The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
"You may have multiple Spore accounts for each installation of the game" - NOT  XML
Forum Index » Spore Help
Tharkun86

Microbe

Why then states the EULA that the rules of EULA and "accompanying documentation" apply?

In the manual on page 56 it says: "[...]and the documentation that is included with this product (the "Manual")[...]" - doesn't this mean that the manual is part of the documentation? That what is written there has to be considered as part of the license agreement?

gigasquirrel

Microbe

EA apparently doesn't understand "the law of unintended consequences". By implementing these anti-piracy measures they're actually going to drive more (honest) people to look for a way to bypass the one user restrictions, making it more likely that the game will eventually be pirated!

SKS
heints

Microbe

After the POINT OF SALE we installed and agreed to a license. The agreement includes the documentation packaged with the game. This is not a misprint, this is EA turning their backs on a problem. They are not following the agreement.

Even on page 3 of my manual it says one registration per install.

Then on page 52 it says multiple users per install.

These statements do not contradict each other, they are seemingly tied together in a valid agreement of user rights.

On top of that, when you purchase any given software, THE CONSUMER MUST BE AWARE of user privileges. When you purchase AutoCAD for an office, there is written documentation, legal rights, that provide the software to a certain amount of users. This must be know at the POINT OF SALE. Where on the box, anywhere, does it inform the consumer that the license is for a single user? Where???
Riamus

Multicellular

Heh... Fun stuff.

First of all, there's no legal recourse due to the limited account misprint. You do not need to see the EULA before purchase (on the box or otherwise). You automatically agree to it when you install the software. It's been that way since EULAs (and ToS for that matter) came into being. So all of the talk about it being breach of contract or any other terminology you choose to use... it isn't. Note that I'm not saying it's a good choice on EA's part.

There is a difference between games that don't have online accounts and games that do have online accounts with regards to how many accounts to can create with one game. For example, I can't create more than one account in WoW (and it doesn't say that on the box, btw). I can create more than one character, but not more than one account. Spore lets you create more than one character, but not more than one account. Same thing. This is different from a game that is offline only, where you can create unlimited accounts on your computer because it's limited to your computer. You can't compare them as they are two entirely different situations.

Now, like I said before, it's not a good choice by EA and there may be better options. But it isn't unusual, nor is the misprint in any way binding. If the misprint was in the EULA, then it would be binding. And, no, stating "supporting documentation" doesn't make the supporting documentation binding. Manuals are not legal material (in other words, what's said in them has no legal recourse).

SPORE: The Journey of Many Lives
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Riamus

Remember to rate people who give you good advice and help.

StevenMC

MouthBreather

gigasquirrel wrote:EA apparently doesn't understand "the law of unintended consequences". By implementing these anti-piracy measures they're actually going to drive more (honest) people to look for a way to bypass the one user restrictions, making it more likely that the game will eventually be pirated!
SKS

LOL. I dunno. Honest people are seldom motivated to start committing FEDERAL crimes, especially if it comes down to paying an extra 50.00 to play a game with my wife, or go to prison. I'm thinking my wife would just have to suffer.

"...are you caulking your shoe?"
[Yahoo!] aim icon
elektrodragon

Microbe

"Misprint" is a ridiculous joke. Why design the software with a log in/log out/switch user mechanism at all if only ONE account can ever play an installed copy of the game? If you look under Options, Settings, Online Settings, there is a field that says "discconect from Spore or change users." IS THAT A MISPRINT TOO?? Give me a break.

This whole thing was originally designed so MULTIPLE USERS in a household could enjoy ONE purchased copy of the game. The manual text AND the software point towards this. But what probably happened at the last minute is some greedy executive thought to shaft everyone in an misguided idea that it would generate more revenue. Instead, it has created a PR nightmare of epic proportions. I already spent $120 on the Galactic Edition and special guide bundle, and now they expect to spend an extra $50 just so my wife and I can both play. I am not even asking to play at the same time as her.... just AT ALL, and I can't! This is thievery.

As for the guy above me, shame on you for bending over for the greedy suits instead of standing up to injustice.

I suggest you all e-mail not peons in tech support who can't so anythng about it, but the directors of EA and Maxis itself, their e-mail addresses are on this page: http://www.info.ea.com/company/company_message.php

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/10/2008 01:06:13

heints

Microbe

riamus wrote:Heh... Fun stuff.

First of all, there's no legal recourse due to the limited account misprint. You do not need to see the EULA before purchase (on the box or otherwise). You automatically agree to it when you install the software. It's been that way since EULAs (and ToS for that matter) came into being. So all of the talk about it being breach of contract or any other terminology you choose to use... it isn't. Note that I'm not saying it's a good choice on EA's part.

There is a difference between games that don't have online accounts and games that do have online accounts with regards to how many accounts to can create with one game. For example, I can't create more than one account in WoW (and it doesn't say that on the box, btw). I can create more than one character, but not more than one account. Spore lets you create more than one character, but not more than one account. Same thing. This is different from a game that is offline only, where you can create unlimited accounts on your computer because it's limited to your computer. You can't compare them as they are two entirely different situations.

Now, like I said before, it's not a good choice by EA and there may be better options. But it isn't unusual, nor is the misprint in any way binding. If the misprint was in the EULA, then it would be binding. And, no, stating "supporting documentation" doesn't make the supporting documentation binding. Manuals are not legal material (in other words, what's said in them has no legal recourse).

1. I bought the Creature Creator. Me and my daughter had separate accounts, and we used these accounts on separate user accounts in Vista. Why can't this be done now?? During installation of Spore I was INFORMED TO ERASE CREATURE CREATOR... The installation program informed me I would be able to access all my creatures, and the features, while playing Spore. And I did delete CC. Now I've lost my access, ALL TOGETHER, to play CC or Spore.

2. YOU DO NOT SUBSCRIBE OR PLAY SPORE ONLINE WITH OTHER PEOPLE!!!! This is not a MMORG, NO co-op, no death match, nothing. The Spore account is a FREE, let me say again, FREE SERVICE.

3. We have bought a game that promised - MULTIPLE ACCOUNTs PER INSTALLATION. That is plain and simple.
MaxisLucky

Developer

I understand that you folks are upset about this - but this is a misprint in the manual and it will be changed in the next printing.

And, in fact, each and every box (both of the Core Game and the Galactic Edition) states "Only one registration available per game" on the back.

There were many reason why we chose to have one account per copy of the game - some had to do with how saved games work and some had to do with limiting the online feature only to the one person who bought the game. We aren't charging a subscription fee for the online features and given the load to our servers we were very interested in making the experience for paying customers not be slow and laggy because of many multiple accounts per copy of the game. 2x to 1000x the number of people with accounts per game equals 2x to 1000x the number of creations on the server.

Please don't take it out on the mods. They are just trying to keep things civil.

-MaxisLucky

MaxisLucky
Sr. Producer @ Maxis
Fighter of the good fight
pman555

Microbe

maxislucky wrote:I understand that you folks are upset about this - but this is a misprint in the manual and it will be changed in the next printing.

And, in fact, each and every box (both of the Core Game and the Galactic Edition) states "Only one registration available per game" on the back.

There were many reason why we chose to have one account per copy of the game - some had to do with how saved games work and some had to do with limiting the online feature only to the one person who bought the game. We aren't charging a subscription fee for the online features and given the load to our servers we were very interested in making the experience for paying customers not be slow and laggy because of many multiple accounts per copy of the game. 2x to 1000x the number of people with accounts per game equals 2x to 1000x the number of creations on the server.

Please don't take it out on the mods. They are just trying to keep things civil.

-MaxisLucky

exactly...dont take it out on "violet" or any mods, its not their fault.

not to mention, if the box says "only one registration available per game" thats pretty clear. ( i just checked and mine has it) so when exactly where you promised multiple accounts? creature creator and spore are completely different games.

plus...what are you going to do...sue EA? come on...
hideflomein

Microbe

"There were many reason why we chose to have one account per copy of the game - some had to do with how saved games work and some had to do with limiting the online feature only to the one person who bought the game."

If that's the case, why did you leave in the functionality to "log-in" and/or "create account" after the reg code was linked to an account? You need to find some way to work this out, because it's unfair to families who you're expecting to spend an additional $50 each just to use the online component.
heints

Microbe

maxislucky wrote:I understand that you folks are upset about this - but this is a misprint in the manual and it will be changed in the next printing.

-MaxisLucky

I do not believe you are an actual representative of Maxis or EA because the answer you provided is purely ignorant.

As you, a person representing the company who sells this software, are telling us that there is a SERVER CONCERN.

We can't access our account because you do not want to overload the MAXIS/EA servers???

We can not use the software we gladly purchased, in loyalty to Spore, because you do not want too many people actually playing the game. EA/Maxis does not want too many people having active accounts because there might be an overload.

**** YOU!!!
pman555

Microbe

heints wrote:

-MaxisLucky

I do not believe you are an actual representative of Maxis or EA because the answer you provided is purely ignorant.

As you, a person representing the company who sells this software, are telling us that there is a SERVER CONCERN.

We can't access our account because you do not want to overload the MAXIS/EA servers???

We can not use the software we gladly purchased, in loyalty to Spore, because you do not want too many people actually playing the game. EA/Maxis does not want too many people having active accounts because there might be an overload.

**** YOU!!!

holy...

calm down man, its just a video game.
hideflomein

Microbe

pman555 wrote:
not to mention, if the box says "only one registration available per game" thats pretty clear. ( i just checked and mine has it) so when exactly where you promised multiple accounts? creature creator and spore are completely different games.

1) It says "one registration available", but it also says "multiple accounts can be used for each installation of the game (p. 52). Also, as I've said before, why have the option to login or create accounts after you've run it once? If you're only allowed one account per registration, then those should be disabled, right?

And then there's the achievements: if these are things you're supposed to show that you've achieved, and someone else uses your account and unlocks them before you have a chance to, what's the point? What's so wrong with letting a household have even a limited number of accounts (say 3-5) to linked to a single installation - especially since it's on a single computer? It's not like two players will be able to "hammer" the servers simultaneously, because there's only one computer running it. This was a bad last minute choice, plain and simple.

2) No, CC and Spore are NOT completely different games - CC is a small part of Spore.

3) We won't sue, but we also won't ever buy a game from EA again.
hideflomein

Microbe

pman555 wrote:
calm down man, its just a video game.

It's also $50+ that we spent to play this game and we're being told we can't use it in a reasonable fashion.
heints

Microbe

-MaxisLucky

exactly...dont take it out on "violet" or any mods, its not their fault.

Yes the manual informs the same thing. But REGISTERING software is another story. Yes we have activated our validation, we have paid and we are here. Now we're being screwed by you suck @$$ people. This is an outrage, this is at EA's fault, and EA KNOWS IT.

Fix it now!!!

Or simply explain how to access my copy of the game. Do I need another freaking PC???? I have a laptop, is EA telling me I need another copy of the game to play on my work station???

Forum Index » Spore Help
Go to: