The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Spore Creepy and Cute Pack:Spore Evolves with New Content,Gameplay and Tools (official announcement)  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Guineh

Multicellular

So, with the creepy and cute pack, we'll get:

* Cute
* Somewhat Creepy, in a cartoonish sort of way and,
* Nauseatingly sickeningly teeth-rottingly scratch-your-eyes-out Cute.

Wonderful.

The upcoming expansion pack seems a bit .. umm... lacking. Sure, now I'll be able to create new missions:

Go and planet-bust so-and-so planet, they're getting on our nerves.
Find 3 golden llama statues, a chalice of gold, and a crusted up old petrified grapefruit.
Wipe Tribe XXX off the map.
XXX Citizens are unhappy, happy ray them.

Meh.

And now, instead of the hologram, I can beam my guy down. I hope the beamed-down character can do something more than shuffle around the planets surface and get eaten by wild animals. or, beam yourself down to a planet without an atmosphere and watch your creature's head pop like an oversized zit. Cute.

What would have been neat, in terms of a parts pack or outfitter pack would have been a freebie Halloween outfitter pack.

"We come in peace! Shoot to Kill"
3rdType

Multicellular

ITT: Fight fight internet fight.

Woosh.
[Email] [WWW] [MSN]
ThrowerOfStones

Multicellular

I think a large problem with judging the emergent gameplay or lack thereof in Spore is so much is unseen. When one of my allies begins acting differently than one normally does and performs an action that results in a unique interaction with another species, I assume that something behind the scenes special happened, and thus it is emergent gameplay. You appear to be assuming such is not the result of individuality but preprogrammed variety. The only one who can really answer our quandry would be a programmer of Spore itself.

111uminate

Multicellular

Don't take this as an insult, but an observation. RocketGirl, I think the energy you expend here on these forums regarding your opinions and feelings toward the game would garner you satisfaction much quicker if you had went out and made the game you visualize yourself. Haha. Just an observation.

Anyway, onto the topic. The pack has more than I thought it would. I was expecting to be stiffed, but it seems it'll be loaded quite nicely. I was literally only expecting parts, but they threw some other stuff in. Bodies, animations, etc. Not bad. The Space Phase expansion sounds simple as it's described here, but if they put a lot of work into it and make it worthwhile I won't complain.

Edit: And the mission creator is a good idea as well. Something new that pertains to the community in terms of sharing. I still say this game's replayability comes from the community and creation aspect. Anyone expecting to be able to play this game and play it and play it based on it's content is clinically insane.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 20:11:46

Click the image for my profile!

www.faxonwashington.org - Write a letter to the President he'll never forget.
[MSN]
superguy1

Civilized Sporeon

MinionJoe wrote:
hiki2008 wrote:No screens or video availible yet; im searching but nothing.

Found a shot of the C&C box:

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/12750/12750.jpg

ooh thats a problem i just realized i just know im going to get C&C ( cute and creepy...ort is it creepy an cute?)
and cc (creature creator) all messed up oh well that part pack actually dosnt look that bad

Im serious they will (Sig pic by caazper)
http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/superguy1 heres my sporepage i will return all comments
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

ThrowerOfStones wrote:I think a large problem with judging the emergent gameplay or lack thereof in Spore is so much is unseen.

Yes...that IS the problem.

Hence why I am quite loudly demanding better, more in-depth gameplay, especially diplomatic tools from Tribal stage onwards. The ability to converse with Spores and have their emergent personalities shine through during the course of those conversations would open this game up A LOT.

When one of my allies begins acting differently than one normally does and performs an action that results in a unique interaction with another species, I assume that something behind the scenes special happened, and thus it is emergent gameplay.

Only, it isn't. At least, not necessarily. We can't know unless we know why that decision was made, and we can't know THAT until we have better diplomatic controls, better conversation options.

You appear to be assuming such is not the result of individuality but preprogrammed variety. The only one who can really answer our quandry would be a programmer of Spore itself.

Except that the evidence is right in the manual.

If you read what it says, as you advance from stage to stage, traits are added to your creatures based on your behavior. But the actions you can take to determine which traits are chosen are strictly limited AND they are one-and-only-one options.
That is to say, if you were 49% peaceful and 51% warlike, in the next stage, you'll get the Warlike trait, and the 49% peaceful...? Discarded. Forgotten. Irrelevant.

Well, what the hell is THAT? In TheSims--the first one AND the second one--you assign your Sims trait LEVELS, not this 1-or-0 Boolean crap! And their personalities end up quite unique because of it.
A creature which is Warlike and Peaceful at roughly equal levels should be a military diplomat. A creature which is Warlike and Religious should be a crusader. A creature which is Religious and Peaceful should be some sort of pious missionary and so on and so on, through nearly infinite permutations.
But according to the manual, that's not how it is, that's not how it works.

And it seems fairly obvious to me when playing the game; precious few creatures seem to have a personality that goes beyond grumpy militarists, Spode worshippers, traders, and scientists...and those personalities rarely seem to dictate their actions beyond occasionally going to war with you or trading with you.
And that's largely because of limited diplomatic gameplay options.

Like I keep saying.

The problem is that Spore has become a coloring book instead of a chemistry set

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

111uminate wrote:Don't take this as an insult, but an observation. RocketGirl, I think the energy you expend here on these forums regarding your opinions and feelings toward the game would garner you satisfaction much quicker if you had went out and made the game you visualize yourself. Haha. Just an observation.

I'm an artist, not a programmer. I actually CAN'T make this game myself; I've tried programming and I'm like an epileptic with a scalpel trying to extract a specific vein from the heart of an infant. Just sayin'.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
Visko

Multicellular

I'm glad to hear about a gameplay expansion in the works though, and focusing on making the space stage less boring! Will I still be playing by then? Maybe.. Then again I will be laid off for around a month during that time so anything's possible to keep me from death-by-boredom.

[MSN]
111uminate

Multicellular

RocketGirl wrote:
111uminate wrote:Don't take this as an insult, but an observation. RocketGirl, I think the energy you expend here on these forums regarding your opinions and feelings toward the game would garner you satisfaction much quicker if you had went out and made the game you visualize yourself. Haha. Just an observation.

I'm an artist, not a programmer. I actually CAN'T make this game myself; I've tried programming and I'm like an epileptic with a scalpel trying to extract a specific vein from the heart of an infant. Just sayin'.

Likewise. Code scares the hell out of me. Pretty much all Greek chicken scratch from Mars to me. Anyway, for being an artist where's your love for the creators in the game? Or is it like a "Been there, done that" type of thing? I admit, they're highly limited for a lot of what I would like to illustrate, but I guess it's a challenge in it's own way. It's interesting for me right now at least, but you don't seem to be of the "creator ilk" like some are here. Just sayin'.

[MSN]
Pugnap00

MouthBreather

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/13/2008 20:30:21

Sweeeet!

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pugnap00
Help my Dragons Grow!!
Guineh

Multicellular

RocketGirl wrote:Come to think of it, neither will these new parts; there's nothing in here about adding abilities, or giving certain part types abilities that only other part types had until now (like giving mouths the Spit ability). And since function most emphatically does NOT follow form in Cute Spore...

I dunno, the paint scripts may be worth it, to me.

I think some of the existing mouths do have a spit ability, The pig-like ones I believe.

Actually, I'm sold on this parts pack. I want to make something nauseatingly cute that has a deadly bite and spit ability, and likewise something that looks creepy, but would rather be your BFF than eat you. How fun

"We come in peace! Shoot to Kill"
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

111uminate wrote:Anyway, for being an artist where's your love for the creators in the game? Or is it like a "Been there, done that" type of thing?

The latter, for two reasons:

First, I made nearly 500 creatures with the CC when new. Been there, done that.
Second, 3D Studio MAX is SOOOOO much less limiting than Spore. Maybe more complicated and harder to use, but I don't find myself constrained by Spore's limitations and I've got the Mad Annimayshun Skillz, yo.

It's interesting for me right now at least, but you don't seem to be of the "creator ilk" like some are here. Just sayin'.

Well, I could post some of my non-Spore creations. Like...

Just one of many.

111uminate

Multicellular

Wow. Not bad. Definitely better than anything I've done in 3DSMax. I've been tinkering around with Bryce and zBrush for years, which are far less complex than 3DSMax. Nice work.

[MSN]
ausdreamer

Multicellular

I only know this as fact:

Kids love this game- they like creatures and playing them. I consider Spore primarily a kids game- I cannot make it the adult game I want it or force it to be - I have to accept this and add expansions if I want more playablity to my level of enjoyment.

The game is the game and if they can improve it with expansions then I will be happy.

You will not get achievements if you use the cheat console in that game.
To earn achievements you need to start a new game and not use the cheat console.
Parvati

Civilized Sporeon

Wanted to show of what I was working on earlier.
Not finished and had to move the camera to get rid of the nudity.

Dirty render, low AO, no subsurfing or SSS .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 20:41:55

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: