The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

Political Discourse™ Thread  XML
Forum Index » Science and Spore
Poll
Disclaimer: topic counts as political science, therefore valid.
Okay. 64% [ 63 ]
I'm a whiny baby. 36% [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 99
Runilith

Multicellular

please someone respond

my entire existence is built around arguing about politics on message boards for children

DarkLove979

Civilized Sporeon

I think teachers need to be armed. Or at least, schools need a security department. Tbh, I’m not sure how they don’t already. Israel completely arms their teachers and has only had 2 successful school shootings.
DarkMagickan

GalacticGod

Clearly, this debate calls for memes.

On the one hand...

But on the other hand...

Also...

So the solution is regulating who is qualified to own a gun. People with a history of mental problems should undergo more stringent tests, for example. Not banning semiautomatic rifles.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/22/2018 21:26:59

Mavor

Civilized Sporeon

Look down. You are flying over me right now.

Runilith wrote:please someone respond

my entire existence is built around arguing about politics on message boards for children

Ok, but you probably are not going to like it.

I blame the teachers and other students for the shooting. It was clearly stated that this young man was so ostracized that he wasn't even allowed at the freak table for lunch. That he was bulled nearly every day. And if you have heard some of the students that have talked to the media, they sound like Stepford students. Articulate, well spoken and with a very coherent set of speaking points just after a shooting were they have had 17 friends killed. I can only imagine what dealing with these people would be like everyday if they didn't like you. If one of the teachers had stepped in when he was being bullied, If even one of these pretentious students had tried to be his friend, would the outcome have been the same? I'm sure that since he was taken alive, that his reasons for this shooting will become clear. I would not be surprised at all if he at least started by targeting a specific group within the school. The real question will be if the general public is ever made aware of his motives since they might not align with the political agenda that is pushed every time an event like this happens.
I'm sure that this will not be a popular stance to take since it is the only one that might have saved these students. It is so much easier to blame guns or mental illness or something else that we realistically have no real control over. Something that we can wail and moan over, rather than look at our own short comings and faults. The fact that if we had only shown a little kindness and understanding, instead of hate and intolerance, those students might still be numbered among the living.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/22/2018 23:05:20

DarkMagickan

GalacticGod

I partly agree, hence the three stars.

You say a political agenda is pushed every time there is a mass shooting? Well, what do you expect, genius? Guns are made for killing, nothing else. Used properly, they are used to end a life. It's not like we're talking about cars, knives, or any of the other things that kill people every year. Guns serve only one purpose. Whether your target is a deer, a criminal, or your fellow students, GUNS ARE WEAPONS, NOTHING MORE.

Now, before you start parroting the NRA's interpretation of the Second Amendment to me, the whole purpose of it was to form MILITIAS, not for every drunken backwoods redneck to have a machine gun. Regulating firearms is NOT an attack on your Gawd-given right to kill a deer with an Uzi.

End of rant.

I blame the teachers and other students for the shooting.
Darn right.
It was clearly stated that this young man was so ostracized that he wasn't even allowed at the freak table for lunch. That he was bulled nearly every day.
Makes my blood boil.
I can only imagine what dealing with these people would be like everyday if they didn't like you.
I don't have to.

DankMemes420

Microbe

Mavor

Civilized Sporeon

Actually I have no want to go on a NRA rant.

I was only pointing out that when an event like this occurs, there are certain individuals that come forward and loudly proclaim that guns are the problem and that they should be restricted or banned. Knowing all to well that nothing they say or do will make the slightest bit of difference. It is political grandstanding for politics sake, and nothing else. Confiscating all 300 million guns in the US is impractical to say the least. And that is assuming you would even come close to getting the necessary votes to ratify an amendment to the Constitution to do so. Instead their politically driven crocodile tears only serve to drive a wedge into the issue that prevents true solutions from even being considered if you are a member of the opposite party.

BTW Machine gun sales have been illegal since 1986. And for those that do legally own one, the registration fee is anywhere from $15,000 to $50,000 per YEAR depending were you live. Not to mention the more than standard background check to own automatic firearms. It is currently $27,489.33/yr. in my state for both the federal and state permits. And the state branch of the FBI interviews you once a year before renewing that license.

Also, specifically:On June 26, 2008, in District of Columbia v. Heller (PDF), the United States Supreme Court issued its first decision since 1939 interpreting the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. The Court ruled that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution confers an individual right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes such as self-defense.
Nothing is mentioned about militias

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 02/23/2018 01:24:43

Midzo

Multicellular

Mavor wrote:That he was bulled nearly every day. And if you have heard some of the students that have talked to the media, they sound like Stepford students. Articulate, well spoken and with a very coherent set of speaking points just after a shooting were they have had 17 friends killed.
I find it concerning that the kids managed to give out extremely articulate well-structured speech and how much the government needs to change its attitude (which I may disagree with, but more power to them) but barely said any word on who the shooter was and why he was driven to slaughter. All we know is that he went hunting, was obsessed with knifes and guns on Instagram, and dealt with much emotional turmoil. It's sad that barely anyone actually knew the kid as an individual with ambitions and a personality (maybe someone did, but the news doesn't seem to be too concerned with the actual person behind the shooting).
Imagine if the kid had an active community supporting him and helping him get rid of his unhealthy behavior

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/23/2018 03:04:38

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi...

Who wants their damn ego fed so much?
Not related in any way to Didzo.
I AM SAPIENT
Runilith

Multicellular

Interesting situation. Either the kids refuse to acknowledge the part they potentially played in creating a school shooter or their lack of age and experience is being exploited for sympathy points in order to promote an illiberal agenda. I don't think it's the first one, because bullying is usually perpetrated by a small group individuals. There's no way that every single person at that school was responsible for the social ostracization of the killer. Most of them probably didn't even know he existed.

But there's no way it could be the second one either, because CNN has a flawless track record of honesty and integrity. When they say that the town hall meeting wasn't scripted, then that's the end of that I think.

Mavor

Civilized Sporeon

OH NO, Trump has put tariffs on imported steel and Aluminium! We are all going to die!!!
Aluminium is expected to go from 14.5 cents a pound to 19 cents a pound. Meaning that a roll of foil will rise nearly 4.5 cents more. And steel, currently selling for $770 dollars a ton, is expected to JUMP up to $827 a ton. Meaning your new car cost will go up almost $60 dollars. And a new refrigerator will go up nearly $2 dollars each.This can only lead to the implosion of the US economy and the death of all the people in the United States. Except maybe the 35,000 employees of steel mills and Aluminium producers that are hire for $20 an hour jobs. But who cares about them? Trump is a mad man that has to be impeached before he does anything more to this country to provide jobs.

Now I'm not one to panic, but I'm really starting to worry about things, just like CNN has told me to do.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/04/2018 13:04:01

Sharples65

GalacticGod

Mavor wrote:OH NO, Trump has put tariffs on imported steel and Aluminium! We are all going to die!!!
Aluminium is expected to go from 14.5 cents a pound to 19 cents a pound. Meaning that a roll of foil will rise nearly 4.5 cents more. And steel, currently selling for $770 dollars a ton, is expected to JUMP up to $827 a ton. Meaning your new car cost will go up almost $60 dollars. And a new refrigerator will go up nearly $2 dollars each.This can only lead to the implosion of the US economy and the death of all the people in the United States. Except maybe the 35,000 employees of steel mills and Aluminium producers that are hire for $20 an hour jobs. But who cares about them? Trump is a mad man that has to be impeached before he does anything more to this country to provide jobs.

Now I'm not one to panic, but I'm really starting to worry about things, just like CNN has told me to do.

[WWW]
DarkMagickan

GalacticGod

On the Tariff front, I heard that a Democratic senator was actually heard to under something positive about the man. What next? The lion laying down with the lamb?

Also:
Mavor, paraphrased, wrote:You libbies want to take all our guns!!!1!!!
No, we don't. But can you tell me why you need a semi-automatic rifle to go hunting, or to defend your home? Honestly? And what's the deal with Mr. Trump being quoted as saying "Take the guns and go through due process later" if it's us who want your guns? Yes, I know that's a bit out of context, and he was talking about people who throw up red flags. But still. Who's the one not respecting the Second Amendment?

Mavor

Civilized Sporeon

DarkMagickan, paraphrased, wrote:We don't want to take your guns. But we se no reason you should have them, so they should be taken away.

I love that the opposition to Trump is unable to see when they are being trolled. So fixated on their righteous views, that when someone agrees with them, they can't see it for what it is.

Trump: I'll sign whatever immigration bill you bring me.
Shummer (in liberal Nirvana) Well, then I want no borders, all illegals made citizens, an expansion of every immigration policy possible, a program to give them all public funds and benefits, and the tearing down of any of the wall already built. Because we need a permanent underclass (slaves) to prey upon.
Pelosi: And I think we need to mow the lawn along the border.(No, really, she said this.)
Trump: No. But thank you for making your political view clear to the American public.

Trump: I think we should just take away guns without due process.
Pelosi (wreathing in liberal ecstasy) Yes, YES, YES!!!! Oh Mr president, you big strapping hunk of beefcake, you are so right. And then maybe we can do more. Because just taking some guns away without due process isn't enough. Let's expand background checks, hike the minimum age for buying from 18 to 21, overturn the supreme court rulings, Ban any semi automatic weapon, enact ammo restrictions (one bullet should be enough*), more money for registration of guns, money for a gun buy back program, money for research to study the evil of guns, more money to mental health studies, Ignore hand guns (the weapons that do 97% of the killing), and take steps against this society, that we feel glorifies the gun culture (no specific actions are stated that they want to take on society), and throw more money at the problem. (was it good for you, Donny?)
Trump: No. But thank you for making your political view clear to the American public.

* I know this sounds like hyperbole, but a number of the talking heads have stated that the second amendment only refers specifically to muskets and was not meant to cover any multi shot weapons.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/05/2018 00:04:38

Midzo

Multicellular

Mavor wrote:I love that the opposition to Trump is unable to see when they are being trolled.

the left can't meme

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi...

Who wants their damn ego fed so much?
Not related in any way to Didzo.
I AM SAPIENT
DarkLove979

Civilized Sporeon

Forum Index » Science and Spore
Go to: