The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Answering your feedback about Spore Online Accounts  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Doofusian

Microbe

all Screen Names will be playing in the same Galaxy

I really wish you guys would reconsider this. I don't understand why they can't be in a different galaxy entirely, it makes a lot more sense and would solve a lot of problems with saved games and achievements. For instance, if I go and blow up Earth on one save I'm not going to be able to get the same achievement in another game. You're destroying the replayability of the game by doing it this way.

Unicorn

Microbe

this is amazing. you are amazing. thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

you guys really know how to listen to the community and help appease us very quickly. this is greatly appreciated and commended.

keep up the fabulous customer service and work. spore is amazing and it's very apparent you all are proud of it as well and are here to improve and already great product. i have great faith in all of you.

Torbin

Multicellular

MaxisLucy wrote:Hi Spore Players,

First, we want to thank you for your responses and feedback to my posting from Friday regarding Online Accounts and clarifying how things work. We’re listening and we want to announce some changes that we are making based on your feedback.

We are going to add the ability to have multiple Spore Screen Names for any one Spore Online Account. Here’s how this will work: for each copy of Spore that you have purchased, you will be able to have one Spore Online Account, just as it is now. However, we will be adding the ability to have five Spore Screen Names for that account. When you launch Spore, you will be able to log in with any of those Screen Names.

The content that is made and the MySpore Page will be associated with the logged in Screen Name for that account. Each Screen Name will be able to view and create content, Buddy Lists and Sporecasts that will be tied to that Screen Name. The Achievements earned will be credited to the Screen Name that is logged in at the time the Achievement is triggered. In the first iteration of this change, all Screen Names will be playing in the same Galaxy and any content downloaded by any Screen Name will be available in the Everything section.

We will be putting the ability to add Screen Names to a Spore Online Account on our website. If you already have the game, and want to add new Screen Names to your account you will be able to do so there.

We felt that this was a good step in the right direction to begin to respond to the feedback you have given us and evolve Spore (not with an extra set of arms in this case but definitely using our DNA points for the better good). We are aggressively working on this now; we will get back to you with more information on timing as soon as possible.

Lucy

Best news all week. This makes my wife and I very happy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/18/2008 03:35:23

TormakSaber

MouthBreather

Though this doesn't affect me, it does a lot of people. It's good to see Maxis (and EA.) working to fix some of the glaring issues with the game.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/TormakSaber

Feel free to PM me with questions.
MadJack

Multicellular

A good move indeed. Let's see if EA/Maxis will continue on that path or stray...

Chris Hecker and Alex Hutchinson, neither of you have any idea what hardcore gamers want. Certainly not this piece of crap that is Sboring. So, just stfu about Spore being attractive to power/hardcore gamers.
[WWW]
Yesrah

Multicellular

Thank you Maxislucky, and everyone else at Maxis too. I'm glad that everything we have done has not fallen on deaf ears. I'm very happy that this is going in the correct direction.

Anyway, I do have a question: While you say that different Spore screen names will have to play under the same galaxy, what if you have different Windows screen names? Since there are seperate galaxies for each Windows screen name, does that mean that, hypothetically, each Spore screen name can have it's own galaxy, as long as a Spore screen name was logged on a different Windows screen name?

Thanks again Maxisluck. You have given me hope in the game industry again.

After an epic uprising:
http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/103.page

Maxis responds:
http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/2897.page

But this still has yet to be fixed (also make spore like it was supposed to be!)
TheElderGrue

Microbe

Just wanted to add my thanks as well. Good work MaxisLucy and those at EA who decided on this fix... definitely a step in the right direction. My kids will finally be able to play the game the way is was meant to be played.
Hawkian

MouthBreather

yesrah wrote:does that mean that, hypothetically, each Spore screen name can have it's own galaxy, as long as a Spore screen name was logged on a different Windows screen name?

I'm not them, but based on my technical understanding, that's exactly what it means.

aim icon
OpDDay2001

Microbe

doofusian wrote:
all Screen Names will be playing in the same Galaxy

I really wish you guys would reconsider this. I don't understand why they can't be in a different galaxy entirely, it makes a lot more sense and would solve a lot of problems with saved games and achievements. For instance, if I go and blow up Earth on one save I'm not going to be able to get the same achievement in another game. You're destroying the replayability of the game by doing it this way.

That is simply not an option. Not yet. Spore is not designed to generate galaxies at will. It would take a relatively substantial patch that updates options, program code, and the UI to create a new galaxy. It also needs to generate a way to distinguish one planet in one galaxy from another. The whole galaxy would also need to be saved and stored in a way that Spore was not originally designed to do. It is just not feasible to do right now. It may be the next logical step, and it seems to be where they are eventually headed, but it's far to soon to implement anything like that.

Edit: I really should of read the rest of this post. Obviously this doesn't apply if you are on a different Windows User Name or a different computer entirely. In those cases, obviously, the galaxy would likely be different. It is switching Galaxies on the fly that would be the issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/18/2008 04:53:44

-Moderator of GamingSteve.com Forums-

Want quality, and aesthetically pleasing creatures? Well so do I, but instead all you get is link my Sporepedia. Oh wait.... I think I said that wrong.
elektrodragon

Microbe

What about the creatures I made in Creature Creator with my own Spore.com account?? How will my screen name, which is attached to my wife's activated Spore.com account, know those creatures belong to me????

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/18/2008 05:30:59

OpDDay2001

Microbe

elektrodragon wrote:What about the creatures I made in creature creator with my own Spore.com account?? How will my screen name, which is attached to my wife's activated Spore.com account, know those creatures belong to me????

I don't think the changes are retroactive. Anything already uploaded and associated with an account (currently) is locked into that account unless you delete it from the associated Sporepedia, load it in the account you want to haev the creature, make a small change, save and share under that account. We'll have to wait for Maxis to actually program the server-side corrections, incorporate and design the needed parts (security, script, design/layout changes), as well as work on altering Spore's programming to allow better recognition of accounts. Don't let the way their posts are worded fool you, there is a lot of work to be done. Work that can be time consuming. They're professionals so they can probably hammer it out pretty quick but it's still a lot of work and it needs to be tested before it goes live. A change like this could cause unforeseen security issues.

-Moderator of GamingSteve.com Forums-

Want quality, and aesthetically pleasing creatures? Well so do I, but instead all you get is link my Sporepedia. Oh wait.... I think I said that wrong.
TDOONAN

Multicellular

Way to go team Maxis!! I am very happy with the game and will no doubt be playing it for a long time to come. I still play all of my SimCity games from time to time and still enjoy them a lot.

SC2000 is still my favorite because it has an actual sand box mode that lets you just design, build and play to try different things without having to spend hours and hours building a city just to knock it down with a large fire breathing lizard. This would be an awesome patch / expac for Spore. Just let us play with our toys the way we want.

Anyway, keep up the good work. And try to get some rest if you can!

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Draycen

Microbe

Hooray. Finally l I can stop bumping that other SPORE thread

Thank you Maxis (EA?) for finally deciding to implement this. It 100% solves my issues and I'm happy with this solution. I'm surprised EA/Maxis didn't anticipate this being an issue before the game was released but at least you'll know for next time!

Cheers
Draycen
mcdexx

Microbe

Thank you to the Spore team for finally doing something to fix this problem. The solution isn't ideal, but it's a very good start, and coupled with the news about the impending loosening of the three-installs policy it should go a long way to repairing much of the damage done to EA's reputation.

I have one question, though. We bought two copies of the full version of the Creature Creator, and my wife made quite a few creatures. The username she made is the one she uses in all online communities. Is that username now locked off? Is there any way that username can be changed into one of the four additional screen names on my account?

Honestly, though, the given solution seems needlessly complex. I mean, the screen names are a whole new feature that has to be designed, programmed, and tested before release. Simply allowing five accounts per registration seems like a much more sensible idea to me.

That said, I'm not going to turn my nose up at this. EA has listened to the message coming from their users and taken steps to give us what we want, and that counts for a lot.
talenramel

Microbe

This is the beginning of what I hope will be a pleasant trend in making our interactions with this game better. Kudos on the great idea.

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: