The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

Alternate Biochemistry  XML
Forum Index » Science and Spore
StyleConformer

Civilized Sporeon

Planning dastardly deeds in my evil lair.

Probably, but its funnerer to imagine everything else in the universe as a blob.

Jackuul

Civilized Sporeon

Tungsten based life forms would be heavy.

My Sporefile
I own 4 tarantulas. I <3 Spiders. RIP Mr. Fuzzy, Beta, and Delta. May you eat crickets in Spider Heaven.
[WWW]
StyleConformer

Civilized Sporeon

...Heavy!

Puppysworld13

MouthBreather

in front of my computer at leat while i'm writing on the forum

well i think it would be passble to have all sorts of bases for live as soon as you know what live is (the rules from earth would stop counting because well they just look at earth creatures and say you you and you are alive and you you you and you are lifeless and you are dead it's way harder if you want to make a dession whatever creature on other planets are living ) it would be passble to have droits rebuilding themself and because your computer makes mistakes while writing programs (1 mistake each gb) you would get some sort of evolution aswell

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/16/2008 05:55:26

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Puppysworld13

I have no problems if you point out grammer or spelling problem I'm not a native english speaker
StyleConformer

Civilized Sporeon

Iridium based life, its shiny....

Elvisdogs

Spacefaring Sporeling

In the Commie Dolphin HQ (Canadian Sector)

Maybe on helium or hydrogen

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/17/2008 00:19:40

I still live. Merely in the shadows.
leestriter

GalacticGod

Hm, apparently someone wrote a book about theoretical life in suns....sounds interesting.

Arcesious

Multicellular

The formation of life with different core elements is most certainly possible. It would depend on how good the atoms we're talkinmg about are at formign bonds with other atoms, and how easily a pattern could be formed frm those bonds that would duplicate itself. Carbon based life is most likely more common and easier to form, because it is a simple element, and our biological chemistry is based on simple, common elements. More complex, less common elements formign life is more unlikely. For example, The nuclear fisson effect in a star is extremely far more likely to form 1000 carbon atoms than 1000 dubnium atoms.

Okasen

Microbe

Elvisdogs wrote:Maybe on helium or hydrogen

I find that plausible... those would likely be the early lifeforms, since helium and hydrogen were supposedly here "first" in the universe, because they were so simple. They would likely need a very cold climate, with heavy gravity, to keep the hydrogen and helium on the surface of the planet and in one place, because they would have to be at least a liquid, if not solid, to not merely float away.

I honestly think that carbon is the most common core, since it's able to bond to so many things, and it can create many possible compounds, making it easier to build up complex and diverse polymers.

-->My Spores!<--
Each image is a link! Click!
StyleConformer

Civilized Sporeon

Ohhhhhh, An amorphous carbon based creature!

ESPEE

Civilized Sporeon

leestriter wrote:Life in spore, is obviously based on carbon. And by the assumption of most people on earth, without knowing it or knowingly, they assume life on other planets would also have to be based on carbon.

We all seem to suffer from Carbon chauvinism ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_chauvinism ) the belief that life on other planets would be like us, or more specifically based on carbon.

Now, could be even begin to imagine what life on other planets could be like? For all we know earth would kill them instantly.

Could life be based on silicon? Perhaps even arsenic?

Here is the wikipedia page so you can get some of the basic info needed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_biochemistry. What do you guys think?

Highly possible. Life needs one single thing:Water/

StyleConformer

Civilized Sporeon

some life doesn't even need that.

ChompRocl

MouthBreather

Yes it does. All creatures, even microbes deep underground get water in some form.
Alright, give me but a single living organism that doesn't need water.

[WWW]
StyleConformer

Civilized Sporeon

We don't know they all need water. there is no proof that there aren't life forms not based off carbon. same principle.

PenguinKid

Multicellular

How about something non-organic? Not as in mineral non-organic. Cyborg non-organic. Could there be a Dalek-like civilization out there?*Twilight Zone theme plays* TRACK 9 JACK, NOT TRACK 19!!! *Jack switches the CD to track 9*Good, now press play. *Jack presses play and Dalek music from Episode 13 of Doctor Who 2005 season plays* Could there really be a race so hateful, so evil, that they destroy every living being except themselves? Could there really be cyborgs that look spmewhat like salt-shakers out there? Could there truly be a species made up of the remains of a once-great civilization, destroyed by a thousand years of nuclear war? Could there be actual Daleks out there? We may never know...well, that concludes today's episode of "Bizzare Questions You're Too Afraid to Ask". Come back next time to find out if water bears really can survive in the vacuum of space!*cheesy game show music plays*JACK! YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN!!
Jack: Sorry!
Ok, forget the closing theme, I'm outta here.

Save the adorable macaws!
Here's my profile.
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/PenguinKid

Forum Index » Science and Spore
Go to: