The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Sporum Town Hall: Improving Communication Between Moderators and Community  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
SporeMasterDOGC_Kyle

Civilized Sporeon

The South of the North (Southern Ontario, Canada)

Post removed, meant to post under my personal account (see below)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/01/2016 03:13:24

DarkMagickan

GalacticGod

SporeMasterDOGC_Kyle wrote:Great idea, Mob! This should really help keep this civil and contained to one place.

Permabans: I have to agree with Dark's petition on this one. If it were up to me alone, no permabans except for very severe situations (such as hacking).

I think the week-long insta-suspension (after you've received 3-4 suspensions) is good enough for almost all situations. The only reason I'd consider upping it to multiple weeks or even month(s) is if the person returns and immediately does the exact same stuff that got them banned*.
Ignoring the requests of an SM or admin is pretty rude. If you're doing the exact thing we're telling you not to do, the banhammer shall fly swiftly.

Also, looking like an imbecile is already a consequence on it's own.

* if for whatever reason, someone was banned for 3 months for constantly spamming, and then returned after 3 months to immediately spam again... first of all, that person really should consider getting a life (just my personal opinion!) and maybe then deserve a longer suspension. I really doubt anyone would wait a year for a suspension to expire, just so they could come and spam.

All of the above. Exactly.

DOGC_Kyle

Civilized Sporeon

The South of the North (Southern Ontario, Canada)

Great idea, Mob! This should really help keep this civil and contained to one place.

Permabans: I have to agree with Dark's petition on this one. If it were up to me alone, no permabans except for very severe situations (such as hacking).

I think the week-long insta-suspension (after you've received 3-4 suspensions) is good enough for almost all situations. The only reason I'd consider upping it to multiple weeks or even month(s) is if the person returns and immediately does the exact same stuff that got them banned*.
Ignoring the requests of an SM or admin is pretty rude. If you're doing the exact thing we're telling you not to do, the banhammer shall fly swiftly.

Also, looking like an imbecile is already a consequence on it's own.

* if for whatever reason, someone was banned for 3 months for constantly spamming, and then returned after 3 months to immediately spam again... first of all, that person really should consider getting a life (just my personal opinion!) and maybe then deserve a longer suspension. I really doubt anyone would wait a year for a suspension to expire, just so they could come and spam.

Just to be clear, these are my own thoughts. This was not discussed with other mods or admins, it does not reflect the opinions of other mods or admins, and it is not an official response of any form.

Kyle N // DOGC_Kyle
My Spore Page // Gave up on adventures for now, decided to try making Spore 2 instead
// Sometimes participating in Project Multispore (multiplayer galaxy)
// Livestreaming Spore and other games at https://mixer.com/Kyle_Necrowolf

Relax, said the SMs,
Your posts have been received,
You can log out any time you like,
But you can never leave!
[WWW]
chantal71

Civilized Sporeon

In a nuke warehouse, pointing ballistic missiles at the United States.

I hope that this post won't get removed, and that I won't get banned as a result of posting here at all, but with the foundation of this thread, I'm sure to be as good as gone before you know it.
I'd also like to mention that I double-censored one of my recent posts.
Prepare the party drinks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2016 03:18:23

[WWW]
SporeMasterMobsterMania

Multicellular

You could, of course try to contribute. And if your posts stick to the guidelines and Rules of Conduct you shouldn't worry about getting banned.

Just don't be impulsive. That's all.

Reblon

Multicellular

DOGC_Kyle wrote:if for whatever reason, someone was banned for 3 months for constantly spamming, and then returned after 3 months to immediately spam again... first of all, that person really should consider getting a life (just my personal opinion!) and maybe then deserve a longer suspension. I really doubt anyone would wait a year for a suspension to expire, just so they could come and spam.

Iv'e actually seen that happen in a few other video game forums.

In one of them, I literally received 200+ PM's with the messages containing a whole bunch of randomized letters and numbers from a user called "BigRedBoat". Alright, no problem, just report it for spam and select-all delete them. Before I could even see myself entering the general discussion section, the entire page was filled with locked complaint threads of Mr. Big Red Boat spamming their PM's. It was like freakin' leg day for the moderators.

Every user that was verified as a human being was targeted.

The staff had verified the spammer was actually a human, though. Because he wasn't a bot, they IP banned him for about two months at the most. And then out of nowhere while the timer runs out, this guy fills our PM messages again! The staff later confirmed that it was bot activity--the spammer left forever and planted a bot to "insta-spam" as soon as the timer ran out.

Hopefully that situation doesn't happen on the Sporum and warns just how much capabilities elite "hacky" spammers have nowadays. Now that, is what you call a good time to perma-IP ban someone (or even something)...well, on the related subject of the petition, of course.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/01/2016 03:42:02

Best moments on the Sporum
DarkMagickan wrote:i'll play it on all 15 of my accounts
chantal71

Civilized Sporeon

In a nuke warehouse, pointing ballistic missiles at the United States.

SporeMasterMobsterMania wrote:Just don't be impulsive. That's all.

That's what I'm afraid that I'll get banned for. My posting style is, for the most part, to make fun of whatever I can single out. Even if I make it obscure enough to try to get it past Slime, I'll still get the boot for being off-topic.

Regarding Reblon's post, he must've gone from BigRedBoat to BigRedBot.

[WWW]
DarkMagickan

GalacticGod

chantal71 wrote:
SporeMasterMobsterMania wrote:Just don't be impulsive. That's all.

That's what I'm afraid that I'll get banned for. My posting style is, for the most part, to make fun of whatever I can single out. Even if I make it obscure enough to try to get it past Slime, I'll still get the boot for being off-topic.

Your posting style may be funny to you, and if we were talking face-to-face, I'm sure I would find it hilarious. But without the benefit of vocal tones, facial expressions, and body language, it just comes off as mean.

SporeMasterMobsterMania

Multicellular

chantal71 wrote:

That said, unless you post here to raise a concern or provide constructive input, with no additional sarcasm, I suggest you steer clear of this thread for your sake.

DarkMagickan

GalacticGod

On that note:

Can we agree on what, precisely, rotating bans (permabans) will be issued for? Also, I wish to take issue with my last three suspensions.

Reblon

Multicellular

DarkMagickan wrote:without the benefit of vocal tones, facial expressions, and body language, it just comes off as mean.

With regards to that, I remember on this day, all the way back in grade 9, my English teacher told the class why the internet was so hostile--as the majority of hostility comes not from the content, but actually from replies is from exactly what you have just stated; The lack of those particular benefits.

I salute to you, brother.

Best moments on the Sporum
DarkMagickan wrote:i'll play it on all 15 of my accounts
SporeMasterSlime

Spore Master

I'm not saying I disagree with smacking Sharples with the hammer; he's definitely the kind of guy to have done something to deserve it, but was a poll too much to ask?

What makes you say we should have a poll before we decide on something? Is there any normal forum where this happens? I think you guys either don't want to be banned whatever you do or have no perspective on how forums work on the Internet (hint: they're not democracies).

Also, most of you haven't even been around for all the time sharples has spammed and caused problems. Some of you may not know that his first account was permabanned in 2011 (guess who had to clean up the mess then). That was five years ago. In a normal forum this would never have happened beause he would be permabanned on the second-third serious offense.

I was against rotating permabans simply because I couldn't be bothered to update the suspensions every week before they expired. But when I received about a thousand e-mails (PM notifications) during sharples' last "session", you kinda get the feeling that some people don't know where to stop, and giving them 2nd, 3rd or 100th chances won't change that.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 05/01/2016 08:32:38

Sig by theKatsos

PSN: onewarmslime
[WWW]
LMSargent

Multicellular

While I am all for democracy, I for one don't really see where a poll on forum offenses and subsequent punishment is very feasible or even desirable. I think that as long as multiple offenders are put on notice that their next serious offense would garner such punishment, that is good enough. I do think there should be a consensus among the SMs before such a serious punishment as a rotating ban is handed out.

DarkMagickan

GalacticGod

LMSargent wrote:While I am all for democracy, I for one don't really see where a poll on forum offenses and subsequent punishment is very feasible or even desirable. I think that as long as multiple offenders are put on notice that their next serious offense would garner such punishment, that is good enough. I do think there should be a consensus among the SMs before such a serious punishment as a rotating ban is handed out.

The problem is that there was no warning. Not saying that Sharples teasing the bear was a hot idea, either.

LMSargent

Multicellular

I know people have said that Sharples was given no warning that the perma ban hammer was looming, but do we know that is true? I haven't heard from the SMs or Sharples on this either way.

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: