The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

# of Aliens in the Milky Way using the Drake Equation  XML
Forum Index » Science and Spore
Poll
How many intelligent races are out there? (leave out the communication part of the equation)
<100 18% [ 11 ]
100-1,000 2% [ 1 ]
1,000-5,000 10% [ 6 ]
5,000-10,000 3% [ 2 ]
10,000-50,000 13% [ 8 ]
50,000-100,000 2% [ 1 ]
100,000-500,000 2% [ 1 ]
500,000-1,000,000 12% [ 7 ]
>1,000,000 35% [ 21 ]
none 3% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 60
wvbobster

MouthBreather

There has been some speculation on the number of aliens out there in the Galaxy. There is an equation you can use to find a mathematical estimate. Its called the drake equation. It was used by SETI to determine the number of communicating races in a galaxy. You can run the equation without the communication option to figure out the number of intelligent races out there.

An explanation of the equation can be found here.

http://www.cyrstudio.com/short/images/Drake1000.jpg

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/16/2009 12:35:01

Beware, Snakes on a Coordinate Plane
If you support America, copy and paste this to your signature.
klawz

Civilized Sporeon

a better way of writing this would be:

"how many aliens do you think are out there, using the drake equation?"

[WWW]
ESPEE

Civilized Sporeon

Infinire, as the universe

bioelectricclam

Microbe

ESPEE wrote:Infinire, as the universe

Yes, but not every world can have life on it. Out of the 8 planets in our solar system, so far as we know only one has life.

So that means that there are infinite worlds with life on it, but this infinite is a little bit less than the infinite number of planets.
Ryuujin

Civilized Sporeon

#

Also, are we talking galactic or intergalactic scale in the poll?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/15/2009 18:37:45

Matthevv7

Multicellular

For thoes that are curious and going "What is Drake's equation?", here ya go:
N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
* N = The number of communicative civilizations
* R* = The rate of formation of suitable stars (stars such as our Sun)
* fp = The fraction of those stars with planets. (Current evidence indicates that planetary systems may be common for stars like the Sun.)
* ne = The number of Earth-like worlds per planetary system
* fl = The fraction of those Earth-like planets where life actually develops
* fi = The fraction of life sites where intelligence develops
* fc = The fraction of communicative planets (those on which electromagnetic communications technology develops)
* L = The "lifetime" of communicating civilizations

Sooooo... lemme do the math, with the estimated # of planets in the Milky way.... carry the one...

I'm rounding, but according to this its 10,000 races in the milky way.

Sincerely,
The Clockwork Professor (sweet nickname I know, grad students are awesome)

Check out my steampunk creations!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Matthevv7 Try my sporecast!
wvbobster

MouthBreather

It is in the galaxy. I edited the post to be more clear.

MinionJoe

Spacefaring Sporeling

Matthevv7 wrote:I'm rounding, but according to this its 10,000 races in the milky way.

In what time frame though? There could very easily be 10,000 intelligent races in the Milky Way but none of them existing concurrently. Ten thousand intelligent races, all coming about one right after the other...

Times MinionJoe Has Been Banned: 5 Times MinionJoe's Opinion Has Changed: 0
PenguinKid

Multicellular

MinionJoe wrote:
Matthevv7 wrote:I'm rounding, but according to this its 10,000 races in the milky way.

In what time frame though? There could very easily be 10,000 intelligent races in the Milky Way but none of them existing concurrently. Ten thousand intelligent races, all coming about one right after the other...

But that means that....there's at least two civilizations in the Milky Way(including humans), and at least one intelligent race(and it isn't humans)! What I'm saying is that if multiple intelligent races can't exist in one galaxy at the same time, then there's at least one of those outside of our star system. In other words, the human race generally isn't intelligent enough to be considered a civilization of intelligent beings. And here's what those aliens might look like.

Wow. It's even using a computer.

Save the adorable macaws!
Here's my profile.
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/PenguinKid
EchelonX1

Spacefaring Sporeling

I'm not sure, but those guys pointing guns at me don't look friendly.

PenguinKid wrote:
MinionJoe wrote:

But that means that....there's at least two civilizations in the Milky Way(including humans), and at least one intelligent race(and it isn't humans)! What I'm saying is that if multiple intelligent races can't exist in one galaxy at the same time, then there's at least one of those outside of our star system. In other words, the human race generally isn't intelligent enough to be considered a civilization of intelligent beings. And here's what those aliens might look like.

Wow. It's even using a computer.

I believe by intelligent, the term 'sentient' was implied.

Nice pic though

We will not bow. We will not break. Surrender is simply not an option. Aut vincere aut mors.

Voter

GalacticGod

I believe by sentient you morons mean Sapient.

wvbobster

MouthBreather

Voter wrote:I believe by sentient you morons mean Sapient.

Sapient means human like.

Many apes could loosely be considered sapient.

Sentient has many different meanings, but I used it to describe the undefined point of intelligence when a creature, Ill describe this in Spore terms, reaches the Tribal stage. There may be sentient, non-sapient creatures out there (really smart dolphins).

Jonasaur

Civilized Sporeon

I'm the monster under your Bed, in your closet, in your head

Actually, we cant really come up with exact numbers currently, so the Drake Equation should really be called the Drake Equation Theory

Sig: Warboss If you like my stuff, please comment and rate it! Death to the Fibea! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Jonasaur
EchelonX1

Spacefaring Sporeling

I'm not sure, but those guys pointing guns at me don't look friendly.

Jonasaur wrote:Actually, we cant really come up with exact numbers currently, so the Drake Equation should really be called the Drake Equation Theory

Well, in science, a theory is a proven statement or conclusion, though in layman's terms, yes you could call it a theory.

We will not bow. We will not break. Surrender is simply not an option. Aut vincere aut mors.

Jonasaur

Civilized Sporeon

I'm the monster under your Bed, in your closet, in your head

A theory is...wel, pretty much that. I still believe there is quite a few alien species in our vicinity (30 lightyear radius) just possibly not to the point where they can transmit radio or TV waves of somesort.

Sig: Warboss If you like my stuff, please comment and rate it! Death to the Fibea! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Jonasaur

Forum Index » Science and Spore
Go to: