The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
We Found Who to Tar and Feather!  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
ZsoSahaal

Multicellular

BlueLiquidPlus wrote:Like I said...

Incoming Transmission from the Locked Thread Empire

There's no point in locking the thread. Another one will pop up.

The story so far:
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people mad and been widely regarded as a bad idea.

[WWW]
ZsoSahaal

Multicellular

Jackuul wrote:Don't forget, there was another person who co-founded the cute team.

If you're going for blood - don't let him take the sole blame. It took two to tango, and the article mentions the other one.

Yeah, Chris Trottier. Everything is focused on Hecker though because he claims the lead of the cute team in the other articles.

The story so far:
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people mad and been widely regarded as a bad idea.

[WWW]
Jackuul

Civilized Sporeon

We don't die, we multiply.

My Sporefile
I own 6 tarantulas. I <3 Spiders
[WWW]
midian1369

Multicellular

Forget tar and feather.....drop him into a swimming pool filled with rubbing alcohol and double edged razor blades.

+100 to whomever identifies the origin of this saying.

aim icon [ICQ]
Finnical

Multicellular

Jackuul wrote:Don't forget, there was another person who co-founded the cute team.

If you're going for blood - don't let him take the sole blame. It took two to tango, and the article mentions the other one.
Chris Hecker has no excuse because this is not his first offense in recent times. (Go look at sales numbers for the Wii, Hecker)

But I don't so much want to see blood as rectification. What happens to Hecker doesn't matter to me, I just want to see Spore back on its feet, and Will Wright's name clear.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/14/2008 03:39:27

"I like that that happened. I'm gonna do that again." -Space Ghost
Jackuul

Civilized Sporeon

midian1369 wrote:Forget tar and feather.....drop him into a swimming pool filled with rubbing alcohol and double edged razor blades.

+100 to whomever identifies the origin of this saying.

The likelihood of that causing pain is about equal or less than tarring and feathering, because with the impact into the razors nerves would likely be cut, and it could be a fatal thing to do, as exsanguination is likely within the first ten to twenty minutes.

My Sporefile
[WWW]
igbee

Microbe

Finnical wrote:

Chris Hecker has no excuse because this is not his first offense in recent times. (Go look at sales numbers for the Wii, Hecker)

But I don't so much want to see blood as rectification. What happens to Hecker doesn't matter to me, I just want to see Spore back on its feet, and Will Wright's name clear.

It's to late for that. I don't think we will ever see the spore that was marketed for years. Bottom line we can all poke fun at Chris for being off his meds but Will made the decisions in the end that gave us what we currently have.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/14/2008 03:42:57

MoaBurns

Microbe

from Chris Hecker's website here

(the attached article actually uses this pic as an example of a "wrong mindset". eh just perused but many of his pieces seem well thought out seemed to favor a different approach in some earlier articles so maybe changed his attitude sometime in the process who knows either way for all the criticism (much rightly deserved) I think Spore made a groundbreaking game based on the editors alone. Sure, there are many more powerful and versatile 3d editing programs out there, but none so accessible to so many.

http://chrishecker.com/Power_Fantasy

http://chrishecker.com/Going_Against_The_Grain

Finnical

Multicellular

igbee wrote:It's to late for that. I don't think we will ever see the spore that was marketed for years. Bottom line we can all poke fun at Chris for being off his meds but Will made the decisions in the end the gave us what we currently have.
I think it more than falls under the "people make mistakes" explanation, with everything else he's done right and all the pressure he was under. I mean for Will, not for Hecker.

I'm betting on expansion packs, and I'm betting on them righting what is wrong. A while from now, they'll release a box of Spore with the first few expansion packs, and that'll be what it was meant to be in the first place. It's not how it should have been, it should have been done already, but what's done is done. EA can't just release them as free patches, they'd go out of business. Hecker has probably cost them a very sizable fraction of their production costs for all that time that was lost.

MoaBurns wrote:(the attached article actually uses this pic as an example of a "wrong mindset". eh just perused but many of his pieces seem well thought out seemed to favor a different approach in some earlier articles so maybe changed his attitude sometime in the process who knows either way for all the criticism (much rightly deserved) I think Spore made a groundbreaking game based on the editors alone. Sure, there are many more powerful and versatile 3d editing programs out there, but none so accessible to so many.

As Biden said, you don't question people's motivation, you question their judgment. I'm sure Chris Hecker is a reasonable person... sometimes. But the Wii comment is an example of judgment issues.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/14/2008 03:51:26

Jackuul

Civilized Sporeon

And one of those expansion packs will be from Ikea.

The other will be from Ford.

Then ChefMate.

My Sporefile
[WWW]
igbee

Microbe

Finnical wrote:
igbee wrote:It's to late for that. I don't think we will ever see the spore that was marketed for years. Bottom line we can all poke fun at Chris for being off his meds but Will made the decisions in the end the gave us what we currently have.
I think it more than falls under the "people make mistakes" explanation, with everything else he's done right and all the pressure he was under. I mean for Will, not for Hecker.

I'm betting on expansion packs, and I'm betting on them righting what is wrong. A while from now, they'll release a box of Spore with the first few expansion packs, and that'll be what it was meant to be in the first place. It's not how it should have been, it should have been done already, but what's done is done. EA can't just release them as free patches, they'd go out of business. Hecker has probably cost them a very sizable fraction of their production costs for all that time that was lost.

That's all well and good but how much is this going to cost?? The most important question is when do they ditch Chris? I am betting they wont and in the end cute(mindless) will continue to win.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/14/2008 03:52:50

Jackuul

Civilized Sporeon

450 dollars.

My Sporefile
[WWW]
mflux

Microbe

I have misgivings about jumping this discussion, since the post I made caused quite a bit of misunderstanding, mis-quoting, and general confusion. Not even sure why I was quoted here... using me to prove some point!

I know the OP was not made here on Sporum, but rather on XSpore. However this general bashing of Chris has to stop. Despite the post being thoughtfully written, it mainly quotes the Seed article and that's really the only instance of Chris stating his opinion, which may or may not have changed over the intervening years. Also, whether or not he liked the Wii is completely irrelevant.

Chris himself doesn't need any defending, but since he has no voice here (Maxis or EA will not allow any of their employees to post in most general cases) you are not inciting a dialogue, but simply causing a riot. And since he's not here to defend himself, I feel free to state that Chris I've met is very professional, obsessed about video games (and as much of a Spore "fan" as you or I), a brilliant programmer, and much a harder working than you or I.

In fact, the first time I googled for "rigid body dynamics" to learn about physics in game programming, his name came up number one on the list. That's how big of an influence he has.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=91a&q=rigid+body+dynamics&btnG=Search

My point is, you simply cannot come to any sort of conclusion based on some measly snippets and quotes. Your perspective of the situation completely changes once you take into account the fact that the design team is a highly complex entity, and not one person could have force the game along a particular path. Throwing blame down on one person is entirely unfair.

Sporum, I think you're better than this. This community should be better than a lynch mob. I think the Spore community should support constructive criticism, not be assigning blame, and least of all, to single Maxis employees. It's ugly, and it shows no restraint. It's much better to allow the developers be on your side, rather than against you.

I'll simply leave this post with this XKCD strip that sums up TLDR

"It's easier to be an a**hole to words than it is to people."

[WWW] aim icon
Finnical

Multicellular

igbee wrote:That's all well and good but how much is this going to cost?? The most important question is when do they ditch Chris? I am betting they wont and in the end cute(mindless) will continue to win.
I'd bet soon. As soon as they look at their production costs, spent time, and Amazon reviews.

Orihalco

Microbe

i just hope someone on the old dev team has the files/prototypes saved on their computer or something. after hearing this bit of information (about Hecker) i can see how it all fits into place.
back in 2005, they said it would be released in a year or so. then this Hecker character goes and tries to "make the game more sellable." this drastically sets the team back and forces them to shed years of work to make things "pretty."

GAH! This Hecker guy should ** **** for his crimes against the consumer.

MaxisCactus edit: Removed threatening suggestion. Please keep a respectful tone when voicing your opinions here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/14/2008 19:11:30

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: