The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
"You may have multiple Spore accounts for each installation of the game" - NOT  XML
Forum Index » Spore Help
stefan9

Microbe

Misprint or not its not the customer's problem. If you print it in the manual you have to give the customer what you claim he will be getting. You can't change it after he/she bought the game.

kalmbachg

Microbe

I have 2 pc's - My home gaming pc, and my laptop I travel with. Can I install this on both pc's and using only the 1 account?

I don't need 2 accounts, I just want to play when I travel..... but I don't wanna use my laptop at home..

Hopefully that's ok...

Ha ha ha! Mine is an evil laugh!
heints

Microbe

kalmbachg wrote:I have 2 pc's - My home gaming pc, and my laptop I travel with. Can I install this on both pc's and using only the 1 account?

I don't need 2 accounts, I just want to play when I travel..... but I don't wanna use my laptop at home..

Hopefully that's ok...

Yes I've heard you can install up to three times.
Cysgodi

Multicellular

kalmbachg wrote:I have 2 pc's - My home gaming pc, and my laptop I travel with. Can I install this on both pc's and using only the 1 account?

Hopefully that's ok...

Yes this works, I have it installed on my desktop and my laptop at home and both work fine.

StevenMC

MouthBreather

your game manual is NOT a legal document. If it were, we'd be forced to read a digital version if you downloaded the game. Since it's not included in the D2D version, it means nothing.

"...are you caulking your shoe?"
[Yahoo!] aim icon
earthbounder64

Multicellular

I'm sorry, but misprint or not, it's a asinine move.

If the Creature Creator did not have this kind of limitation, then neither should the game itself.

I would be perfectly happy if it limited the number of accounts for each serial code to 2-3(whatever the number of installs we're limited to).

"Misprints" like this should never have made it past whomever approves the final manual.

I, for one, am just about done buying EA products altogether.
When those who choose to play illegally can do so with ease, these idiotic limitations only punish legit players.

I'd also like to point out that it's kinda idiotic to limit the number of installs per game, yet then limit each game to 1 account.
[Email]
StevenMC

MouthBreather

I agree it's stupid, but wise software maker once say, "when you buy a game, you're not buying the game, you're buying a license to play the game". It's really no different than an OS that is licensed for use on 1 PC. It's incredibly dumb, but that's just the way it is.

[Yahoo!] aim icon
MadJack

Multicellular

stevenmc wrote: It's really no different than an OS that is licensed for use on 1 PC. It's incredibly dumb, but that's just the way it is.

Not the same at all. I can reinstall ANY OS I have bought ANY number of times. Moreover, I can create multiple logins (users) and everything belonging to that user will be tied to it... As for being able to install it on only 1 PC, I'm ok with that.

How would you feel if [Insert OS name here] only had 1 possible user?

I know you're not arguing for that point, I'm just pointing out your flawed thinking. No offense intended.

Chris Hecker and Alex Hutchinson, neither of you have any idea what hardcore gamers want. Certainly not this piece of crap that is Sboring. So, just stfu about Spore being attractive to power/hardcore gamers.
[WWW]
earthbounder64

Multicellular

And I, for one, would not be nearly as upset if the Creature Creator had worked the same way.
As it is, they pretty much did it this way to hook extra people through the CC, then gouge them when it comes to the actual game.
[Email]
StevenMC

MouthBreather

madjack wrote:
stevenmc wrote: It's really no different than an OS that is licensed for use on 1 PC. It's incredibly dumb, but that's just the way it is.

Not the same at all. I can reinstall ANY OS I have bought ANY number of times. Moreover, I can create multiple logins (users) and everything belonging to that user will be tied to it... As for being able to install it on only 1 PC, I'm ok with that.

Actually, a lot of software has a user limit. Think Symantec Corp AV on servers, Citrix, Windows Server 2xxx,...

And, nobody is saying you can't reinstall it as many times as you want... well they are, but what they really mean is after 3 installs, you need to update your user signature that is stored with EA. Because your individual key is checked against the one on the server every time you play the game online, they need to have a mechanism to keep keys from being distributed billions of times.

[Yahoo!] aim icon
Tharkun86

Microbe

eaviolet wrote:That section in the manual was a misprint and will be corrected in future printings of the manual.

This is a joke, isn't it?

The EULA says: "Through this purchase, you are acquiring and EA grants you a personal, non-exclusive license to install and use the Software for your personal, non-commercial use solely as set forth in this License and the accompanying documentation."

As the manual is the accompanying documentation, and it clearly states that we may have multiple accounts, this is a breach of the License Agreement.

I hope you will not change the "misprint", but your policy as soon as possible. If not, as valmiki says, your legal department will have a problem.

StevenMC

MouthBreather

tharkun86 wrote:
eaviolet wrote:...
The EULA says: "Through this purchase, you are acquiring and EA grants you a personal, non-exclusive license to install and use the Software for your personal, non-commercial use solely as set forth in this License and the accompanying documentation."

I didn't get no stinkin "accompanying documentation".

[Yahoo!] aim icon
heints

Microbe

tharkun86 wrote:
eaviolet wrote:That section in the manual was a misprint and will be corrected in future printings of the manual.

This is a joke, isn't it?

As the manual is the accompanying documentation, and it clearly states that we may have multiple accounts, this is a breach of the License Agreement.

I hope you will not change the "misprint", but your policy as soon as possible. If not, as valmiki says, your legal department will have a problem.

Thanks for pointing out the EULA. That's proof that we agreed of the license, but EA did not. This issue will turn into a legal matter if EA does not fix their idiotic mistake.

ALSO - I don't see anywhere on the box, ANYWHERE, that we are buying a SINGLE USER LICENSE. Nowhere is that mentioned or agreed upon. It is mentioned that multiple users can utilize their accounts on a single - registered install - and yet EA makes this misprint statement.

We need to take this further. I will voice this matter to the government and will start seeking legal advice. I will start, by tomorrow, voicing this to the media.
MadJack

Multicellular

stevenmc wrote:
madjack wrote:

Actually, a lot of software has a user limit. Think Symantec Corp AV on servers, Citrix, Windows Server 2xxx,...

And, nobody is saying you can't reinstall it as many times as you want... well they are, but what they really mean is after 3 installs, you need to update your user signature that is stored with EA. Because your individual key is checked against the one on the server every time you play the game online, they need to have a mechanism to keep keys from being distributed billions of times.

My point flew fifty miles over your head didn't it? There are TONS of such software and it's irrelevant to the debate. Normal OSes, not corporate, you know, for normal people, don't have those limitations. Of course, just in case you'd be quick to argue more, there ARE hard limitations. I think there is a 128 limit on users on Vista or somesuch, but that, also, is pointless.

Just in case you're still missing the point, here it is: Normal software for common people usually don't have those limitations. Now, it's true that it seems to be becoming a trend, Bioshock being an example, but I personally don't think this will survive long. People are starting to get peeved at software publishers for the prices and lack of support, DRM, ad nauseam... Or, if it does, more and more people will turn to pirating to get rid of those installation limitations.

Anyway, that's the gist of it.

Chris Hecker and Alex Hutchinson, neither of you have any idea what hardcore gamers want. Certainly not this piece of crap that is Sboring. So, just stfu about Spore being attractive to power/hardcore gamers.
[WWW]
Hawkian

MouthBreather

Boy, violet must be having a bad day.

Since page 52 in the manual is not part of the TOS or any other disclaimer, unfortunately their "******" are covered, and it is just a misprint.

That said, it does suck, and this functionality should be added to the game ASAP.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/21/2008 00:08:28

aim icon

Forum Index » Spore Help
Go to: