced Behaviors for the Shopkeeper in this one were:

1. Drop [Coin] when Aware of [Light-Hearted]
2. Give [Grenade] to [Player] when I'm Carrying [Grenade]
3. Pick up [Grenade] when Aware Of [Light-Hearted]
4. Follow [Light-Hearted] when I'm Carrying [Coin]
5. Follow [Player] when I'm Carrying [Grenade]
6. Receive [Any] Always.

The shopkeeper is unaware of the Light-Hearted lamppost from his position near the player, and the grenades are set to respawn with a zero-second delay.

And then there's this one:

In this one, the shopkeeper exchanges a shell for a fish platter. The fish platter sits outside of his awareness range, next to a small "cashbox" building.

Advanced Behaviors are:
1. Give [Shell] to [Cashbox] when I'm Carrying [Shell]
2. Give [Fish Platter] to [Player] when I'm Carrying [Fish Platter]
3. Pickup [Fish Platter] when Aware Of [Cashbox]
4. Follow [Cashbox] when I'm Carrying [Shell]
5. Follow [Player] when I'm Carrying [Fish Platter]
6. Receive [Any] Always.

In both cases, I suppose I should probably have added a 7. Patrol behavior, as it seems to be the only decent way to get a creature to return to a specific location when he's not doing anything else, to avoid him accidentally wandering off somewhere.

Also, since there appears to be no way to prevent the player from going someplace that NPCs must be allowed to go, I'll probably have to resort to invisible regenerating deathmines and an unkillable Shopkeeper, or an unkillable deathbot set to shoot the player if he comes close to the merchandise.

As you can see, the whole setup seems pretty cumbersome. Has anyone come across a better way to make a shopkeeper exchange one item for another without using up acts?
evilpenguinqueen

Civilized Sporeon

Having tea with 01000101 01110110 01101001 01101100 01110000 01100101 01101110 01100111 01110101 011

Nope, sorry.

p.s. Welcome to the sporum, microbe!

CrazyShyness wrote:It's a general rule that movies-made-books, books-made-movies, videogames-made-books, books-made-videogames, movies-made-videogames, and videogames-made-movies suck.
BlackIceV wrote:Asexuals are hard to be anyone's 'type'.

Mini Mods are worse than trolls.
[WWW]
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

Great ideas Notovny.

Here are a couple more ideas:

1. Use two NPCs. Give the coin to NPC1, have NPC1 move near NPC2 when holding coin. Have NPC2 give the item to the player when aware of NPC1.

2. Put the 2nd item behind a gate and make the coin a disguised key.

[WWW]
notovny

Microbe

Hmm. Both of those could work. I'll have to try them. Thanks.
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

rulycar wrote:NPC Exchange items with PLAYER

The gold coin is one color key (it's gate is between 1st NPC and the bottle).
The bottle is a different color key (it's gate is between 2nd NPC and the red key).
Both building fronts are invisible red gates (2nd NPC is set to wander NOT give key to player).

[WWW]
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

Here is another tutorial:
Tutorial - Purchasing Goods

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/04/2009 02:51:30

[WWW]
mcklveen5

Microbe

You could try looking at the Spoffit Calculator adventure. I think the behaviors are set up to do something similar.
RubbishyUsername

Civilized Sporeon

In space - England. In time - now. Along the probability axis - 0.8653446346023642501103972050263582

Could you make it work with health powerups? The only problem is is that they can't be picked up.

Boinked

Civilized Sporeon

Not dying from global warming, or the swine flu.

Maybe they could hand you a key or disguised key to get through a gate and pick up a powerup. If you made three gates lined up, you could put three health powerups in, one between each. Then, the player could "buy" a total of three powerups.

NEED A DISPENSER HERE
[WWW]
The Target

Civilized Sporeon

Madris,Quark System,Andromida, Local Group, Local SuperClutser,Universe

I built a System That you give A small Beast a Cheiftan Staff, While you give a Merchant an axe you get from killing a Oppenet. The Beast will give you a Grenade and the Merchant and Blaster, WHich you use to destory an Epic.
miller0771

Civilized Sporeon

A merchant selling matches at a counter. It's hard to see, but I give it a coin in the beginning.

PICK UP -object- ALWAYS
RECEIVE -currency- ALWAYS
DROP -object- WHEN IM CARRYING -currency-
IDLE -Cheer- ALWAYS (This makes the merchant jump around like a salesman )
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

miller0771 wrote:

A merchant selling matches at a counter. It's hard to see, but I give it a coin in the beginning.

PICK UP -object- ALWAYS
RECEIVE -currency- ALWAYS
DROP -object- WHEN IM CARRYING -currency-
IDLE -Cheer- ALWAYS (This makes the merchant jump around like a salesman )

Can you publish a link to that adventure, because I can't get that logic to work.

NPCs appear to only be aware of carrying 1 object, so that it can't be aware of carrying the object and carrying currency.

[WWW]
Lethe5683

MouthBreather

I actually just played an adventure with excellent shop setups. You should check it out.

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/46575.page

Looking for good adventures to play? Try my Excellent Adventures Sporecast.
Looking for a challenge? Try my Hard Adventures Sporecast.
------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Lethe5683
Crainy

Multicellular

Yeah, i will make a tutorial soon about how i did the shop system in Beneath the Ice.

tonithion

Microbe

I found that there is a way to make a shop clerk creature that physically goes into a teleporter, then he puts the currency, or coin in a cash box, the he picks up a grenade(just the item i chose for this adventure) then he steps through another portal and finally he gives it to you and it only takes like 4 seconds. check out this adventure and look at the shop clerk. I also made a pet clerk if you wanna make a pet. AI Adventure

Imagine ,Create ,Destroy ,That is My philosophical view of the universe. I am not religious!

Forum Index » Spore Galactic Adventures
Go to: