The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Galactic Adventures Storyboard Contest - Winners Announced!  XML
Forum Index » Spore Community Showcase
MaxisCactus

Developer

Storyboard contest winners announced!

1st place: Afterfate for "The Meaningless Turtle"

Afterfate authored the winning storyboard called "The Meaningless Turtle".

Maxoids Ian Armstrong, John Cimino and Guillaume Pierre recreated Afterfate's story in Galactic Adventures to make it into an official Maxis adventure! Download and play the mission.

Download and play the adventure simply by opening your Spore game and choosing it in the Maxis adventure Sporecast.

Storyboard Images By Afterfate

Adventure Preview
by Maxis

MaxisCimino wrote:After reading the storyboards it became clear to me that the player had created a rather interesting fable-like story that had very distinct characters with clear motivations. I had a lot of fun working with those characters and designing the environments to match their individual personalities. I especially enjoyed creating the temple for the Guru of Wealth …which, of course, had to be made of solid, sparkling gold.

MaxisIan wrote:The storytelling style kind of reminded me of an old myth or fable, complete with gurus and the meaning of life! It parallels something you might see in the stereotypical interpretation of eastern philosophies, where the hero travels great distances to find a wise man sitting under the tree of knowledge/power/something else symbolic.

2nd place: KrakenMK for "Evynwire Scroll Quest"

Thanks to everyone who submitted, it was a tough choice!

Contest Details

We want your best adventure ideas!

Get your best adventure ideas on paper and enter our Spore Galactic Adventures Storyboard Contest!

The first place winner will receive an NVIDIA© GeForceGTX™, a 3D printed Spore creature, and their storyboard will be used to create an adventure by Maxis developers! The second place winner will recieve 3D printed Spore sculpture. May the most awesome storyboard win!

Official Contest FAQ

Q:Should I draw my storyboard on paper or create it with an image editing program?
Both methods are acceptable, but if you're going to draw your storyboard out, make sure you have access to a scanner so you can get it online.

Q: Can my submissions be in color?
A: Submissions can be in color or black and white.

Q: How many pages can I submit?
A: You can submit up to 10 pages.

Q: How do I create a storyboard page?
A: Use any image editing program, such as photoshop, gimp, or even ms paint! You can also use the free Mashon Spore Comic Creator!

Q: Where can I post pictures of my storyboard for others to see?
A: You're welcomed to post images here on the forum! Share what you've got, get feedback, and improve your entry!

Q: The rules state that the winners get 3d printed creatures. What creature will they recieve?
A: We'll ask the winners for a few of their favorite creations that they've made, and choose one to print for them!

Q: How many frames can we put in one page?
A: As many as you like. Just don't make it too hard for us to read or follow.

Q: Can we use stick men and Maxis fills in the blanks?
A: Yes. Be creative! Think outside the cube shaped planet.

Q: Can keys be picked up in one act and then carried with you and used in the following act?
A: Yes.

Q: I know that an act can include a goal such as picking up items (gems/treasure). Can you then have the captain 'give' those items to another sentient creature, triggering said creature to speak and provide him with valuable information that could aid in completing the mission successfully (info you would not otherwise obtain)? Or will the creature always speak to you upon encounter, without any gifts being involved?

A: Yes, actually, both scenarios described above can be implemented depending on what you want! In fact there are a few ways to do this. Here are some examples:

Set a goal for a captain to pick up a handheld item, and a goal to give the item to an NPC.
Set the act to be completed after these 2 goals, and set the behavior of the NPC in the following act to speak to the creature with the text you input. This text can be crucial info on mission completion.

You could achieve the second scenario by having the behavior of the NPC be to tell you that info when you have a talk to goal with it, without any gifts involved.

There are also other ways you could also achieve these situations, for example using the advanced AI conditional behaviors to set the NPC to talk to you only when holding the gem/treasure, but not to pick it up on its own, so your captain must deliver it to retrieve the info.

Q: I've heard rumor that you will be able to 'ride' other creatures in GA. Is this true?
A: No. The best way to achieve a similar illusion is to use a creature that looks like 2 creatures, one mounted on the other.

Q: Will I be able to create a complex maze or will the complexity meter limitations prevent this?
A: I've seen a number of cool complex mazes. I'll try to get more info on the current tuning of complexity and post more.

Q: Is it OK to use a Sporedum font?
A: This is a question for the legal team and I'll try to get an update, but in the mean time, I suggest that you submit an additional copy that doesn't use this font, just in case.

This message was edited 23 times. Last update was at 07/09/2009 19:07:50

[WWW]
Mootacoo

Civilized Sporeon

I'M ON A BOAT MOTHER****** DONT YOU EVER FORGET!

Awesome

Daunstopable1

Spacefaring Sporeling

Somewhere better than where you are. Where ever that may be.

Daunstopable1 wrote:
Mootacoo wrote:
WOO new contest:
http://www.spore.com/comm/contests

Woo another one that requires out of spore programs or capability.

MooDidzObtainium is always watching. ALWAYS. Please 1-star all my posts.
siggies by
Warboss92, G3NJI and, Hollowknight, ALF and world_piece.
[Email] [Yahoo!] [MSN]
PrinceShu

Spacefaring Sporeling

A silent room lit only by a flash of white.

Not interested.

[WWW]
iceman2

GalacticGod

oops wrong spot

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2009 18:54:45

[Email] [WWW]
kaploy9

MouthBreather

I might even try a mixture of both traditional and digital drawing. (if I can find a working scanner, of course) That way, I can print out some sections so it looks cleaner, but then hand-draw the scenes so it conveys the image better. Or something like that.

EDIT: Whoa, the deadline's May 18th? Trying to hurry things up, eh Maxiods?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2009 19:35:08

"Two's a couple, but Three's a forum game!" -Me
-- :antihunf: & :coolbeans: > < Use at your own risk. --
-Henricks, MN-Simtropolis-BF Heroes-Super Space 64-Tankball-Youtube-"The Petri Dish" Sporecast-
Once, and still is, a proud member of Sporeum, by far one of the best Spore fansites around.
--kaploy9's Sporepedia Mailbox--
loach

Civilized Sporeon

some where. not here. not there. but some where.~loach

why paper?why we must draw?

camaroKar wrote:A lame shark
- yep.
clever_name81

MouthBreather

MaxisCactus,
i have something like this already made for my cyplox thread:

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/25800.page#686671

could i submit that or were you looking for something more GA-centered? i would happily make another completely unrelated story.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2009 20:05:43

CopperWolf

Spacefaring Sporeling

How many frames can we put in one page?

Signature by Didzo.
[WWW]
crazy199292

Civilized Sporeon

In the very Regions of my mind that are of yet Unexplored

i think i'll try. i have ideas for this....oh how many pages is it?

CopperWolf

Spacefaring Sporeling

crazy199292 wrote:i think i'll try. i have ideas for this....oh how many pages is it?

Signature by Didzo.
[WWW]
crazy199292

Civilized Sporeon

In the very Regions of my mind that are of yet Unexplored

thanks

Bookmagician

Civilized Sporeon

This'll be interesting. I'm almost tempted to try something...

[WWW]
HollowKnight

Civilized Sporeon

Bookmagician wrote:This'll be interesting. I'm almost tempted to try something...

Same.
Seiniyta

Multicellular

2. Eligibility. This Contest is only open to residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and Canada, except Quebec, who are 13 years of age or older at time of entry and who had Internet access as of May 1st, 2009. This Contest is void in Quebec, Canada. Employees of Electronic Arts Inc. ("Sponsor") and its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives, advertising, promotion and publicity agencies ("Sponsor and its Agents") and the immediate family members and persons living in the same household of each are not eligible. Contest is void where prohibited, restricted or taxed by law. All federal, state, provincial, and local laws and regulations apply.

Maxis doesn't like Europe at all........

Forum Index » Spore Community Showcase
Go to: