The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Stunned with EA's Customer Support  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
PixelatedChic

Microbe

You know, I really shouldn't be suprised by the lack of service and by the money hungry forces driving this campaign. Seriously...

Now, I had already sent this response to them after they gave me my first answer providing me a bunch of cut and paste useless FAQ's, and before I found the answer about where to find the install files on my harddrive.... BUT yet, they still want to play stupid and force ppl into purchasing that Extended Download Warranty.

Response (EARepPaolo)
09/13/2008 08:21 PM

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

We apologize for inconvenience this may cause but, you will not be able to back up your download version game with CD/DVD. However, you will still be able to re-download your purchased game from EA download manager.

Sincerely,

EARep Paolo
Player Relations
Electronic Arts.
Customer
09/11/2008 01:02 PM

Hello again,

You now I really have to ask, did you even read this question at all? Because the FAQS that you gave me a rather insulting since I can find the answers to those questions myself by viewing your FAQ database, and not only that they absolutely do not have anything to do with what I orginally asked.

AS A PC USER.I purchased the download version of Spore and had to use your Download Manager to install. I would like to know why I am paying to RENT this game? Why was I not provided a copy that I could save to disk? I'm not impressed that I have to pay the Extended Download warranty, you state it's optional but it's not. I should have the choice if I would like to buy that or not, by EA withholding the download that can be saved to disk you are forcing customers to pay that extended download warranty. I don't want the Mac version of the download I would like the PC version. Again I ask how this can be resolved?

I guess I am posting this because the way I look at it is, they can't have it both ways. Those of use that have purchased the download version should right away have the ability to save this download on our hard drives, or on disk. We shouldn't be forced to look around and search on our hard drives for the file. And a simple request asking them where that file is located most certainly shouldn't get a response like this. IF the file can't be "backed up" as they say, then they should be making that file so it's unlimited download FOREVER. Not forcing their buyers into purchasing the Extended Download warranty of 2 yrs. It's pure BS...

I really do enjoy this game...but it's the crap like this that makes me NOT want to recommend this game to any one. In fact...I haven't and most likely still will not.

Now I don't even know if those same DRM restrictions are on the download versions...but gah...it just keeps going in circles I tell ya

With that all being said, I did find this rather amusing this morning
http://userfriendly.org

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/14/2008 13:41:22

tyger42

Multicellular

Did they change something since launch day when I bought the DL version? Because when I bought it, the extended download warranty was included at no extra charge....
bonobotheory

Multicellular

EA's customer service has always sucked. I'm not surprised.
PixelatedChic

Microbe

Well..I bought it the day they released Spore and EA wanted to charge me $6.95 for the extended download of 2 years "optional"
The original is 6 months.
Perhaps it varies depending on Country..I'm in Canada
BUT that still shouldn't make a difference, they shouldn't be charging that at all or rather eluding that it is an "optional purchase". If they are telling customers that they can't back it up on disk and have to continue using the Download Manager then it should unlimited indefinitely

PixelatedChic

Microbe

Drish

Multicellular

Yeah, Im a sucker that payed six extra dollars so I can download the game for 2 years rather than only SIX MONTHS. What a joke, and I'm a joke for paying it.
PixelatedChic

Microbe

EA didn't really didn't give an option for the "optional" purchase
It was deliberate misinformation on their behalf

At any rate, were you able to locate the file on your harddrive, you'll also need to log back into your account and review your purchase history grab the unlock code there and write it down

lol..actually that's pretty funny in itself as well. With your purchase they provide the unlock key in the receipt, but the Download Manager doesn't require it to be manually entered when installing, it does it for you. So if they don't want you installing manually on your own why bother giving the key then?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/14/2008 14:56:00

Kaiysith

Microbe

If you want to back it up, the installation files are located by default in this location.

C:\ProgramData\Electronic Arts\EADM\cache\{ 2263211535 }\spore_dd

Don't forget to copy your unlock code into a text document and keep it with the backup. And yes, EA customer support is terrible.
Spiral42

Microbe

You know, I really shouldn't be suprised by the lack of service and by the money hungry forces driving this campaign. Seriously...

Haha... when I read "Stunned by EA's Customer Support" I thought that for once, someone was actually impressed by it! Obviously I'm a little more jaded...
Freyar

MouthBreather

The Chelkan Empire is less than pleased with the method the vendor has provided for backups. The charge for the "EDS" is understandable if, and only if, the software can be stored and safeguarded on a planetside center, however as it cannot, these limitations are unacceptable to The Empire, and thus have caused us to re-evaluate future software licensing through the vendor's digital medium.

Prometheus09

Civilized Sporeon

lol

Galactic Adventures... looks like it's going to be another non-tanned summer!
Prometheus09's Profile
[WWW]
Acenoid

Microbe

Do you have in your country some consumer protection institutions? I suggest forwarding your cases to those institutions. If they receive enough complaints they will use their powers (lawsuits, negotiations, arrangements, compensations) with the offending company/ies ...

Guess the rules vary from country to country but i think that this is the only kind of "pressure" that you can put on them if you already bought and dont want to return the game // cannot return the game.

Probably higlighting the problems in amazon comments or forums will have less impact.

I did a 15 sec google search and found this for canada, no idea if that is the right institution for you: http://www.consumer.ca/1625

Thanks for reading!
Freyar

MouthBreather

The governing body that controls The Chelkan Empire, as well as the vendor for our legal region is the "Better Business Buero". However The Empire has had no luck utilizing the "BBB".

Tropod

Microbe

pixelatedchic wrote:

If I remember correctly, when I went to buy and download the Creature Creator, that the so-called Optional 6mth thing was ALREADY selected. And so I had to actually de-select it.

Now this may seem trivial, and obviously at that point the purchase was not final; but at its most basic level, what you're doing here is a legal transaction that has contractual obligations. And so while it is upto you to be mindful of what you're entering into, by the same token it could (potentially) be seen to be illegal what they're doing.
By automatically having the optional extended 6mth selected, it is akin (not the same though really) to selling a unsolicited supply of a product, which is actually against the law (least in Australia it is, by the Trade Practices Act). Though this is looking at it at its most extreme, given the nature/type of the transaction.

All it takes for evil to succeed, is for people to sit down and do nothing.
Species001

Microbe

kaiysith wrote:If you want to back it up, the installation files are located by default in this location.

C:\ProgramData\Electronic Arts\EADM\cache\{ 2263211535 }\spore_dd

Don't forget to copy your unlock code into a text document and keep it with the backup. And yes, EA customer support is terrible.

It is very possible that the customer support people have no idea this can be done. Hell maybe EA doesn't even know this can be done and if they did they would probably correct it. No point in trying to cheat people into buying the extra download time if they can just copy the game to a disk.

Of all the complaints about EA I think this is one of the really legitimate ones. It’s just not a very customer friendly concept no matter how you look at it. It was free to download for the life before and I think they changed it when they hit a slow spell to try to bring in more cash. Just copy it to a disk, be happy and let them think they own your world.

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: