The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
So wait, not only do we have to ask permission to reinstall the game....  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Author Message
ladybreid


Microbe

Joined: 09/12/2008 16:06:27
Messages: 72
Offline

Wow.....
Sad sad day. It's one thing to want to censor the boards (which I do not agree with provided the topic is in fact the game) BUT to threaten you with loosing the copy of spore that you have paid for? GTFO! That is really an eye opener. Thank you for posting it. That is ... wow

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/23/2008 18:31:06

Jiman


Multicellular

Joined: 09/11/2008 18:32:21
Messages: 216
Offline

*swears*

EA will burn for this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/23/2008 18:36:56

Hawkian


MouthBreather

Joined: 09/09/2008 06:43:12
Messages: 957
Offline

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I'm sooo not reading through all of this...

After activating your copy of the game with a valid CD-Key (or with an invalid one, but that's not a topic for this forum at all), you CANNOT BE BANNED from using the Spore software. Your Spore account could be banned, which would prevent you from logging into the server in the game. This would stop online content delivery and use of the in-game and onsite Sporepedia, and forfeit the right to upload any creations. However, you could still play the game. The EA representative in question likely knew this and meant "you will need to buy another copy [to be able to access the community again]."

If anyone has any questions or doubts on this matter, please feel free to PM me.

EDIT: By the way, this is not a defense of EA. I hate DRM and want it to die. And burn and die more. Just wanted to clear some things up, as there were claims of "my $50 game etc etc!"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/23/2008 18:37:57


aim icon
ladybreid


Microbe

Joined: 09/12/2008 16:06:27
Messages: 72
Offline

To everyone that is getting on this guy about so called trolling, you can see under his name he has only posted 5 messages so get off his #%% about it already. Even if all 5 of his posts were "negative" it is still not enough to warrent such a harsh reaction from EA.
ladybreid


Microbe

Joined: 09/12/2008 16:06:27
Messages: 72
Offline

cysgodi wrote:It's pretty much like a store or restaurant. They have a right to deny you service. And it is spelled out in their EULA. Sure you can still play their game offline. But if you want the full effect you have to log onto the servers they are supplying the universe with. That gives them a right to deny you access.

O and I still find it quite funny that if people don't like what you say they give you one star....like that invalidates the post......NOT.

You all are too funy...


Yes they can deny you service but then you don't get charged for your food or they don't pump your stomach for what you've already eaten and paid for.
You think this is acceptable now but what happens when it becomes you loosing your game because you state an unfavorable comment? If they are going to enforce this sort of censorship then you won't even be able to trust the "all for it" comments becuase you'll always wonder what people REALLY thought.

If this is their policy then I am done with them.
Xamataca


Microbe

Joined: 09/16/2008 12:19:34
Messages: 18
Location:
Ourensepolis - Galiza

Offline

Cysgodi wrote:It's pretty much like a store or restaurant. They have a right to deny you service. And it is spelled out in their EULA. Sure you can still play their game offline. But if you want the full effect you have to log onto the servers they are supplying the universe with. That gives them a right to deny you access.

O and I still find it quite funny that if people don't like what you say they give you one star....like that invalidates the post......NOT.

You all are too funy...


I think it's not quite a good analogy.

First: you don't pay for the meal and get a copy of a contract stating a behaviour policy before sitting at the table.
Second: access restrictions ("refuse admission rights reserved" or whatever is called in USA) got to be very well backed up with right, legal arguments because arbitrary bans could be well censored by a court. Yes, even in a "private business" there are civil rights no one can surpass.
Third: And, you know, there are clauses/terms/conditions that are intrinsically abusive for the consumer.

Banning a legitimated user that payed 50$ for the use of game features (like spore servers) because he wrote in the forum about something that is not stated or directly against any clause in the EULA is arbitrary and should be penalized by law

Disclaimer: I'm not a legal eagle and my english could be pretty clumsy

Xamataca
VINTAGE CREATIONS - SPORECAST
Cysgodi


Multicellular

Joined: 09/09/2008 17:31:54
Messages: 445
Offline

ladybreid wrote:
cysgodi wrote:It's pretty much like a store or restaurant. They have a right to deny you service. And it is spelled out in their EULA. Sure you can still play their game offline. But if you want the full effect you have to log onto the servers they are supplying the universe with. That gives them a right to deny you access.

O and I still find it quite funny that if people don't like what you say they give you one star....like that invalidates the post......NOT.

You all are too funy...


Yes they can deny you service but then you don't get charged for your food or they don't pump your stomach for what you've already eaten and paid for.
You think this is acceptable now but what happens when it becomes you loosing your game because you state an unfavorable comment? If they are going to enforce this sort of censorship then you won't even be able to trust the "all for it" comments becuase you'll always wonder what people REALLY thought.

If this is their policy then I am done with them.


Sigh...never once did I say I agreed, I was just trying to give a situation that was similar. I believe I also said I did not think that being threatened was a very nice thing to do (if you had read one of my earlier comments you would see that) Try not to jump to conclusions, especially about something written on a game forum, please.


SporeMasterLadym


Spore Master

Joined: 09/09/2008 04:04:18
Messages: 697
Location:
NC

Offline

You are not going to lose your game for posting a comment.

Again, there is no point in grabbing the torches and assuming the worst. As I said before, you are allowed to discuss things as long as it's done in a civil manner.

Believe it or not, EA does listen to your concerns and they are working to make things run smoother.

~LadyM~
SporeMaster Sporecast<-- click here to subscribe
"Keep signatures limited to 500 characters max, and limit signature images to 680 wide x 128 high. "
Forum Rules and Guidelines <-- Please read and follow.
[WWW]
JPFrostfox


Multicellular

Joined: 09/12/2008 02:17:58
Messages: 346
Offline

Given the post quoted is one I made ( http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/3869.page )

I feel obligated to speak up a bit and try to get people to self moderate a bit.

Now, my whole reason for that post was because at that time there were posts... and I mean good posts full of very intelligent discussion, critique and complaints that were being thrown out left and right without any reason given, any notice, or any guidelines or statements being made that the subject was taboo. Many of them just disappeared, and every single one of the others was locked - any further posts were threatened (as seen) leading to confusion over whether the topic was outright barred or what. The digital restriction management was just the most widely discussed and visible of those topics.

Granted some of them were probably thrown out because of users who could not control themselves, however the job of moderating is to deal with those people and let the rest of us interested in mature and in depth conversation continue on. When you summarily and silently black bag threads, well... we all know the comparisons or conclusions that can be made.

I was not nor am I out to crusade against EA or Maxis. Do I have problems with some of their business decisions and policies, sure. However, I merely wanted to be treated like more than an inconvenience or a fly on the wall to be squashed just because I made some noise.

Criticism =/= trolling, and some people need to realize and accept this. You might not like hearing a bunch of negative feedback ... and obviously there is a TON of it... but it IS important for the companies to hear and acknowledge it when so much of the consumer population has an issue.

So please do conduct yourself in a mature and civil fashion, and put away the molotov cocktails and pitchforks - we don't need senseless and undirected rage but discussion and sensible feedback (even if it is negative).

Thanks.
Jiman


Multicellular

Joined: 09/11/2008 18:32:21
Messages: 216
Offline

sporemasterladym wrote:You are not going to lose your game for posting a comment.

Again, there is no point in grabbing the torches and assuming the worst. As I said before, you are allowed to discuss things as long as it's done in a civil manner.

Believe it or not, EA does listen to your concerns and they are working to make things run smoother.


This was done in a Civil manner, yet he was threaten on loosing his GAME and to be forced to buy another copy.

I and many others here have got some serious questions about the forums, the lack of professionalism, and the need for information that is not being communicated to the users.

Are we not allowed to discuss SecuROM or DRM at all in the forums anymore?

What is the situation with the silent locking and deletion of topics going on? Shouldn't there be a standard?

Is there somewhere in particular this topic should be discussed?

Can we get moderating team leads that communicate with their users?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/23/2008 19:06:14

SporeMasterLadym


Spore Master

Joined: 09/09/2008 04:04:18
Messages: 697
Location:
NC

Offline

Well, go play tribal stage and pillage and burn another tribe.

Edit to add: EA really does listen to the feedback, negative and positive and they really do want to make things right. We are not sure who made those comments in that thread and it's being investigated. You will not lose your game.

-Topics that are locked should now contain an explanation for the lock.

-You are allowed to discuss the DRM and any concerns as long as it's done without making it personal to anyone.

-As far as moderator communication, that's what I'm trying to do.

Feel free to pm me with concerns and I'll try to help. Just keep the pms civil, I won't respond to anything rude but I will help those who really want it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/23/2008 19:14:15


~LadyM~
SporeMaster Sporecast<-- click here to subscribe
"Keep signatures limited to 500 characters max, and limit signature images to 680 wide x 128 high. "
Forum Rules and Guidelines <-- Please read and follow.
[WWW]
StarkFist


Microbe

Joined: 09/12/2008 19:11:47
Messages: 46
Offline

jpfrostfox wrote:So please do conduct yourself in a mature and civil fashion, and put away the molotov cocktails and pitchforks - we don't need senseless and undirected rage but discussion and sensible feedback (even if it is negative).

Thanks.


QFT.


Boycotting all EA products until they fix the three-install limit on Spore.
ZJBDragon


Multicellular

Joined: 09/10/2008 15:44:12
Messages: 230
Location:
Westminster, MD

Offline

jalf wrote:I'd just love to see how that holds up in court.

From http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/3869.page
SecuROM as been discussed and discussed so much and it causes arguments in threads. If you want to talk about DRM SecuROM then please use another fansite forum. If there is any change you will be able to read it on the official Spore site.

Please do not continue to post theses thread or you account may be at risk of banning which in some cases would mean you would need to buy a new copy to play Spore.


Right, Spore is officially the last EA game I buy.

Yes, that particular quote absolutely crosses the line. When you complain about a Ford SUV, Ford doesn't disable that SUV so you can't drive it anymore. When you complain about taxes, the government doesn't lock you up for complaining. If you complain about a ride at an amusement park, they work with you to find a solution instead of kicking you out and ignoring you (imagine the media circus if that happened). EA policy of potentially banning people from their products for their opinions crosses into new territory. While it is true that a forum like this is not a public institution and therefore not subject to freedoms of speech enabling people to spout off at will, there are consumer protection and discrimination laws specifically to prevent the scenario of someone losing access to what they bought because of diverse opinions and lack of disclosure. Someone needs to think this through. Complaints of discrimination could be company-destroying once they hit the national limelight. We all know how much the media hates games.

What's worse is that the ban apparently affects your EA Account. Therefore, it may be possible that the ability to play other games may be revoked as well. Obviously it wouldn't apply to GameSpy accounts, but it would apply to other games using the EA Account. I would like to see someone from EA comment on this concern because it could potentially mean one foul up results in hundreds of dollars of losses. It reads to me like blackmail. This has to be just some sort of typo or misunderstanding because I can't fathom EA taking things to this extreme. If you banned a brother over a matter of opinion, we'd all be up in arms so this has to be some sort of miscommunication or mistake and I hope EA sets the record straight..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/23/2008 19:12:48


[Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
DarwinsProof


Microbe

Joined: 09/11/2008 23:28:33
Messages: 76
Offline

I'm going to say, there is a very fine line here, and this mod potentially crossed it. It's one thing to ban a user for inappropriate language, or racism. But to be told not to discuss DRM when we are forced to install it with Spore, and then be told you can potentially lose a function of your game that you paid for if you continue to discuss it.... well.... it's absolutely absurd. A more appropriate response would be to ban users or lock threads that get out of control. But ban us for software discussion when many of us adults are capable of keeping it civilized? I sure hope someone in charge at EA or Maxis takes a look into this.
SporeMasterLadym


Spore Master

Joined: 09/09/2008 04:04:18
Messages: 697
Location:
NC

Offline

They are looking into this. You are allowed to discuss DRM and you will not lose your game.

~LadyM~
SporeMaster Sporecast<-- click here to subscribe
"Keep signatures limited to 500 characters max, and limit signature images to 680 wide x 128 high. "
Forum Rules and Guidelines <-- Please read and follow.
[WWW]
 
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to:   
 
Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © ( EA Dev Build 2013-06-21 16:12:06 ) JForum Team