The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Stuck while using the Spore API? Post a question  XML
Forum Index » Developer Corner
dragoonreas

Microbe

FutureFilms wrote:This tells you how to get to it:

http://www.sporemods.org/forum/index.php/topic,576.0.html

For mac users it's
User/Library/Preferences/SPORE Preferences/p_drive/User/Application Data/SPORE/Games
for mac users you must download a file run it to get hidden files to show up
search "show hidden files on mac in google"

Those files aren't hidden for mac users, so you don't need to make them visible.

Neotyguy40

MouthBreather

Didzo wrote:Do not triple post. Spamming the thread will not get you an answer.

If you didn't notice, they were days apart.

Want to play a game of Spore without horrible creations? Click on "The Perfect Game" contest banner and join in!
Didzo

Spacefaring Sporeling

Neotyguy40 wrote:

The 'edit' button exists for a purpose. Use it.

~Illegitimis nil carborundum~

~Signature by G3NJI~----------------------------------------------------------The Ego has fed...
Neotyguy40

MouthBreather

Didzo wrote:
Neotyguy40 wrote:

The 'edit' button exists for a purpose. Use it.

I only use the edit button if I forget something in my post. I will repost my question here:

EDIT: Are the files cross-platform? Such as if you try and open a file on the mac when it was created on a PC, will it open?

This will let my app become cross-platform.

Also, can .zip files or other compressed files be uploaded just like the .png files onto Spore.com?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/25/2009 04:18:52

Want to play a game of Spore without horrible creations? Click on "The Perfect Game" contest banner and join in!
Snobau

Microbe

Do you think you will ever provide an oauth/request token so that I would be able to do things like add an asset as a favorite for a user?
MaxisDangerousYams

Multicellular

We would love to do that eventually- let an authenticated application write data back to our databases.

The applications are a lot more fun when you can store some data. Currently you could roll your own database and store relevant information on your side. For example, if you wanted to make an index of all creatures with wings... you could run queries using our web services and start storing matches in your own database.

impiaaa

Microbe

Is there any way to get a creation's description? It is in the RSS feed, but not the REST, which I am using/will use.

The boatcake is coming for you…
[WWW]
MaxisDangerousYams

Multicellular

Try this:
http://www.spore.com/rest/asset/500005649853

This will get you description, tag, 10 latest comments etc.
0jkensler0

Multicellular

I realize that this forum area is focused towards web applications, but how would I go about calling assets for a computer based app? Specifically in visual basic code (similar to C+ I believe).

I would like to make an application where you open the png and it will not only accesses the web information, but analyzes the image for specific details about the creation. Aka how many parts used, what they were, and what the stats are for it (creature & vehicle stats).

Is this possible and if so how advanced would the coding have to be? or an even better question, would spore as a company even allow other people to legally have the rights read the embedded image pixel code? (the lifeblood of the software)

EDIT
I'm working on a degree right now so I'm swamped with essays and labs,
but I'll check back when I can, no promises on a specific time though.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/28/2009 05:06:27

impiaaa

Microbe

MaxisDangerousYams wrote:Try this:
http://www.spore.com/rest/asset/500005649853

This will get you description, tag, 10 latest comments etc.

Thanks! This is just what I was looking for.

[WWW]
impiaaa

Microbe

0jkensler0 wrote:I realize that this forum area is focused towards web applications, but how would I go about calling assets for a computer based app? Specifically in visual basic code (similar to C+ I believe).

I would like to make an application where you open the png and it will not only accesses the web information, but analyzes the image for specific details about the creation. Aka how many parts used, what they were, and what the stats are for it (creature & vehicle stats).

Is this possible and if so how advanced would the coding have to be? or an even better question, would spore as a company even allow other people to legally have the rights read the embedded image pixel code? (the lifeblood of the software)

EDIT
I'm working on a degree right now so I'm swamped with essays and labs,
but I'll check back when I can, no promises on a specific time though.

Look up how to download a webpage in VB, and parse XML, and you won't need the PNG, just the asset ID.

[WWW]
0jkensler0

Multicellular

@impiaaa
I was more looking on how to analyze the data stored in the images themselves for subtle things such as exact number of parts used and what they were, but I guess that wasn't clear and it's probably too complicated for me anyways.

Thanks for the tip though,
If I ever get the app finished I'll be sure to post it.
-JLK

PieIsYummy

Civilized Sporeon

I don't really know if this is exactly relevant to the subject, but on my other computer, the forum, on the SITE, and MySpore page, On the GAME, are coming up with errors every time I try to use them.

I was the God of the Old world... then Didzo had to kill it. Now I am out to get you didzo. You had better run.

I am... PIEISYUMMY... My Ego will crush you like an overweight hippo on a ham sandwich.
I Posted the 99000th time in the Community Showcase!

I am on a quest to give threads another chance! and a 3rd and 4th. and...

Here is my Profile

SPOREPEDIA PAGE

JoeyBagOfDonuts

Microbe

Devs:

Any way we can get the UserID in the RANDOM REST feed? I want to award users points when their assets are used in my app. I know I can get the ID by doing another call to something like http://www.spore.com/atom/assets/user/MaxisCactus, but that would be at least 16 extra calls that I would have to make. If you could add it to the the RANDOM (and related) REST feeds, it would be fantastic!

Thanks. My app (Sporenament) is progressing nicely...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/01/2009 21:41:52

MaxisDangerousYams

Multicellular

We could add it, but is there any reason you couldn't just use the username?
Each user has a unique username and that's included in the RANDOM REST in the "<author>" tag for each asset

Looking forward to the "Sporenament"!!

Forum Index » Developer Corner
Go to: