The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

FAQ/Master GA Editor Help Thread and Advanced AI Guide  XML
Forum Index » Spore Galactic Adventures
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

New Link:
Time passage - Locked/Unlocked time of day

[WWW]
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

New Link: Using vehicles without changing acts.
Changing music speed and pitch in the Adventure editor

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/26/2010 17:25:58

[WWW]
pelicanthor

Spacefaring Sporeling

No offence, but why does every one come to you about creatures advanced behaviors?

[WWW]
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

pelicanthor wrote:No offence, but why does every one come to you about creatures advanced behaviors?

People come to me because I'm good at figuring it out. I enjoy the puzzle of trying to figure out how GA works and how it doesn't work.

One of the real challenges is that I don't have access to the code, so I have to come up with a hypothesis and then devise ways to testing it. For example, when GA first game out people had problems with AI falling apart in buildings and near buildings. They were acting they they couldn't see the player. So I tried to figure out how to test visibility. So what I did was create a simple AI:
Shoot player if aware of player
idle dance always

And then place these NPCs all over the place and then walk about and see which players danced and which did not.
Because I can come up with these simple test cases, I can often figure out the parameters for a given problem.

Then I write them up (if necessary) and then add them to the list of links.

[WWW]
pelicanthor

Spacefaring Sporeling

Ok, I used that method of solving how the creatures and buildings were acting I was going to post it but saw that you beat me to it...

I do wish a few more players would come to me with advanced creature behavior issues though...

[WWW]
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

I always encourage people to make public threads (I don't do a lot of private mail stuff) and encourage anyone to try to answer problems as they come up.

If you want people to give you problems to solve, why not create an "advanced AI guild" (modeled on the outfitter guild) where people come and post problems/challenges and guild members solve them.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to do things conditional on socializing an NPC without using a goal. I thought I might make progress with some sort of "if aware of green team" logic hoping that a messenger could detect when a neutral NPC joins the green team when it is socialized. But that logic fails -- messengers don't detect the team change.

[WWW]
pelicanthor

Spacefaring Sporeling

DVDMaster wrote:I always encourage people to make public threads (I don't do a lot of private mail stuff) and encourage anyone to try to answer problems as they come up.

If you want people to give you problems to solve, why not create an "advanced AI guild" (modeled on the outfitter guild) where people come and post problems/challenges and guild members solve them.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to do things conditional on socializing an NPC without using a goal. I thought I might make progress with some sort of "if aware of green team" logic hoping that a messenger could detect when a neutral NPC joins the green team when it is socialized. But that logic fails -- messengers don't detect the team change.

Could you try and dumb that up for me? I'm sure I can find a way if you do.

[WWW]
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

Sure, I get the occasional request to implement a trade system based on socializing an NPC.
What they was is something that results in:
Give OBJECT to PLAYER if SOCIALIZED
But there isn't a "if socialized" conditional.

You can do this with goals -- make socialize a goal in act I, then program the NPC to give on act II. The challenge is to do this without using goals or acts. Suppose you want to do this as an optional side quest so that social captains can get access to high powered grenades (or to get a token that a high powered NPC will follow so that the high powered NPC will fight the battle).

[WWW]
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

New Links:
DVDMaster's Guide to Advanced AI
Using Timer XX

[WWW]
KappaMan

Microbe

How do get epics really HUGE? It;s a glitch I don't know(it happened randomly one time). I already know about the shift+scroll, but I need help figuring out this glitch.
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

New Link:
Viticide's Shopkeeper method

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/18/2010 18:23:25

[WWW]
bunny_in_the_sky

Microbe

Looking at all the people from atop my cloud

If you like new AI techniques, check out my team's new adventure >Live or Die< It contains never before used or seen AI! Have fun figuring out the puzzles of AI used.

P.S play the newest one first, then play the second one if you want
P.P.S Ignore that the "previous author" is stated as dinothorizer, it was accidently published under the wrong account.

Leonidas1111

Microbe

This is me!!!!!!
Like my new face lift?

[WWW]
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

New link:
How to get your 'large' adventure PNG

[WWW]
Superturnip

Microbe

May I contribute a post regarding first person shooters, and the mechanics to make one? I have posted an article on the subject. It's not the best, but I hope it can be helpful. Thanks!

Forum Index » Spore Galactic Adventures
Go to: