The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Stupid Fun News  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Author Message
MaxisWill


Developer

Joined: 11/04/2008 21:16:41
Messages: 2
Offline

Hey everyone.

There's a little press release going out today as we speak (well actually I'm not speaking, I'm typing... (and I guess you're not even listening, you're reading (unless you're having your new Kindle read this to you in which case you are listening) but you're definitely not reading this "as" the press release is going out, and I'm certainly typing this hours before the fact....) anyway. (I suck at writing)

The gist of the story is that I'm leaving EA (well, not really, I'll explain) to start (well, not quite start, it's actually been around for quite a while in a rather different form) ... let's say dive into a new venture, The Stupid Fun Club. The Stupid Fun was actually started many years ago by myself and my friend Mike Winter, we met while competing in Robot Wars and Battlebots. It was apparent to us that one day the robots would take over the world and we decided we wanted to be on the winning side, so our initial charter was to do whatever we could to usher in our new mechanical overlords.

Along the way we ending up building and prototyping a lot of... odd stuff. People would come by our shop and get interested in this stuff for various reasons. Some of this stuff sparked new creative ideas, even (*gasp*) ideas that may have "commercial, entertainment value" (this is how you talk when you've been around lawyers and MBA's too long).

At some point we started showing some of this stuff to the people at EA. They got excited by the prospect of us pursuing these projects commercially (or that's what they said anyway, I think they just want to be on the winning side of the coming robotic revolution as well). So we started talking to them (EA, not the robots, though we do talk to them as well, but the robot responses are cryptic at best) about getting involved and investing in The Stupid Fun Club (we asked the robots first but they're all broke).

So as things worked out I decided to jump into my work at the club more or less full time. But at The Stupid Club we'll be working on new games (along with EA) as well as other kinds of projects with different partners.

I can't talk about specific projects coming out of SFC just yet (alas, the robots won't let me), but as things develop I'll find a way to keep those of you who are interested informed about what we're doing (but not with a blog...I'll never have a blog). A major aspect of the projects I've worked on has always been the player community, that won't change.

-Will Wright

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2009 23:42:53

piePIEpie


Civilized Sporeon

Joined: 11/17/2008 18:30:28
Messages: 4734
Offline

MaxisWill wrote:Hey everyone.

There's a little press release going out today as we speak (well actually I'm not speaking, I'm typing... (and I guess you're not even listening, you're reading (unless you're having your new Kindle read this to you in which case you are listening) but you're definitely not reading this "as" the press release is going out, and I'm certainly typing this hours before the fact....) anyway. (I suck at writing)

The gist of the story is that I'm leaving EA (well, not really, I'll explain) to start (well, not quite start, it's actually been around for quite a while in a rather different form) ... let's say dive into a new venture, The Stupid Fun Club. The Stupid Fun was actually started many years ago by myself and my friend Mike Winter, we met while competing in Robot Wars and Battlebots. It was apparent to us that one day the robots would take over the world and we decided we wanted to be on the winning side, so our initial charter was to do whatever we could to usher in our new mechanical overlords.

Along the way we ending up building and prototyping a lot of... odd stuff. People would come by our shop and get interested in this stuff for various reasons. Some of this stuff sparked new creative ideas, even (*gasp*) ideas that may have "commercial, entertainment value" (this is how you talk when you've been around lawyers and MBA's too long).

At some point we started showing some of this stuff to the people at EA. They got excited by the prospect of us pursuing these projects commercially (or that's what they said anyway, I think they just want to be on the winning side of the coming robotic revolution as well). So we started talking to them (EA, not the robots, though we do talk to them as well, but the robot responses are cryptic at best) about getting involved and investing in The Stupid Fun Club (we asked the robots first but they're all broke).

So as things worked out I decided to jump into my work at the club more or less full time. But at The Stupid Club we'll be working on new games (along with EA) as well as other kinds of projects with different partners.

I can't talk about specific projects coming out of SFC just yet (alas, the robots won't let me), but as things develop I'll find a way to keep those of you who are interested informed about what we're doing (but not with a blog...I'll never have a blog). A major aspect of the projects I've worked on has always been the player community, that won't change.

-Will Wright
so your going to leave spore as an empty shell of what it could have been

I am really sorry.
[WWW]
DernGalaxyfist


Civilized Sporeon

Joined: 02/16/2009 13:35:32
Messages: 2459
Location:
The Temple of The Banana King!!!

Offline

A whole new side company of games?
Awesome!
Wait...YOUR LEAVING!
Will you still make games like the sims?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/08/2009 18:01:18


[WWW]
pizzaguy10


Civilized Sporeon

Joined: 09/21/2008 14:19:44
Messages: 1252
Location:
My house probably.

Offline

Secret Projects.........................
galxyofpower


Spacefaring Sporeling

Joined: 01/07/2009 21:45:07
Messages: 5590
Location:
Atlanta, Georgia

Offline

Hey Will. I'm sort of glad you're leaving EA. EA made Spore a little too catoony. Go Stupid Fun Club!



GLaDOS wrote:Please note that we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an 'unsatisfactory' mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck!


[WWW]
piePIEpie


Civilized Sporeon

Joined: 11/17/2008 18:30:28
Messages: 4734
Offline

DernGalaxyfist wrote:A whole new side company of games?
Awesome!
Wait...YOUR LEAVING!
Will you still make games like the sims?
that was my reaction

I am really sorry.
[WWW]
Ferrell


Civilized Sporeon

Joined: 10/16/2008 03:36:57
Messages: 1202
Offline

so are you saying your leaveing spore all togeather or just EA ?

DernGalaxyfist


Civilized Sporeon

Joined: 02/16/2009 13:35:32
Messages: 2459
Location:
The Temple of The Banana King!!!

Offline

Ferrell wrote:so are you saying your leaveing spore all togeather or just EA ?

I just Pm'd hem he might respond.
IM TALKING TO WILL WRIGHT
Oh my goodness!

[WWW]
OneBlackbird


Spacefaring Sporeling

Joined: 09/12/2008 21:10:04
Messages: 5617
Location:
Superposition.

Offline

Anyone who read the spotlight on Will Wright in the NY Times magazine a while ago would know that he likes to tinker with robots in his spare time. Really, I'm not surprised. Good luck.

Didzo wrote:There are few things Blackbird enjoys more than the sweet taste of children's tears. This delicious nectar trickles down through the sphincter he calls a soul, giving a shadow of life to the hollowness within. It is the aroma of the deaths of innocence that keeps him lucid in his fetid void of existence. The soft, mournful cry of children is a lullaby to Blackbird as he drifts off to a dreamless sleep. For Blackbird, he is Worse than Hitler.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Judhudson


Microbe

Joined: 09/16/2008 14:15:19
Messages: 29
Location:
Huntsville, Al

Offline

Best of luck, Will. While Maxis is in great hands with Lucy Bradshaw, it still won't be the same without you. Hopefully your work will continue to be amazing. Of course it will...You did create SimCity after all

-Judson Hudson
SimPrograms: http://www.simprograms.com/
SporePrograms: http://www.sporeprograms.com/

[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
MaxisCactus


Developer

Joined: 09/05/2008 20:28:29
Messages: 2826
Offline

We want to let all of you know that Maxis will be continuing to develop games with the same values that Will brought to the company.

We’re not going anywhere, and we’ll be moving forward developing games with a focus on the user driven experience, and sandbox style play.

Titles on the horizon include Spore Galactic Adventures, Spore Creature Keeper, Spore Hero and Spore Hero Arena.

Lucy Bradshaw, VP and General Manager, will continue to lead the Maxis studio forward in development.

We thank Will for all his contributions and look forward to seeing upcoming projects from the Stupid Fun Club.

-MaxisCactus

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/08/2009 18:26:11

[WWW]
DernGalaxyfist


Civilized Sporeon

Joined: 02/16/2009 13:35:32
Messages: 2459
Location:
The Temple of The Banana King!!!

Offline

Yeah.
Since will wright is gone can i take his place?

[WWW]
piePIEpie


Civilized Sporeon

Joined: 11/17/2008 18:30:28
Messages: 4734
Offline

MaxisCactus wrote:We want to let all of you know that Maxis will be continuing to develop games with the same values that Will brought to the company.

We’re not going anywhere, and we’ll be moving forward developing games with a focus on the user driven experience, and sandbox style play.

Titles on the horizon include Spore Galactic Adventures, Spore Creature Keeper, Spore Hero and Spore Hero Arena.

Lucy Bradshaw, VP and General Manager, will continue to lead the Maxis studio forward in development.

We thank Will for all his contributions and look forward to seeing upcoming projects from the Stupid Fun Club.

-MaxisCactus
creature keeper

I am really sorry.
[WWW]
galxyofpower


Spacefaring Sporeling

Joined: 01/07/2009 21:45:07
Messages: 5590
Location:
Atlanta, Georgia

Offline

DernGalaxyfist wrote:Yeah.
Since will wright is gone can i take his place?

I don't think it's gonna be that easy fist.



GLaDOS wrote:Please note that we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an 'unsatisfactory' mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck!


[WWW]
DragonSpout72


MouthBreather

Joined: 03/30/2009 17:32:18
Messages: 633
Location:
At my communications throne, inside my palace.

Offline

You know, alot of people were saying that you should do this, and that EA was holding you back.

So I hope you'll make "Science Spore". We all do.

We'll miss you, Will Wright.

-Pharaoh Ankhre



Transliteration: Shu merer Tefnut Raihu.

Translation: Shu and Tefnut forever!!!

[WWW]
 
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to:   
 
Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © ( EA Dev Build 2013-06-21 16:12:06 ) JForum Team