The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Roleplaying, Rise of the Ancients: OOC Thread: Logic Says: "This is just a game."  XML
Forum Index » Spore Roleplay
Poll
Is this a good idea?
Yes, its perfect. 65% [ 67 ]
No, scrap it. 13% [ 13 ]
Needs Work, but not a terrible idea. 22% [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 103
Archereon

Civilized Sporeon

Rawr.

Roleplaying: Rise of the Ancients

New version:

-"A planet in shadows, a planet you shall come to know, as your home, as your own..."

The celestial event known as the Shattering to the denizens of the Milky Way was, to many races, an Armageddon. Nearly all life in our galaxy was literally sent back to the stone age or even completely eradicated by the massive release of energy. Eons before however, there was another event, on such a magnitude, that the entirety of the universe was ravaged. Humans know this event as the Big Bang, and many races believe it to be the creation of the universe. Very little is known of the times before then, even to the most advanced of races. The existence of a universe before our own was only discovered shortly before the shattering, in the mainframe of a Grox warship captured by the Strnon. In the few weeks they had to study the data they came to a single conclusion about this protouniverse. The physics of the universe were nearly identical to our own, however, the density of matter was far greater. Stars ranged wildly in size, from those the size of solar systems, to those barely the size of cities. Yet, something was off about it. There was no natural explanation for why the Big Bang occurred, and so, the Strnon came to the conclusion that the Big Bang was caused by an artificial event. Something intelligent brought about the end of days for the time before ours...

The story now takes place on a planet now. No regions of the world will be described in full detail, instead, a map will be given with general topography and temperature, and it is up to you to fill it. You decide what the planet is full of, whether it is full of ancient ruins, mysterious caves, valleys with a burning star at their center, or even more exotic creations. You decide what resources you have in your lands, whom the land is shared with, what other races live near you, who you interact with. No starting location is necessary. The map will be edited regularly to fit new player contributions. It will be far into the game by the time the entirety of the map is filled.

Gameplay: We all start out as evolved creatures. How fast you progress is up to you, but make it gradual. You can interact with any player at any time so long as A. What continent you are on is yet to be specified, B. you are on the same continent, or C. You have the means to cross to the other player's continent. If your species has yet to meet a certain race yet, make the moment significant

Rules: Subject to change based on player opinions.

-Allow each of the mods to post a log with information on environmental customizations that are yet to be added to the map, NPC's and world events before posting your own Opening Post.

-You can join at any time during the game, even if we are in space. If you feel behind on technology, try and get a more advanced race to take you under their wing and teach you.

-If your goinnless you have a reason (Oasis, special plants, ect.)

-PM the detail of any customizations you make if they are not listed on each of the mod's OPs

-Take into consideration other player's environmental customizations and NPC's.

-There are NPC species, tribes, and later NPC civilizations, and even NPC empires. If your a creature, all three of them can domesticate you. If your a tribe or greater, the latter two can, if superior in force, enslave you. They won't actively try to do this though unless you or another player starts a plotline involving you.

-You are allowed to flesh out your environment in any appropriate way you please, so long as try to be appropriate to your climate, don't put a forest in a desert for example unless its an Oasis or you have other reasons, and don't make your region's abilities overly powerful. You choose when to discover them, and can describe the aspects of them.

-Feel free to "discover" and flesh out an NPC of your own design however you want, and interact with them how you please. Don't make civs and empires before tribal and civ stage respectively, without a mod's permission.

-You can interact with NPCs designed by other players, but make sure that actions you choose for them are appropriate.

-Feel free to start your own sub-plots. In fact, I implore at least one of you to make something up that's big. This is a player driven RP, not a plot driven RP, despite the knowledge of the ultimate ending, the cause is not yet known. Or even thought of.

-You are allowed to start a world event on your own initiative, but be ready to be advised on deescalating the event by a mod if its ridiculous.

-TRY to be descriptive and creative about your race, your race and its storyline

-Keep any plot lines you make open to changes to players not in on it. Feel free though to plan ahead, just don't make any unalterable events unless its absolutely necessary. I'm not even sure how this universe will end...

-No god modding.
-No instant kills in the case of very minor battles. Insta-killing in limited amounts is acceptable in massive battles, don't overdo it though, and don't ever do it in a one on one battle.
-No dodging. If you think a player's actions are unreasonable, ask a mod.

-Don't post irrelevant OOC in the main thread. Feel free to put an OOC in along with a IC post. Relevant OOC posts in the main thread are tolerated, but not appreciated.

-Feel free to use things bordering on magic (psychic abilities for example.), and things defying the laws of physics to an extent. Do not overuse these things, and try to use technology for the same purpose instead of giving your creatures natural superpowers.

-You can post about the actions of any aspect of your civilization, wars, trading, even individual members of your species.

-No Autotranslating languages. Unless your race has a means of communication that doesn't use any sort of language (telepathy or other forms of impression based communications.), you can't communicate verbally to races you haven't communicated with before unless you've learned their language, but you can still interact in any way that doesn't require language.

-You can domesticate creatures if you are a tribe or more advanced, and subjugate other advanced races. Domesticated creatures can't become free unless their owners release them. Subjegated nations can try to rebel, or be freed by their masters.

-Your creature does not need to use technology to its full extent, or at all even. This gap can be filled by biology, or "magic." Make sure if your race has many special abilities, then it is made up for with a lack of technology or biological abilities.

-This game is not about winning, its about fun. If you want to declare war on somebody, or just attack them, go ahead. Want to try and subjugate a civilization, go ahead. You don't need to be the most dominant race in the game, plenty of people took on lesser roles in earlier installments.

-You don't need to have super technology, incredible biological powers, or magic, to participate. Your race can be ordinary and one can still have fun like that.

-You can make up new types of resources so long as they are reasonable.

-Not everyone has their own region to themselves. If two players decide to have a similar region (two people in a desert for example, or one in a mountain, the other in a valley), they can call it the same region, and thereby interact easily.

-Time passes at a variable rate in this RP, 100 years might pass for one person in one instance, only 1 may pass for another person doing a short term plotline.

-This RP is a Sandbox first and foremost. There's no specific regions to pinhole you guys into isolation.

Joining Form

Species Name:
Race Description: Doesn't need to be elaborate if you don't want to reveal too many things about your race
Starting area description (can be anything from a rather mundane setting to something exotic.).

Release Date: When I get a map, if nobody can make one, that'll be a day or two from now.

This message was edited 15 times. Last update was at 11/30/2009 22:17:27

"I am infamous for my attempt to embarrass TheGroxinator with a jar of mayonnaise"-Ne0nus
My sig pic is a link to my profile click it and be amazed.

[WWW]
knightadder

Civilized Sporeon

With the grox, wating for the puny empire to return, IF they return, its hard killing a big empire.

NVM

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/28/2009 21:33:00

Theres a reason for everything, and a reason for a reason.

Player of Neo Terra and Life after the Grox.
Archereon

Civilized Sporeon

Good for you Knight, hopefully they won't distrupt my plans too much.

(Before you ask "What plans", I answer "Exactly.")

"I am infamous for my attempt to embarrass TheGroxinator with a jar of mayonnaise"-Ne0nus

[WWW]
Dermathil

Civilized Sporeon

4TH POST!!! (RESERVED SPOT)

(The comeback of my loved specie that existed back in RP3.)

Specie's name: --==::Riccopdans::==--

-Picture:

Description:

A riccopdan is a scorpion-like carnivorous biped that travel in packs. Even being capable of adapting to a great variety of environments, the riccopdans prefers to live in caves over all else. A riccopdan pack tends to act as a strongly hierarchic community. Due to their diet, riccopdans usually eat any type of meat they can come by. A lone riccopdan even ate another riccopdan of its own pack due to the lack of food.

Being related to the scorpion, it shares it brethen's pincers and it's tail. The pincers of a riccopdan don't seem very practical at first look, they are razor-sharp, capable of cutting through bones easily. The riccopdans can also use them with surprising finesse to manipulate objects such as rocks. Finally, their most potent weapon is their tail. It is coated with a highly poisonous venom (acts similarly to a Komodo Dragon's bite).

Riccopdans are quite fertile animals, capable of having 4 offsprings by year of fertility. A riccopdan usually lives 5 years because of that, but in extremely rare cases where a riccopdan was not as fertile (1 offspring per year), it could live up to 20 years. These "infertile" riccopdans tend to be the leader of the pack. Riccopdans are usually fertile 3 years. (the two other years it is because they are either too young or too old.) Individuals that will live up to 20 years are easily recognizable, as they stay in childhood 'til they are 4 years old. By the age of five, and until it reaches the age of 16, it is fertile, and from age 17 to 20, it is too old to be fertile. At the age of 20, it dies of old age.

Starting Area:

The starting area of the Riccopdans is called the Headlands. They are a series of huge cliffs overlooking the ocean on the northern coast of the first continent. To the east is a quite imposing mountain range, and to the west, beyond the cliff, is a small bay. There are only two ways to enter the Headlands: one being by a pass to the southeast, the other one being by a small river between the cliff and the mountainrange, also to the southeast.

(Picture of the Headlands, taken from the RP3 thread)

(To the south, there is whatever the others want. I may use the Headlands and the nearby mountain-range, so consider it my territory.)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 07/28/2009 13:45:46

don't click this link... Birthday is on September 10th!
My profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Dermathil
My achievements:
SandraMJ

Spacefaring Sporeling

Species: Crocs

Description: Crocs are medium sized creatures that after living many years depending highly on the water, they've finally achieved the independence from it, and learned how to survive in the ground.

Their sight is still a bit blurry, and their movements with their relatively new footed legs are slow, but their voice and hearing are pretty accurate, since they were used to swim and use ultrasounds to orient themselves, and infrasounds to talk to the others.

Crocs aren't too strong and neither very communicative, and usually close their relations into clans, that hunt and explore together, in order to fill their lack of strength.

One of their preferred hunting tactics is using their ultrasounds to stunt their prey and make it easier to hunt and chase other species

Is this OK?

I'm SandraMJ. I draw a comic. You can read it by clicking the banner below. Warning: Swears.

My fan comic about Avatar: http://sandramj.deviantart.com/gallery/#Earth-Kingdom-s-attack
[WWW]
Colossusepic01

GalacticGod

Towering over you like the colossus i am. Don't look up.

OOC: I accept the invitation. I'll post my species after i calm down a little and manage to pick one. because i have a lot of them to choose from.

Archereon

Civilized Sporeon

SandraMJ wrote:Species: Crocs

Description: Crocs are medium sized creatures that after living many years depending highly on the water, they've finally achieved the independence from it, and learned how to survive in the ground.

Their sight is still a bit blurry, and their movements with their relatively new footed legs are slow, but their voice and hearing are pretty accurate, since they were used to swim and use ultrasounds to orient themselves, and infrasounds to talk to the others.

Crocs aren't too strong and neither very communicative, and usually close their relations into clans, that hunt and explore together, in order to fill their lack of strength.

One of their preferred hunting tactics is using their ultrasounds to stunt their prey and make it easier to hunt and chase other species

Is this OK?

Excellently done.

[WWW]
knightadder

Civilized Sporeon

With the grox, wating for the puny empire to return, IF they return, its hard killing a big empire.

We all make a map of a continet we live on?

Theres a reason for everything, and a reason for a reason.

Player of Neo Terra and Life after the Grox.
shadeofmoose318

GalacticGod

Definitely joining. Is there a template for our creatures or do we type up a description about it?

Why can't we all be friends in the Black Fall Thread
YOU! Yes, You there! Reading this? Can you make a signature?I'm taking that as a "Yes". PM me (or SilentEpiphany) if you feel like making a sig.
Kafka's "death sentence"
wolfji

GalacticGod

walking the roads, searching for grave robbing vict- buddies.

OOC:can i join? ill get on the template thing when i can use my spore comp

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/27/2009 20:31:55

[WWW]
ChaosHarbinger

GalacticGod

IMAGE PENDING ON SPOREPEDIA WORKING - ALTERNATIVELY JUST SEARCH 'Calian Drake' WITH THE 'Creatures' FILTER TO SEE THEM

Name: Calian Drake
Description: Beasts of sinew and muscle, with little brain and less interest in acquiring one, the Calian Drakes evolved in an oxygen rift - a series of towering canyons and sheer ravines whose plant life acted as a natural oxygen filter, trapping the gas within the walls and giving rise to monstrous arthropods as the dominant life of the area. Surviving as more regular-sized creatures in this environment consequently meant being the most vicious and by far the most voracious, and Calian Drakes match that profile spectacularly.

Their saliva is a necrotoxic alkali which is very effective at burning through the thick shells and tough hides of their gigantic arthropod adversaries, as well as delivering an agonising poison to their innards, whilst their crude bone structure makes them incredibly heavy-set and resistant to injury, although it also makes them quite clumsy on both the ground and in the air. Indeed, conflict between them tends to be mostly terrestrial, since they can do far more damage with a ground charge than an aerial strike.

Similarly, their enormous appetites and rare chances to feed have given them a bizarre biochemistry. A Calian Drake is capable of metabolising at a phenomenal speed, with even severe and normally life-threatening injuries having the potential to heal in a matter of hours or even minutes, provided that it has fed well and can continue to do so throughout the healing process - but if that is not an option, it can enter a cataleptic state not unlike a coma in which to await a better time to feed.

Klokkwork wrote:The pessimist sees the mind of the optimist as half empty
[Email] [WWW]
Archereon

Civilized Sporeon

knightadder wrote:We all make a map of a continet we live on?

No, we often share continents. You start out with only a general map, and, by gradually describing the area, meet up with other players and fill the blank spots of the map.

Template will come soon.

[WWW]
Ookakooka

Civilized Sporeon

I reserve a spot.

Boo...
Dermathil

Civilized Sporeon

ChaosHarbinger wrote:IMAGE PENDING ON SPOREPEDIA WORKING - ALTERNATIVELY JUST SEARCH 'Calian Drake' WITH THE 'Creatures' FILTER TO SEE THEM

Name: Calian Drake
Description: Beasts of sinew and muscle, with little brain and less interest in acquiring one, the Calian Drakes evolved in an oxygen rift - a series of towering canyons and sheer ravines whose plant life acted as a natural oxygen filter, trapping the gas within the walls and giving rise to monstrous arthropods as the dominant life of the area. Surviving as more regular-sized creatures in this environment consequently meant being the most vicious and by far the most voracious, and Calian Drakes match that profile spectacularly.

Their saliva is a necrotoxic alkali which is very effective at burning through the thick shells and tough hides of their gigantic arthropod adversaries, as well as delivering an agonising poison to their innards, whilst their crude bone structure makes them incredibly heavy-set and resistant to injury, although it also makes them quite clumsy on both the ground and in the air. Indeed, conflict between them tends to be mostly terrestrial, since they can do far more damage with a ground charge than an aerial strike.

Similarly, their enormous appetites and rare chances to feed have given them a bizarre biochemistry. A Calian Drake is capable of metabolising at a phenomenal speed, with even severe and normally life-threatening injuries having the potential to heal in a matter of hours or even minutes, provided that it has fed well and can continue to do so throughout the healing process - but if that is not an option, it can enter a cataleptic state not unlike a coma in which to await a better time to feed.

Might make a nice adversary for my riccopdans.

don't click this link... Birthday is on September 10th!
My profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Dermathil
My achievements:
shadeofmoose318

GalacticGod

Can't wait for the template so we can get started!

Why can't we all be friends in the Black Fall Thread
YOU! Yes, You there! Reading this? Can you make a signature?I'm taking that as a "Yes". PM me (or SilentEpiphany) if you feel like making a sig.
Kafka's "death sentence"

Forum Index » Spore Roleplay
Go to: