The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Whom Gods Destroy (A modern tragedy) - PATCH 5 EDITION  XML
Forum Index » Adventure Corner
Ryuujin

Civilized Sporeon

Final Release Version
This is the final edition - I have no plans to update it further unless some previously unknown game breaking bug emerges. This version has fixed all known bugs to date (for a full list of changes check the changelog later in this topic), as well as rebalanced act 5 and 7 significantly to be more compelling and... prettier? (Or more nightmarish) takign advantage of new features we got in Patch 5.

In addition, Patch 5.1 fixed many of the issues that rendered it temporarily unfinishable and broke the caves visually.

Sweet dreams

The trailer was made a few days ago and takes place after the adventure, the actual adventure differs slightly in layout and quality

The Scene...
Passing through a remote, seemingly unpopulated system our captain picks up an unusual signature, some kind of artifact most likely or down spacecraft. Ever keen for glory, adventure and a quick credit our hero sets course to the dusty, barren T1 world, little realising that his search for gain might cost him far more than he can imagine...

Download/Subscribe Here!

About
The adventure is a dark horror themed adventure, light on combat (though what combat exists can be decisively lethal handled poorly) and heavy on dialogue and exposition. Almost nothing is chance, if there seem's to be something amiss; there probably is - thinking is strongly encouraged

Over the course of it's creation I think I deleted and rebuilt almost everything at least once and spentmore time dawdling over the precise wording and format of the ending than I care to think and still have my doubts; as you'll see it was a very difficult ending to approach in a way that worked out (So I'd be intrested to hear your thoughts on it).

Download/Subscribe Here!

Tips
Full Walkthrough (SPOILERS!)
Full Plot Explanation (INCREDIBLE Spoilers, only read after playing the game)

Dialogue and Goals: The adventure makes heavy use of hidden goals and dialogue, and as you might expect from a story mission there is a fair amount of text. Listen to what people have to say and keep in mind your current objective r you may get rather turned about and confused. (If you do get lost, tell me, so I can improve the directions in future versions)

Weak Captains: Characters with inadequate weaponry (ie less than bladed knuckles) should hang onto grenades whenever possible. Likewise there is only one batch of healling kits, captains without an invigorator would do well to avoid combat during the final 2 acts til they reach the airpad storage bunker.

Jetpacks: I didn't have enough complexity to make a bounding box over the exteriors, jetpackers/gliders shouldnote that if they fly "out" of the obviously intended areas or fly up high things will look mighty borked. Consider yourself warned.

Changelog:
V1
  • First Release

• V2
  • Removed gate in the upper floor of the cave that made it impossible for glide-pack users to deliver the detonator during act 5
  • Extensively altered act 4, now contains a full set of directional markers to you can't get lost and uses a physics puzzle instead of a plug-in puzzle. Altered act 3 to reflect this (You now need 1 power coupling which you carry with you from act 3, rather than 2 which dissapear til act 4's puzzle)
  • Fixed the Ai so it doesn't try attacking the scenery
  • Removed the tank battle at the end. Didn't really fit the scheme IMO
  • Moved the waterfall slightly to better indicate where the tunnel is, and added a better collision surface to prevent getting trapped.
  • Removed superfluous goal from from act 8
  • Added additional scenery to act 4 to help direct the player to the caves.
  • Added an additional datapad with more plot exposition.
  • Fixed error where Eija would still speak his lines occasionally when examined in act 8
  • Modified Act 3's dialogue to make slightly more sense... only slightly. Also slightly tweaked act 8's dialogue.[/list]

V3:
  • Scene where you jam the turbines works 100% now
  • Fixed bug where coupling could fall through the turbine and be lost permanently
  • Remade all the hallucinations to better fit the theme and better utilise the new asymmetry feature
  • Added a direction marker to act 7 since several people didn't udnerstand that "finding the others and getting off this rock" meant "run back to the airpad"
  • Fixed bug where the stalker-type hallucinations could be seen in act 8 after it had ended.
  • Gavehallucinations special abilities (Icey band and summon swarm respectively, but reduced their hitpoints, damage and awareness)
  • Added another health pack spawn point outside the airpad bunker during Act 7
  • Act 7 is now considerably more combat orientated with enemies actively pursuing and attackign the player, if you're not well armed make sure you carry grenades at all times
  • Health packs no longer have a custom design, but instead use the high-visibility Spore health packs
  • hallucinations no longer respawn, but there are slightly more of them and are much more dangerous, though easier to kill.
  • Seismic charges now have a larger AoE to make them more practical as a weapon as well as tool.
  • Power coupling can no longer fall through the platform in act 2
  • Fixed typo attached to crate of explosives during finale of act 7

• What are you doing reading this? - Go on and...
    Download/Subscribe Here!

Brought to you by the same guy as Hardware Failure

This message was edited 16 times. Last update was at 07/30/2009 17:08:24

Haffgrim

Multicellular

I walk beside you, but you may not see me, the strongest among you may not wear a crown.

Yes!! It's out! I'm gonna play it now!

Ryuujin

Civilized Sporeon

I just had to make a quick reupload. A tiny tweak i made in final polishing made it possible for an NPC during act 2 to get stuck too easily. Sorry

MarksmanAim

MouthBreather

FINALLY ITS OUT!

EDIT: I installed the couplings, but I don't know what to do now.

^READ THE POSTS PEOPLE^
    Ryuujin

Civilized Sporeon

MarksmanAim wrote:FINALLY ITS OUT!

EDIT: I installed the couplings, but I don't know what to do now.

One of the security gates should have powered down (It did in every single test so I hope it did for you xD) - after that it's a simple matter of using the ladder to get back up onto the gantry and out the door. Follow the dirt path tothe right into the caves and then you've got a rather zelda-ish maze dungeon tothe artifact and the next act.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/19/2009 23:49:18

MarksmanAim

MouthBreather

Nope... their both still active. I installed both chords bellow, and now I'm trapped between the two red doors...

^READ THE POSTS PEOPLE^
    Ryuujin

Civilized Sporeon

Urgh >.<

How the heck has that happened - I tested that scene literally dozens of times and it never failed. It uses a messenger creature to unlock the gate so it's not in theory so reliable, but I never had it fail on me.

Have you been firing missiles at the gates? - Attacking tiny insects?

Ok, I looked and it seems I forgot to set the creature to be immortalso it is hypothetically possible to kill the messenger and break the scene, but the odds of any actually spotting and killing it is tiny xD - if you're in game now can you see a blip for another creature in the area?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/19/2009 23:53:52

MarksmanAim

MouthBreather

I haven't used anything but swarm, and that was on the control terminal earlier! ARRRG!

^READ THE POSTS PEOPLE^
    Ryuujin

Civilized Sporeon

If it's unreliable i might have to re-write that scene. It always bothered me anyway. But there is another messenger triggered event later on too so if they're not reliable =x
    Ryuujin

Civilized Sporeon

Added a walkthrough and a breakdown of the finer details of the plot you';ll almsot certainly have missed but helpe explain why it worked out the way that it did.

Also, stealth bump before bedtime

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/20/2009 02:03:20

Nethellus

MouthBreather

There was one thing I noticed as a bug(?). The strange tentacle monsters was at one point attacking the tentacle building props. And also another thing: The inspect messages that the crazy Iubati has still remains through all acts, which makes it seem strange (for obvious reasons) if you don't read them until the final act.

The story here is excellent. Though there is no point really in figuring it out while you play, since you can not effect the outcome in any way, except for failing. Which you don't want (or do you?).

Ryuujin

Civilized Sporeon

Nethellus wrote:There was one thing I noticed as a bug(?). The strange tentacle monsters was at one point attacking the tentacle building props. And also another thing: The inspect messages that the crazy Iubati has still remains through all acts, which makes it seem strange (for obvious reasons) if you don't read them until the final act.

The story here is excellent. Though there is no point really in figuring it out while you play, since you can not effect the outcome in any way, except for failing. Which you don't want (or do you?).

I'd noticed their misguided attacks as well,I suspectit's because they're in the hostile faction while the props are neutral, plan to try fix that in the next update.

I didn't think you could inspect a dead character? - His "talk to" dialogue isn't meant to change except for the brief period of clarity he appears to gain during act 2/3, but that has a specific reason as outlined in the explanation - but yeah if you can inspect him for the same lines during act 8 - oops >.<

It's funny you mention that, because I did - to an extent, want to make the player question whether he should've delibratly bailed out the quest instead of seen it to conclusion - which is in fact the closest it can come to a "good" ending
    Nethellus

MouthBreather

Another thing I really liked was when the Iubati in the caves said "this is not just some adventure, this is our home and our lives", or something like that. Out of all the things that happened, that was the thing that really made me stop and think about what I was doing. But I pretty much fell for everything anyway, chasing only the holy grail that is the WIN. But one should obviously not assume that completion of an adventure actually is a good thing.

And really, what was Maxis thinking with when they put in that stupid dance? Even in ancient Greece, two kind of theatric plays: Tragedy and comedy. Did Maxis really think that no one would ever write a tragedy?

There's even an achievement for creating X number of adventures, and the achievement is named after Shakespeare. Did he only write comedies? No.

Ryuujin

Civilized Sporeon

Thanks for all the feedback guys and picking out those 3 potential game-breaker bugs. I plan to have a new version up tonight.

Expect to see:

• Higher ceiling/weaker jump pads in the CPU tower to avoid people hitting the ceiling and getting stuck
  • Waterfall scene tinkered to avoid bugs and clearer where to go
  • Door locked during act 3 to avoid people running outside and missing the point
  • Excavator scene with the couplings is to be replaced with a physics puzzle that can't bug out
  • More concise description of act 4

CopperWolf

Spacefaring Sporeling

I didn't even know I could go under the waterfall. And I never ended up needing to...
    I went through every single part of the caves but couldn't find what I needed to do. I found the crystal thing in the bottom/middle/end/whatever of the caves, but there were no actions I could preform on it.

Signature by Didzo.
    [WWW]

Forum Index » Adventure Corner
    Go to: