The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Answering your feedback about Spore Online Accounts  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
MaxisLucy

Developer

Hi Spore Players,

First, we want to thank you for your responses and feedback to my posting from Friday regarding Online Accounts and clarifying how things work. We’re listening and we want to announce some changes that we are making based on your feedback.

We are going to add the ability to have multiple Spore Screen Names for any one Spore Online Account. Here’s how this will work: for each copy of Spore that you have purchased, you will be able to have one Spore Online Account, just as it is now. However, we will be adding the ability to have five Spore Screen Names for that account. When you launch Spore, you will be able to log in with any of those Screen Names.

The content that is made and the MySpore Page will be associated with the logged in Screen Name for that account. Each Screen Name will be able to view and create content, Buddy Lists and Sporecasts that will be tied to that Screen Name. The Achievements earned will be credited to the Screen Name that is logged in at the time the Achievement is triggered. In the first iteration of this change, all Screen Names will be playing in the same Galaxy and any content downloaded by any Screen Name will be available in the Everything section.

We will be putting the ability to add Screen Names to a Spore Online Account on our website. If you already have the game, and want to add new Screen Names to your account you will be able to do so there.

We felt that this was a good step in the right direction to begin to respond to the feedback you have given us and evolve Spore (not with an extra set of arms in this case but definitely using our DNA points for the better good). We are aggressively working on this now; we will get back to you with more information on timing as soon as possible.

Lucy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/19/2008 22:26:03

MaxisLucky

Developer

So... now that you know we're working to enable multiple screen names per Spore account, I thought I'd answer some questions about how it's going to work after we complete building out the first round of the new system.

-- How many screen names can I have? How will I set them up? --

On the login page for the website, we'll be adding a link to a page where you can manage your screen names. You'll be able to have a total of 5 screen names tied to one main Spore account. So if you already have a Spore account and screen name, you'll be able to add 4 screen names to that account.

All 5 screen names will be tied to the email address the main account was set up with.

-- What's the deal with my creations and Sporecasts? --

If you log in with your screen name and upload your creations to the server, they will show up with your screen name as the creator. If your sister logs in with her screen name and uploads creations, they will show her screen name as the creator. And so on for all the different screen names for the account.

Every screen name will get its own My Spore Page. Sporecasts will also show up with the correct screen name of the creator of the Sporecast.

-- How about my Achievements? --

Achievements are tricky. While we hope to make them completely unique to any screen name eventually, this will not be possible without an update to the game itself.

So, where will we be after this initial pass at multiple screen name system is live?

In this first pass of this system, the screen name that is logged in will get credited for the Achievement at the time that it triggers. So if I'm logged and play for 99 hours, and then I log off and my sister logs in and plays for 1 hour, she’ll get the honor of the 100 hours achievement, and I won’t. It'll show up on her My Spore page, not mine.

We know that this is not the ideal solution and will work on improvements to this feature in the future.

-- When will this new system be live? How do you find out more information? --

We are actively working on this right now. There will be a fair bit of work for the Spore Online Team to get it set up and tested properly so when I have a better idea about a timeline, I'll post back to this thread.

Thanks for all your comments and feedback. With a community this exciting, my job never gets boring.

-MaxisLucky

MaxisLucky
Sr. Producer @ Maxis
Fighter of the good fight
ZeroSk8J

Multicellular

It's a great idea.

Personally i prefer having another screen name, than re-creating my entire account.

Now i can probably relate certain screen names to certain creatures.

[Email] aim icon
Zanadu

Microbe

Thanks Lucy & Lucky for the Info!

I will never probably use it, but I know for multi fams this is a good start.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys did for spore,
I personally am enjoying it as is and will enjoy it more once you
get things tweaked a little more.

Tell everyone in the maxis building good job!

Zanadu

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/17/2008 23:59:02

jjwalters3

Microbe

There's a smile on my face. It's ashamed that we had to yell and scream, but this is indeed good news. Thank you for the information.

By chance, can you sticky this?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/18/2008 00:05:41

Zstar20

Civilized Sporeon

Thanks this seems amazing, and I cant wait for it even though I might not use it as much and only with my friends when over my house or with family. Will this be implemented in a patch? and if so then what else can we expect from the patch? I doubt I will be answered but oh well.

But Thank you for the awesome game and this upcoming update!
Korlath

Multicellular

this seems pretty good. im satisfied. :o

When will the corrupted save issue be fixed?
Freyar

MouthBreather

This would put the Chelkan Empire at ease with this incident, and therefore upon the implementation of this plan, we will recall the Starship Galase Mark II from Maxis borders.

Battsknox

Microbe

YIPPIE! My kids are doing the happy dance as I type. And I am rather happy about myself! I appreciate that you guys REALLY are listening. I know there is no pleasing everyone, but this is going to solve alot of families quams about the 1 account issue. THANKS!

I am TYPO DIVA, I invented TYPONESE
[WWW]
renlar

Multicellular

Thank you very much. This is an excellent start. ^-^ Keep it up. Now my little sister's stuff can actually be uploaded... ugly things that the are
JamesJB

Microbe

the screen name thing is cool and im happy about it,but getting rid of the silly 3 install limit would be also good too,Only cause i like reinstalling my OS every 6 months and upgradeing my system every so often.

Im not a pirate and i dont believe in piracy but the DRM needs to go.

i havent needed to use 1 of my reinstalls yet but i really hope the number ya call to renew the 3 installs is a toll free number,not everyone can afford to have long distance

P.S. sorry wasnt ment as a flame but im getting tired of DRM's in games
Michlo

Multicellular

Thank you.

Whilst this didn't impact me personally I know it did for many and this is a great indication that feedback is actually given some merit.

Cheers.

Lord Michlo
Founder and protector of Clan Walker

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Michlo|2263152875

[WWW]
theultimateend

Civilized Sporeon

Ok I have the Galactic Edition (Just want to kiss some ass before I ask my question).

I would like my girlfriend to be able to play this game, would I be able to have this installed on her PC and mine and have her use a different screenname on that PC?

If the answer ends up being yes you have gained a +10 in our relationship between the tribe of Rico and the tribe of Maxis.

I could have done it better with the same funds and manpower. 'It' being the variable in this statement. - Me

"There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wage possible." - Henry Ford

My website | If I had made Spore!

[Email]
MaxisLucky

Developer

theultimateend wrote:
I would like my girlfriend to be able to play this game, would I be able to have this installed on her PC and mine and have her use a different screenname on that PC?

That should work - and as I have more details about the actual implementation I'll try to share them.

-MaxisLucky

MaxisLucky
Sr. Producer @ Maxis
Fighter of the good fight
theultimateend

Civilized Sporeon

maxislucky wrote:
theultimateend wrote:

That should work - and as I have more details about the actual implementation I'll try to share them.

-MaxisLucky

Alright. Considering I am still having troubles being at odds with you folks (I've dreamed of working at Maxis since I first played Sim City 2000 on a friends PC years ago) so I won't take a forum knife to your proverbial throat if this ends up not being true.

I do appreciate the effort to fix the whole debacle and the fact that you guys aren't getting overwhelmed by the sheer level of complaining (I've put a few lbs into the pile of poo that is this poopstorm of complaints).

I just hope the fact that I wrote 6 pages of my suggestions that it makes up for the post here and there of me whining like a little War Muncher (my latest creation...he's disturbingly cute to me...well...cute in a disturbing way).

I could have done it better with the same funds and manpower. 'It' being the variable in this statement. - Me

"There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wage possible." - Henry Ford

My website | If I had made Spore!

[Email]

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: