The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
New Sporepedia Screensaver  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
impiaaa

Microbe

Note: This thread is only for Mac users!

Hello, I'm new to the forums, but I come with great news!

Using the recently released Sporepedia API (http://www.spore.com/comm/developer), I have created a screensaver that shuffles through creations from the Sporepedia. Here are the instructions:

1. Download the screensaver. (here)

2. Install the screensaver. Simply drag and drop the .qtz file into either /Library/Screen Savers (to install for all users) or your user folder/Library/Screen Savers (to install only for you)

3. Customize! Open the System Prefs (/Applications/System Preferences), select Desktop & Screen Saver, select Screen Saver, and select Sporepedia Screensaver. By default, it shows the 50 most popular new creations, each for 5 seconds. If you wish to change this, click the Options button. The content is grabbed from the URL you give it. See http://www.spore.com/comm/developer to find the URL that's right for you. You can also change the time each creation takes in this dialog.

While the screensaver is running, you can press C or A on your keyboard to see the creation or the creation's author (respectively).

Screen shot

Troubleshooting

Do no creation pictures show, or do they show up late?
It is probably because the internet is not fast enough for the screensaver. Stop any downloads or change the speed of the screensaver.

Does nothing show up?
You might have a faulty URL. Make sure you follow the directions at http://www.spore.com/comm/developer .

The reason I made this is because I disliked the look of the original screensaver (here) and I had the tools readily available.

Enjoy, and happy holidays!

Edit: More discussion and info here: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/30/17689.page#367591

Update 2/26/09: Updated for contest submission. Now released under GPL.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/27/2009 05:16:03

The boatcake is coming for you…
[WWW]
MaxisPuzzle

Developer

Thanks for sharing, impiaaa. I'll check it out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/29/2008 19:05:02

ESPEE

Civilized Sporeon

Mac is primitive, Windows is modern.

MaxisPuzzle

Developer

Note: Please keep this thread relevant to the original topic. There are many other places on the Internet where you can lob Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux vs. Solaris insults at other people.
ESPEE

Civilized Sporeon

MaxisPuzzle wrote:Note: Please keep this thread relevant to the original topic. There are many other places on the Internet where you can lob Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux vs. Solaris insults at other people.

You should post this in other topics too.

impiaaa

Microbe

Also, epsee whatever, is there any such thing as a Spore screensaver for windoze? Especially any that look this cool.

[WWW]
dragoonreas

Microbe

You've done a good job on this impiaaa, well done.

I was just messing around with the way the user enters the feed location to try and make it a bit simpler, and while testing some of the sporepedia creation URLs I discovered that there's more valid types than what's listed on the developer's corner page (which are TOP_RATED, TOP_RATED_NEW, MAXIS_MADE, MOST_RECENT). The extra ones I found are FEATURED, OLDEST, and RANDOM. I'm assuming there's also one for creepy and cute, but I haven't been able find it.

Also, MOST_RECENT doesn't seem to work for me, but NEWEST does for some reason.

ESPEE

Civilized Sporeon

impiaaa wrote:Also, epsee whatever, is there any such thing as a Spore screensaver for windoze? Especially any that look this cool.

I doubt

masscolder

Civilized Sporeon

Oh my downloading def! Thanks for making it!

Sig by Genji, thanks!

[WWW]
Freggi36

Microbe

Thanks so much impiaaa, for the sharing. Is a fantastic theme and I have it downloading..
[WWW]
Bugraptor

Microbe

I totally DISAGREE, ESPEE!

Mac is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

Sorry if this causes a fight of words between which computer system is better, which I have no intent to do whatsoever!

Thank you!

~Bugraptor

Given enough coffee, I can rule the world!
If tea started the revolution, than coffee will start World War III!
You know you have been Sporing too long when your dog grows extra legs from the DNA points you gained from killing the tall man next to you whom you thought was an epic!
Check out my idea for an expansion pack!
http://forum.spore.com/jforum/jforum.page?module=posts&action=edit&post_id=544475&start=0
[WWW]
MaxisCactus

Developer

Impiaaa, Congratulations on receiving an honorable mention award in the API contest!

We've showcased your app submission here: http://www.spore.com/comm/developer/gallery

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/28/2009 23:19:32

[WWW]
Grathnar

Microbe

I have enjoyed this screensaver immensely for several months now, but today, it started freezing on my when my MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.7) went to sleep! I would wake it, and it would just have the Spore pattern background, and it wouldn't go away. Hard shutdown was necessary! I hate the delete the screensaver. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks!

Jamie
impiaaa

Microbe

This sounds like a problem with the OS X screen saver engine, which I cannot fix. If it was just a blank background with no text, you should probably check your Internet connection. Other than that, I'd reccomend keeping the 'saver because it was probably a one time issue.

[WWW]
Vilageidiotx

Spacefaring Sporeling

Cool idea. Can't use it though, due to being a PC.

Vilageidiotx is a they!

[WWW] aim icon [ICQ]

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: