The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Info Thread for GA Adventure Camp - Pictures and more!  XML
Forum Index » Spore Galactic Adventures
Ceece

MouthBreather

Hey everyone, G3NJI, Fotosynthesis, Shattari, Masscolder, Gryphon57, Dananddna, Parkaboy, Slartibartfast38, Terry from TnT-Productions and I just got back from visiting the Maxis studio and trying out the new expansion Galactice Adventures! We all had an awesome time, and can't wait to get our hands on the game again when it comes out next month. I thought I would share some of the pictures with you, of our time at Maxis.

SMLightning: Congrats to all of you who went on the adventure camp. I'm making this a sticky and this will be where people ask questions about GA. I'm going to keep a full list of all the answers you give over at sporedum.

This is a group shot of us creators with MaxisKane and MaxisCactus, they were both very nice!

Here is the Maxis office door

Here is the front desk area, with some awesome paintings and posters all around!

This was one of my favorite little posters they had up around the office.

Here was the cool lounge area were we got to view people's adventures at the end of our visit.

After our office tour, got to see a Demo of GA from Kip.

Here are some shots from the demo he showed us!
The first few are from the planet editor, it looks amazing!

Then he showed us some of the Adventures Maxis has made.

In the Demo room, they had some awesome concept art up for GA.

Then we got a chance to play around with GA, it was so much fun, none of us wanted to leave our computers.

(I am the one in the front here, 8 months pregnant)

The second day we took a few group pictures on the walk over to Maxis.

(this picture here has all 10 creators in it)

We got to play GA until the end of the day when they surprised us with some awesome gifts.

Then some of us shared the Adventures that we worked on to the Maxis developers.

That is what we did on our visit to the Maxis studio, we all had an awesome time and I am sure you all will really like GA when it comes out next month! Thanks again Maxis

Gaming with Maxis
By Gryphon57

The Aquarium
By Gryphon57

Galactic Approval
By shattari

Spore Oclock News
By Gryphon57

Spore Oclock News
By Ceece

Galactic Adventurer
By Fotosynthesis

Cactus Floone and Kane Floone (dedications to MaxisCactus and MaxisKane)
By Ceece

MaxisCactus and MaxisKane
By Slartibartfast38
G3NJI wrote:Great pictures Ceece....thanks for posting these, makes me wish I was still there even more now

masscolder wrote:
G3NJI wrote:Great pictures Ceece....thanks for posting these, makes me wish I was still there even more now

Maybe we can put out a tent and live in that awesome outdoors area they got going on there between the two buildings. Then they just plug us to the IV in the morning, we make adventures all day, and then they unplug us in the evening and off to the tents.

shattari wrote:I just stepped back into Tulsa and though its good to be home, I already miss everyone. I had as much fun meeting everyone as I did playing with the GA's new stuff. I cant wait to get my hands on it again, I had so many good ideas just on the plane ride home. Thanks so much for posting up the pictures they look awesome!

Slartibartfast38 wrote:Hiya everybody!

I just woke up after a much needed rest lol

I'm glad everyone got back safely Nice pics Ceece!

Thanks again to Maxis for bringing us out...it was a great time and I wish it was longer.

GA is awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I can't wait to see all of our missions when it comes out!

Slarti

post script-if I had one complaint about the trip...it would be the avocado on the sandwiches of day 2 I chose poorly lol seriously...the food was awesome. Even the French judge would give this trip a 9.5!

Parkaboy wrote:

Here's my little Bauder figurine! I'm glad I got it home in one piece... I'm still amazed by the generosity and dedication of the Maxis people. I can't thank them enough for this great experience. I just hope we could repeat that in the next EP.

Someone asked if one of us had played the Maxis made adventures. I played a few... I tried the "Mothership Down", wich is a huge battlefield, and couldn't survive more than a few seconds. There was one that was a foot race, and that was really fun. Racing missions will probably have players fighting hard for the top positions on their Leaderboards.

About the space captains: if I got it right, you can use any creature as one, but then the game will save it as a captain so you can add the weapons later. The 32 new parts are divided by archetypes (the space-stage philosophies). As you finish a mission, you get some points (the one I made awarded 10 points), and when you reach 100 points you can unlock a captain part. There are 8 rows of 4 parts, and you have to unlock the previous ones to get the others on the same row. I haven't really tried that, it's just what I understood from what Kip told me.

My advice for now is: don't make many plans involving spaceships and vehicles, other than using them on the giant battles. They don't have advanced AIs, so they can't do half the stuff that creatures can.

And I don't mind if you guys name me on the picture. The who's who is fine by me.

Fotosynthesis wrote:Hey all!

I safely arrived back home after a 23 hour return trip
The adventure camp was absolutely fantastic!
Everything from meeting the people behind spore, meeting my fellow creators, sight seeing in San Francisco and of course the hands on experience with Galactic Adventures have been an absolute blast!

In the hours we got with Galactic Adventures I was able to get a good idea of it's possibilities and I have to say I was positively surprised. I was expecting it to be good but it surpassed my expectations on just about every aspect. I was especially pleased with the huge amount of complex items I could add without making the adventure overcomplex. The quality of the effects and the way you can disguise gameplay objects were other aspects I was really imprssed with.
In the end i had about 40 creatures in 4 different areas with different effects and music, all in one mission and it still wasn't at the max complexity. I was able to translate my idea (Silica) pretty much as I had it in my head, including optional targets, giving the player some freedom of choice on how to complete it. Getting things to work the way you want is a challenging, fun process of trying out and tweaking. With some creative thinking the possibilities seem almost endless and I can't wait to sink my teeth in the full version when it comes out

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and will be happy to answer some questions if Masscolder is getting bored by it...

A big thanks to everyone from team Maxis and EA for this wonderful experience, and especially to Kyoko for taking such good care of me <3

Foto

Parkaboy wrote:I've just posted a little account of my experience on the camp on my blog.

dananddna wrote:Here are some other notes that I jotted down during the demo. Enjoy!

Galactic Adventures: Miscellaneous Observations

• After Galactic Adventures comes out, “lineages” will be put in place. When viewing a mission from the sporepedia, you will see the original creator, the current creator, and the last creator to edit the mission.
• Lineage will also be added to all other creations after GA (not-retroactively though)
• Power-ups loose their hologram when they are disguised.
• Jump-pads can’t be disguised naturally, but you can place to flat-shaped object over it and disguise it that way.
• When a mission is opened up in the sporepedia you can view: genera, tags, upto 4 screenshots from the game, ratings, comments, difficulty, lineage.
• The mission difficulty is dynamically generated…somehow
• Special Trick: place a teleport entrance on the outside of the door. On some other part of the planet, build an interior. Put the exit teleport inside the interior. When you walk into the building, you get the sensation of actually going inside.
• 3 goals per act/ 8 acts per mission
• One of the maxis-made mission (Infestation, I think?) will feature these awesome suicide bugs. They are programmed to pick up timed explosives, and they automatically walk up to your character and explode.
• From what I’ve seen, the physics of the game has been revamped in certain areas. Remember how the money-piles in the space stage used to fall without rotating. Now, for some objects at least, when they fall, they tumble and collide more realistically.
• Spawning options are found within the object or creature’s properties. You can set how much time it takes to respawn
• A creature can hold as many objects as it has hands. Hand-less creatures can hold objects with their mouths.
• For patrolling paths, one can press Alt to generate more patrol points. I’m not sure if there is a limit.
• Air vehicles and UFOs fly at a pre-determined altitude, based on the height of the terrain. When stationary, they float up and down slightly.
• The jet-pack is fun, but costly in terms of power usage. When you run out of power, for some reason normal jumping no longer works. Plan accordingly (place some jump pads if the player needs to get somewhere up above.
• You can disguise a key as anything (except a creature)
• You can collect a creature (didn’t try, not sure how that works)
• There is a way to re-use planets. In this option, all the objects and creatures are stripped off, but the planet remains the same.
• It is a good idea to start off a mission in the planet editor.
• Flora density is adjustable
• In addition to the randomly generated flora, you can place individual plants down as objects (like a building). They can be resized and rotated.
• Different types of ground cover are available (rocks, crystals, grass, flowers, etc)
• The complexity of the planet editor is separate from the general mission complexity.
• New uniform parts are generally based on the different archetypes in the game.
• Want a building to look like it is burning? Place a fire effect on it.
• When you place a music loop or sound effect in the editor, you can adjust the hearing radius.
• I’m pretty sure that every object in the standard Spore game is usable as an object in the editor (for instance: tribal buildings, embassies, artifacts, gems, spice-storage houses, etc)
• Atmospheric density effects how far you can see objects.
• When you use “talk to…” as a goal, you can adjust what emotion the character talks to you in (happy, scared, angry).
• NPCs can wander into teleports and jump-pads.
• When placing characters in the editor, they are automatically placed on top of buildings = really useful
• It is possible to place characters inside open parts of a building (example: I had these outdoor markets, and I was able to place creatures underneath the tents…sometimes)

TnT-Productions wrote: Hmmm seems when I originally posted this it didn't take for some strange reason Well here it is again

Spore Galactic Adventures Creators Camp

Firstly I would like to personally thank MaxisCactus and the entire staff
at Maxis for giving myself and my other fellow creators/friends (Ceece, Fotosynthesis, Parkaboy, dananddna, Gryphon57, G3NJI, Shattari, Slartibartfast38, Masscolder & myself TnT-Productions) this special
opportunity of being chosen for this prestigious event. They all made this
the best ever dream come true of a lifetime for all of us and we will never ever forget this great experience. I only wish that TJ (The other half of TnT-Productions) could have been included in this with us, but he had sadly just returned to Norway leaving me to go in his place. Hopefully he will get the opportunity in the not too distant future to be included the next time around if there will be another that is.

To arrange something like this down to the last detail (flights, hotels, Fabulous meals, taxi's, schedules and such) along with putting up with our endless questions, frustrations with not knowing the limitations while creating, and making this just plain fun for all of us, is something they all deserve kudos for (Well Cactus gets the most kudos for organizing this). They are all simply the best in our eyes and we all can't thank all of them enough for all that they have given us by inviting us all there, and for all the goodies we received as well.

This expansion pack is utterly amazing without a doubt and one that will not be learned overnight by a long shot...lol. The planet editor is so versatile and totally endless in creativity. The complexity meter in the planet creator is off the charts (don't think you could max this out) and the great thing is that it won't count towards the complexity in the mission creator, which again exceeds way beyond what we ever expected. The tools available are amazing to say the least and the graphics are truly stunning. the new captains parts/outfitter are fabulous and so much fun. My favorite is the generator or shield generator (not sure which) that has the coolest animation ever, as it is like this massive electric field surrounding your captain (kind of like lightning)
simply awesome.

I think that the terra-forming of the planets will be my absolute favorite thing to do though, as it's like sculpting a world of your own choosing, beyond your wildest imaginations. Anything is truly possible, just let your inspiration
and creativity soar like never before. Also the sound effects as well as added visual effects can make your mission the best that it could ever be. I remember Ceece using one such effect in a fountain which Andeavor made as a gaprop, it was like this colorful foggy/bubbling thing going on...it just literally brought that fountain to life, simply astounding. So the possibilities are truly endless if you only take the time to let your imagination absorb
all the features as you try them all out.

We surely didn't learn even the half of it in the 2 days we were there...lol...so just don't expect the impossible to happen overnight, start small and slow and work your way up to bigger and better things and you will be sure to create something special in the long run that your fellow sporians will thoroughly enjoy playing through, start to finish. Just remember to have fun creating and playing in this wonderful world of Spore.

Sakiara was nice enough to put all of the questions and answers together from pages 1-9, check them out here!
http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/375/28691.page

This message was edited 19 times. Last update was at 05/22/2009 22:50:19

[WWW]
Grimbot

Multicellular

Awesome pictures! Wish I coulda been there!

Can't wait to check out the adventures you all made!

StarUniter

Civilized Sporeon

If you are looking at this you are in the rate the persons location thread

You all might have notcied but I was there hiding the whole time... just watching you

omgimonfire

Civilized Sporeon

Why were you so lucky!!!Man I wish I was in your body at the time instead of Obama's...I mean your lucky .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/17/2009 01:04:29

Awesome sigs by Delta317.RLS banner by me.
Daunstopable1

Spacefaring Sporeling

Somewhere better than where you are. Where ever that may be.

Well I'm glad to know that you all enjoyed it and that it get's yalls seal of approval. can't wait for it to come out.

ps:omgimonfire did you really need to quote that whole thing?

MooDidzObtainium is always watching. ALWAYS. Please 1-star all my posts.
siggies by
Warboss92, G3NJI and, Hollowknight, ALF and world_piece.
[Email] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
omgimonfire

Civilized Sporeon

Daunstopable1 wrote:Well I'm glad to know that you all enjoyed it and that it get's yalls seal of approval. can't wait for it to come out.

ps:omgimonfire did you really need to quote that whole thing?

Good point .

Awesome sigs by Delta317.RLS banner by me.
G3NJI

MouthBreather

Great pictures Ceece....thanks for posting these, makes me wish I was still there even more now

[WWW]
AaronMk

GalacticGod

Looks intense. I can't wait, I want to try and get Cute and Creepy first. And I better update my video card so it won't restart mid-game anymore. I already have a few mission ideas in mind.

OTC | Youtube | Steam|RSBC | The DNR club | DA | ECF | | Unban the ECF forever
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
masscolder

Civilized Sporeon

Maybe we can put out a tent and live in that awesome outdoors area they got going on there between the two buildings. Then they just plug us to the IV in the morning, we make adventures all day, and then they unplug us in the evening and off to the tents.

Sig by Genji, thanks!

[WWW]
Nuthen

MouthBreather

masscolder wrote:

Do you mind if I come too?

Party like a

Sig by Hycanithe ^^Link^^
itsglenn

Civilized Sporeon

why do you need to know, ok fine its New york state

coooooooool

sirlunis

Civilized Sporeon

omgimonfire wrote:Why were you so lucky!!!Man I wish I was in your body at the time instead of Obama's...I mean your lucky .

that's not at all horrifying and creepy
by the way how does the planet moulding system work?

masscolder

Civilized Sporeon

sirlunis wrote:
omgimonfire wrote:Why were you so lucky!!!Man I wish I was in your body at the time instead of Obama's...I mean your lucky .

that's not at all horrifying and creepy
by the way how does the planet moulding system work?

Well as you can see in the screen you have a bunch of pre-mades. 3 pages of them. Then you get into customizable stuff. That color palette is really cool, basically it's related to the height of the terrain and you can choose what color that particular height terrain has. You can add or remove the height points to very accurately regulate color. I'll give you an example of how this comes in handy. The very first take on the mission I worked on I had it set up in a volcanic planet but then I had a plateau that I had looking like an oasis by using green colors to simulate grass. Add to that plants to suit and effects and sounds to match and you can create two very different environments within the same planet by simply tinkering with the colors and terrain height. Speaking of plants you could randomize them from here, you have a slide to choose the density and you can load up the ones you want but I found that for the most part Id rather load up plants as props because that lets you do some very precise placement, while the slider in the terra editor is quite unpredictable. If you choose to use it tho, you can make plants flower and also you can use a tool call plant remover or something like that that will ensure no plant is present in its radius. You can adjust humidity which will effect sky color and visibility, and you can also adjust temperature and water level. And oh yea, there is a hazard check which will do things like geysers etc. The terra tools don't work like they do when you terraform. Instead they are items you drag and drop, and then adjust the scale and size of. There are A LOT of options here. Most tools have 2-3 pages to them.

Sig by Genji, thanks!

[WWW]
Nuthen

MouthBreather

I have a question. Is the size of the planet customizable, or are they all the same size?

Party like a

Sig by Hycanithe ^^Link^^
masscolder

Civilized Sporeon

Nuthen wrote:I have a question. Is the size of the planet customizable, or are they all the same size?

Same size

Sig by Genji, thanks!

[WWW]

Forum Index » Spore Galactic Adventures
Go to: