The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
We Found Who to Tar and Feather!  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
ZsoSahaal

Multicellular

This quote kills me inside.

Chris Hecker wrote:
Chris Trottier and I founded the "cute team" really early on, mostly as a joke and reaction against Will and art director Ocean Quigley, who we called the "science team" to tease them. They would show these prototypes that looked exactly like looking at a petri dish through a microscope, and some of us would look at it and say, "yuck". The final game we shipped split it right down the middle so the creative tension there turned out to be healthy; you can look at the Sporepedia and see really gross monsters, and silly cute unicorns, and everything in-between.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/spore/907887p3.html

It was all a joke to them at first, teasing Will and the others who knew what the spore they were doing. Spore you, Hecker.

The story so far:
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people mad and been widely regarded as a bad idea.

[WWW]
jamal10

Microbe

ZsoSahaal wrote:This quote kills me inside.

Chris Hecker wrote:
Chris Trottier and I founded the "cute team" really early on, mostly as a joke and reaction against Will and art director Ocean Quigley, who we called the "science team" to tease them. They would show these prototypes that looked exactly like looking at a petri dish through a microscope, and some of us would look at it and say, "yuck". The final game we shipped split it right down the middle so the creative tension there turned out to be healthy; you can look at the Sporepedia and see really gross monsters, and silly cute unicorns, and everything in-between.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/spore/907887p3.html

It was all a joke to them at first, teasing Will and the others who knew what the spore they were doing. Spore you, Hecker.

Agreed. SPORE you Hecker, you SPORE up the game with your SPORE ideas.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/14/2008 03:10:51

"The chart above shows why you should not take input from Chris Hecker."
SporeMasterShardsOfBlue

MouthBreather

jamal10 wrote:
ZsoSahaal wrote:It was all a joke to them at first, teasing Will and the others who knew what the spore they were doing. Spore you, Hecker.

Agreed. SPORE you Hecker, you SPORE up the game with your SPORE ideas.

This is an interesting discussion thread, but please don't turn it into a personal attack on Hecker (despite the "tar and feather" title), or it will need to be closed. Thanks!

~Shards

Bobba lobba squig!
igbee

Microbe

Lets take a look at this Chris for a second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hecker

http://chrishecker.com/Homepage

http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/11595/Chris_Hecker_Doesnt_Really_Hate_The_Wii.html

A question for Maxis.

How did this loser get this job to begin with? Then, after it was clear he was a loser.
HOW DID HE KEEP HIS JOB?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/14/2008 03:20:26

Finnical

Multicellular

SporeMasterShardsOfBlue wrote:
This is an interesting discussion thread, but please don't turn it into a personal attack on Hecker (despite the "tar and feather" title), or it will need to be closed. Thanks!

~Shards

Indeed. This is not about attacking Hecker, this is about getting Spore back on track to what it should be.

igbee wrote:How did this loser get this job to begin with? Then, after it was clear he was a loser.
HOW DID HE KEEP HIS JOB?

SLAP
What did I just say?

"I like that that happened. I'm gonna do that again." -Space Ghost
superserial

Multicellular

ZsoSahaal wrote:This is gaining momentum.

Someone already dedicated a creature to him...

PlasteredDragon wrote:Cute Hecker

The Cute Hecker is a curious creature who's sole purpose seems to be ruining everyone's good time. Its head is oversized to accomodate an inordinately large mouth, but appears to contain no brain at all. The ears are vestigal--Cute Hecker doesn't listen.

and I myself have coined the term Hecker, which refers to any creation that is overly cute or cartoony. (I guess I coined it, I haven't seen anyone else using it in this way)

I'm going to HALP you.

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=sast-500148015974

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/14/2008 03:48:15

Arriana

Microbe

I love that Steve Grand was quoted and had a say! I'm an avid Creatures player and have many times thought of the potential that could come forth if Steve Grand and Will Wright were to team up.

For those of you who've never played Creatures, it'd be a Sci-Spore dream come almost true.
Assuming the science-y best of both worlds came through, you'd get DNA, organs, brains, evolution, mutations, chemicals and reactions from the Creatures side and incredible possibilities concerning interface and specie, graphics, ability to interact with gravity, arm/foot length, things that would have the creatures truly come to life and be realistic.

I highly doubt people would be turned away - I myself have been playing Creatures for ten years now, and I know others who've been playing far longer than I have and still enjoy it.
aim icon
ZeekSlider

Civilized Sporeon

I wonder if everyone would have the same opinion if it was Cliffy B. instead of Chris Hecker.

ZeekSlider's Spore Blog - Expanded creation descriptions and exclusive content not shared on Spore.com

Number of Spore Re-Installs: 8
Most Recent Re-Install: 16/05/2011
Reason for Re-Install: Constaint crashing due to lack of use?? Possibly...
Visko

Multicellular

igbee wrote:Lets take a look at this Chris for a second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hecker

http://chrishecker.com/Homepage

http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/11595/Chris_Hecker_Doesnt_Really_Hate_The_Wii.html

A question for Maxis.

How did this loser get this job to begin with? Then, after it was clear he was a loser.
HOW DID HE KEEP HIS JOB?

No f-ing kidding, I'm sure most 10 year olds would probably keep the cooler looking game. Hell I know my two nephews would have found the game more interesting. Who IS this moron trying to appeal to other than his SPORE?

[MSN]
Finnical

Multicellular

ZeekSlider wrote:I wonder if everyone would have the same opinion if it was Cliffy B. instead of Chris Hecker.
I'd be more shock than anger if it were him. That'd just be out of character.

Arriana wrote:I love that Steve Grand was quoted and had a say! I'm an avid Creatures player and have many times thought of the potential that could come forth if Steve Grand and Will Wright were to team up.

For those of you who've never played Creatures, it'd be a Sci-Spore dream come almost true.
Assuming the science-y best of both worlds came through, you'd get DNA, organs, brains, evolution, mutations, chemicals and reactions from the Creatures side and incredible possibilities concerning interface and specie, graphics, ability to interact with gravity, arm/foot length, things that would have the creatures truly come to life and be realistic.

I highly doubt people would be turned away - I myself have been playing Creatures for ten years now, and I know others who've been playing far longer than I have and still enjoy it.
Creatures is just a little too much for me, hehe. I can't deny I enjoyed that game tremendously, but I always felt like I wasn't getting to most out of it.

SoupLLJK

Microbe

Will's over there giving NASA presentations and this other guy is sitting here turning it into Britney Spears: The Game. No wonder...
BlueLiquidPlus

Multicellular

~Shards

Like I said...

Incoming Transmission from the Locked Thread Empire

[MSN] [ICQ]
Finnical

Multicellular

SoupLLJK wrote:Will's over there giving NASA presentations and this other guy is sitting here turning it into Britney Spears: The Game. No wonder...
Supposedly the released game was a compromise. I really don't want to see what the cute proposal was.

BlueLiquidPlus wrote:Like I said...

Incoming Transmission from the Locked Thread Empire

Oh great, this better not be about Spode.

EDIT:
Nice Squid ship in your sig. I'm quite the mollusk fan myself.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/14/2008 03:30:25

ZeekSlider

Civilized Sporeon

Finnical wrote:
ZeekSlider wrote:I wonder if everyone would have the same opinion if it was Cliffy B. instead of Chris Hecker.
I'd be more shock than anger if it were him. That'd just be out of character.
Good point.

What if it was Sid Myers?

ZeekSlider's Spore Blog - Expanded creation descriptions and exclusive content not shared on Spore.com

Number of Spore Re-Installs: 8
Most Recent Re-Install: 16/05/2011
Reason for Re-Install: Constaint crashing due to lack of use?? Possibly...
Jackuul

Civilized Sporeon

Don't forget, there was another person who co-founded the cute team.

If you're going for blood - don't let him take the sole blame. It took two to tango, and the article mentions the other one.

My Sporefile
I own 4 tarantulas. I <3 Spiders. RIP Mr. Fuzzy, Beta, and Delta. May you eat crickets in Spider Heaven.
[WWW]

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: