The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

Kiwi_tea's Adventure Reviews (not by request)  XML
Forum Index » Adventure Corner
kiwi_tea

Multicellular

Hi guys, I'm reviewing adventures in this thread. Please don't post asking me to review your adventures. I'm only going to bother reviewing adventures that have time and effort invested in them.

Reviews So Far:

+PaleoQuest - Cambrian Explosion by Hydromancerx
+PaleoQuest - Late Devonian by Hydromancerx
+The Silent Beacon by Rythmear
+The Unborn by demonic790
+Snoopy vs Red Baron by RogerYoung3
+AS - Battle on the Bridge by Miles-McStyles

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 07/05/2009 10:18:14

[WWW]
kiwi_tea

Multicellular

PaleoQuest - Cambrian Explosion

By Hydromancerx
= 5

So far, in the early days of GA Creating, there is a lot to be said for simple adventures. Hydromancerx's adventures are simply constructed, but beautiful and sometimes challenging. This creator's scope is minimalistic, and where there are details they are perfectly selected for inclusion. The aethestic constraints sit perfectly with a sparse, prehistoric adventure, and that's exactly what this is. Each adventure in the PaleoQuest series (there should be a sporecast somewhere) takes place in a period of biological history - obviously this one takes place during the Cambrian Explosion, a period that ushered in many complex organisms not seen before. You play as a haikouichthys.

Don't be fooled by your appearance and the marine environment, you're not a fish. You're a simple creature that almost predates fish, an early vertebrate and possibly not even an 'ancestoral' fish. As you can see, Hydromancerx has used a whip to prop the haikouichthys up higher upon the terrain. This whip isn't accurate given what's preserved in the fossil record, but it's a nice convention for fish creatures, it looks good, and it's a great work-around considering the constraints of the adventure creator. Simple and effective is really the mantra of this series, especially in adventures dated earlier in the prehistorical scheme.

If you see shades of Wii's Endless Ocean in the screenshots, you wouldn't be far off. For what Spore: Galactic Adventures gives us, this sets a beautiful benchmark for underwater worlds. It's just unfortunate that the 'pond effect', used is such a startlingly perfect way here, adds to the adventure complexity meter. When playing, you should take your time. This isn't an adventure you play to grind up your captains, although you can compete for the leaderboard on this one if you really like. However, you'll get more out of this by relaxing, enjoying the scenery and the perfectly selected creatures, sounds, and environment.

Play it now!

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 07/05/2009 10:24:23

[WWW]
kiwi_tea

Multicellular

PaleoQuest - Late Devonian

By Hydromancerx
= 5

I skipped a few adventures in the series because there is just so much to say about all of them. Also: Tetrapods! Yay! In this case, you're a hynerpeton turfed out by the alpha of your ground, and left searching for new beginnings in a new pond with a new mate. Pay special attention to sound. The aural textures of this adventure are both perfectly selected, and important to your challenge. A lot of players don't seem to have picked up on that fact, so this quite simple adventure is giving out loads of sporepoints at the moment. Once again, Hydromancerx has chosen his details carefully, ensuring he doesn't go overboard. You will meet some pesky arthropods, and some pesky fish. You're guaranteed to spend at least some time wandering aimlessly. Enjoy it. Relax. Listen and look.

The landscape could survive some more variety, you do have an entire planet to wander about on. This adventure is definitely not as pretty as Cambrian Explosion, but giving the player any distinctive visual landmarks would decrease the wonderful challenge. Even so, the colourings are wonderful, even the oddly lurid coloration of the principal character is great. It contrasts starkly with the muddy-green environment. You'll love to jump while you play this. When I got bored searching, I just went mad with the jump feature, skipping from pond to pond. You do risk getting bored. It wasn't until I stumbled across my starting point again that I realised what I should be looking for.

A genius adventure. Challenging, beautiful texture sights and sounds, and very satistfying to complete.

Play it now!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 07/05/2009 10:25:11

[WWW]
kiwi_tea

Multicellular

The Silent Beacon

By Rythmear
= 4.5

The best adventure creators that I've seen use simple effects to make a compelling atmosphere. When I first saw the limited range of audio options, I was bothered by the constraint of them. Creators like Rythmear prove my botheration totally unwarranted. The Silent Beacon has a simple set and simple soundtrack, but they're combined to make a great atmospheric tale. This was the first still life adventure I've played. The narrative is great, but the love story comes across as forced, slightly false. It leans very slightly (only very slightly, this is not intended as an insult) in the direction of a teenager's angsty love poem. It is a minor point, because the rest of the dialogue is perfect. It pushes your captain through a very bittersweet little story.

I'd like to see more still life adventures now. This was very nice. Effects like rain and lighting really come to the fore here. There is definitely a place for adventures like this, and they could potentially involve a lot of great detective work. Rythmear has established an early classic of this adventure genre. Simple, to the point, fun, and atmospheric.

Play it now!

[WWW]
demonic790

Civilized Sporeon

kiwi_tea wrote:Hi guys, I'm reviewing adventures in this thread. Please don't post asking me to review your adventures unless you're quite, quite certain that I'll want to. I'm only going to bother reviewing adventures that have time and effort invested in them. I'm reviewing a series for starters: Hydromancerx's PaleoQuest series.

In that case would you mind reviewing this?:

Link:
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-demonic790%7C500220385316%3Asast-500384781603
I have put alot of time and effort into that mission and would love to hear your feedback on it.

[WWW] [MSN]
kiwi_tea

Multicellular

The Unborn

By demonic790
= 2.5

I should start by saying the character design in this is brilliant. These are very dark, interesting creatures, and demonic790 uses asymmetry sparingly and very well. The adventure does action very well, and has brilliantly explosive moments. Unfortunately, it has some serious bugs. The first time I played it, I ended up stuck inside the wall of a very confined tunnel for a long time. I actually thought I wouldn't get out. Then it happened again later in the level, so I quit. I decided to give it a second try, but the airship that I was supposed to talk to plowed right into me, killing me instantly at 47secs into the game. So there are some reasonably serious bugs here.

These bugs, and lack of a clear plot, really hold this level back. I have no idea why I'm fighting, nor why I'm fleeing. I really don't know why 'the unborn' are 'unborn' or what that even means. The adventure looks wonderful, and it could easily play wonderfully with some very minor work. But as a story it's seriously lacking. The dialogue is also peppered with grammatical errors. At the end it informs the player that: 'Your home early.'

It's really important to note just how much work has gone into making this adventure. It's clearly a labour of love, and there are so many things demonic790 has done well. The different zones, reached by teleporters, look and work great (except the aforementioned crowded tunnel). The houses (see the screenshot) near the end are very well-made. The platform where you meet 'the unborn' is perfectly constructed. Demonic790 clearly wants to make a great action adventure. He's got the 'what' down perfectly. He just needs to now work on the 'how' and 'why'.

This adventure is worth trying out. Give it a play through, if only to check out the great design work!

Play it now!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2009 09:47:54

[WWW]
kiwi_tea

Multicellular

Snoppy vs Red Baron

By RogerYoung3
= 4.5

Now this is just adorable. It's very short but incredibly sweet. Just look at those screenshots. The characters are very convincing as Snoopy and Woodstock. There's not a lot to say for this one, because it's so derivative and simple. The only criticism I can muster is that there are some grammar issues. They don't matter much at all, though, not in such a well-thought-out little adventure. Download it, and play it. Hopefully you'll love it.

Play it now!

[WWW]
Rythmear

MouthBreather

I greatly appreciate the review

It's perfectly fair in my opinion - and you're right, the romance story is a little forced - though that's purely for the simple reason that 'The Silent Beacon' was my second adventure, and I wasn't fully aware of the mechanics I am now...

And if you're keen to see more Silent Adventures - I'm currently editing the grammar in the 'Apocalypse When' series - they're a really atmospheric group of Still-Life Stories whose main fall is the spelling errors... I really think they're excellent - they just need a bit of tweaking.

Fact is, if your story has no creatures in it - then the narration HAS to be top knotch.

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Rythmear
http://www.rythmear.deviantart.com/

omgimonfire

Civilized Sporeon

Try mine,I believe you'll like it:
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=sast-500385791918

Awesome sigs by Delta317.RLS banner by me.
Arkanay

Civilized Sporeon

If you wanna check mine, link in signature.

Note: They are my first 2 adventures so You can read about each adventure on that link. The first one is quite simple, more to be a test so You can Skip it! While the second one, is pretty decent

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2009 13:01:47

Rythmear

MouthBreather

Ya'll do realize that this generous fellow specifically said 'Don't ask me to review unless you're sure he'll like them'.

Having checked out his Adventures for myself, I can say honestly that they are of a particularly high quality... So make sure before you make a suggestion that your adventures really Are as good as you think they are...

You're all authors remember: You can't see your work the same way as everyone else because you know your own motivations.

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Rythmear
http://www.rythmear.deviantart.com/

Hydromancerx

Microbe

Thanks for the reviews! I will be posting more PaleoQuest episodes soon! My PaleoQuest Sporecast is here.
>>>>>PaleoQuest Sporecast<<<<<

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 07/03/2009 20:07:37

[WWW]
itsglenn

Civilized Sporeon

VOID

version 2 is better, review that one please

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/04/2009 15:27:57

itsglenn

Civilized Sporeon

Ok here is my adventure

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=sast-500387421595

this is an epic GA mission that I made, in fact it actually FILLED up the complexity meter :0
so basically you go into an enemy base and destroy two main power generators. but on the way you jump across platforms...beat bosses and encounter countless enemies. its set in an arctic climate planet. looks really good here are a few pictures of the adventure I made. THIS IS VERSION 2, IT IS AN IMPROVED VERSION OF THE FIRST FROST MISSION
and here is the captain

I hope you guys enjoy it, it took me a VERY long time. please rate it up

Miles-McStyles

Microbe

Well, RaptorZefier gave mine a Great(one below Epic), Purpleskull gave it a 9/10. IMO it deserves those scores.

Give it a shot if you want.

AS - Battle on the Bridge

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=sast-500381425177

Please check out
AS - Battle on the Bridge

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=sast-500381425177

Now worth 63 points!
aim icon [MSN]

Forum Index » Adventure Corner
Go to: