The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Polypod Gait tutorial  XML
Forum Index » Creator Corner
MaxisCactus

Developer

Polypod Gait Tutorial

For this Sporeday, we've added a fun animation tutorial to the site. Check it out to find out how to control the animation of your polypod creature by adding and subtracting parts.

View tutorial: http://www.spore.com/comm/tutorials

Then show off the polypod you've made here!

Take a movie of your best polypod creation performing your favorite gait in play mode and post it here.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/19/2009 21:34:40

[WWW]
CopperWolf

Spacefaring Sporeling

Cool.

Signature by Didzo.
[WWW]
HollowKnight

Civilized Sporeon

Couldn't you do this for other pods like tetra, bi, tri, etc? I'm sure people would enjoy that as I know many problems with animation on certain creatures, but it would require a patch.

This is really pretty cool, if I could find a spine that has room for 7+ limbs and still looks good. Thanks for the tutorial
bcrane

Multicellular

Here is my attempt at a polypod. I made it easy to manipulate.. just add, eliminate, or double up the parts on the back. It's called a Tandor Bonnet Bug, for obvious reasons, on how I shaped the head.
MaxisCactus

Developer

HollowKnight wrote:Couldn't you do this for other pods like tetra, bi, tri, etc? I'm sure people would enjoy that as I know many problems with animation on certain creatures, but it would require a patch.

For creatures with 6 or less feet, the animation team parametrized different gaits for each number of feet. But, for creatures with more than 6 feet, they use an automated gait.

Several automated gaits were created, but the animators couldn't just pick one, since each had different strengths and weaknesses, and each was cool in its own way.

Instead of arbitrarily choosing any one of these gaits, the number of extra parts added to the creature is used to determine the gait animation that plays, giving the expert creator more control over the look and feel of their creation.

[WWW]
DavidKris

Microbe

MaxisCactus wrote:
HollowKnight wrote:Couldn't you do this for other pods like tetra, bi, tri, etc? I'm sure people would enjoy that as I know many problems with animation on certain creatures, but it would require a patch.

For creatures with 6 or less feet, the animation team parametrized different gaits for each number of feet. But, for creatures with more than 6 feet, they use an automated gait.

Is it just the number of feet (for less than 7 feet)? Or are there other variables that make a difference in the gate, such as leg lengths? or positions of the legs?

ZEE_EXX

Civilized Sporeon

sweet i've been out of ideas for 12+ legged creations ^_^ ty 4 the tutorial

TeamM

Multicellular

this is great info. I'm glad it was pointed out specifically, since the link between leg animation and extra parts would be very hard to figure out just from using the editor.

Are there any other indirect animation controls like this?

hakotah

Microbe

Hope I did YouTube and stuff ok....kinda a spore rookie.....but I'm working on it!!!!!love everyones work and really appreciate the tips and tricks.

[youtube]http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/duwfhc6pSwo/default.jpg[/youtube]
hakotah

Microbe

OK....guess not. I may not be real savvy on line...but I am SUTUBORN! So I will try some more.
hakotah

Microbe

Here we go again, hope this works this time......otherwise will give you all a break until tomorrow.
CopperWolf

Spacefaring Sporeling

Your vid says:
This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request.

Signature by Didzo.
[WWW]
kaploy9

MouthBreather

A few of my older creations that qualify as "polypods", and Yes, these do have the tag "polypod" now. (I really suggest you check the animation of the first one)

By the way, what happens when we get up to five parts and beyond? Does it just cycle back to the first gait again?

"Two's a couple, but Three's a forum game!" -Me
-- :antihunf: & :coolbeans: > < Use at your own risk. --
-Henricks, MN-Simtropolis-BF Heroes-Super Space 64-Tankball-Youtube-"The Petri Dish" Sporecast-
Once, and still is, a proud member of Sporeum, by far one of the best Spore fansites around.
--kaploy9's Sporepedia Mailbox--
MaxisChecker

Developer

DavidKris wrote:Is it just the number of feet (for less than 7 feet)? Or are there other variables that make a difference in the gate, such as leg lengths? or positions of the legs?

Yeah, there are a fair number of parameters, including leg lengths, positions, number of legs, movement speed, whether the creature is an epic, the relative lengths the groups, etc. I'll see if Bernd, our gait expert, can come comment.

Chris
MaxisChecker

Developer

TeamM wrote:Are there any other indirect animation controls like this?

Not like this one. The way your creature is shaped obvious indirectly impacts the animation, but there aren't any other "easter egg" type things like this in there...yet.

Chris

Forum Index » Creator Corner
Go to: