The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

Alternate Biochemistry  XML
Forum Index » Science and Spore
leestriter

GalacticGod

Life in spore, is obviously based on carbon. And by the assumption of most people on earth, without knowing it or knowingly, they assume life on other planets would also have to be based on carbon.

We all seem to suffer from Carbon chauvinism ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_chauvinism ) the belief that life on other planets would be like us, or more specifically based on carbon.

Now, could be even begin to imagine what life on other planets could be like? For all we know earth would kill them instantly.

Could life be based on silicon? Perhaps even arsenic?

Here is the wikipedia page so you can get some of the basic info needed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_biochemistry. What do you guys think?

ChompRocl

MouthBreather

Silicon based life is definitely possible, but I don't know about arsenic.

[WWW]
Space_Coconut

Multicellular

Interesting subject anyways, I'll read the article ...

Find me as: Mr. Panoz @ NFSCars | Kereldude @ Travian nl

The account spacecoconut is to be merged into my account Space_Coconut
Vermil

Multicellular

Well, we don't see anything even approaching the same order of complexity as organic chemistry (carbon based) in chemistry based on silicon or other supposed candidates. I'm not a chemist, but my take is that only carbon has properties that transcends a certain complexity level into the fractal "chaos" domain. So I strongly believe that biochemical life really has to be based on carbon.
But I don't think "life" necessarily has to be biochemical. It could well be machinery, for instance. Or it could be highly complex organization of thermo-dynamic-electro-magnetic-radiation thingys that we would have immense difficulties in ever recognizing as "life".

ericDartist

Multicellular

Reading that article, it sounds like there are silicon-based lifeforms. Though it is curios how Earth life 'chose' carbon over silicon, carbon being much rarer.

Life on Earth is insane, living everywhere, in the most extreme environments, off the most barest of nutrients, in the most amazing ways. I'm sure there are ways life can form without carbon or water.
PenguinKid

Multicellular

I believe that, in this immense universe, there is no way of knowing that all life is carbon based. Anyone watch Doctor Who? The Slitheen in those episodes from 2005 are calcium based. That makes them somewhat easy to defeat. Just pour vinegar on them. And there may be life-forms that are even weirder.

Save the adorable macaws!
Here's my profile.
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/PenguinKid
futureracer

Civilized Sporeon

i would like to see a mercury based lifeform for many reasons

leestriter

GalacticGod

In a sulferic-acid rich enviroment, silicon based life would probly exist. But, could a lifeform of another base actually function better then something made from carbon?

StyleConformer

Civilized Sporeon

Planning dastardly deeds in my evil lair.

...Arsenic? I know what it is but really. Out of all the chemicals there are you pick that one as an example?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/14/2008 23:37:11

ChompRocl

MouthBreather

What? Chlorine based life is any better?

I wonder what Boron based life would look like...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/14/2008 23:41:05

[WWW]
StyleConformer

Civilized Sporeon

Everything besides corbon based would look like either a blob or Pokemon.

PenguinKid

Multicellular

ChompRocl wrote:What? Chlorine based life is any better?

I wonder what Boron based life would look like...

Why hasn't anyone considered a lead-based life form? Or a cobalt-based life form? Heck, there could even be an ununoctium based life form! Maybe even a zirconium-based life form! Here's the periodic table so we all don't need to keep looking it up in a science textbook or a website. It's kinda big.

I have no clue what the 2:04 is for, but I did get this from Google. Too bad it doesn't have the names, too.

StyleConformer wrote:Everything besides corbon based would look like either a blob or Pokemon.

*British accent*What? How do you know that? Pokemon, if real, would be carbon-based. Ok, enough with the British accent.
*normal voice*What makes you assume that a life form that isn't carbon based would look like a blob? Take the Slitheen and the Ogri from Doctor Who. The Ogri are in an episode from when Tom Baker played the Doctor. Slitheen are from 2005, when Chris Eccleston played the Doctor. The Ogri are silicon-based life forms, and they look like giant moving rocks that eat blood. The Slitheen are 8 foot tall humanoids with green skin, three fingers on each hand, (supposedly)venomous claws, and black eyes with eyelids that go like (|) (|) . What about the crystalline humanoids from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? They weren't carbon-based. But I guess it doesn't count, because they were from another dimension. All of these species are fictional, but I can still use them as examples!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/15/2008 00:14:49

Here's my profile.
StyleConformer

Civilized Sporeon

A nobelium based life form! and if I put it on here, I didn't look it up.

ericDartist

Multicellular

Before this thread becomes just pages and pages of random elements blurted out...

Do elements limit how life would look? Like could a carbon-based lifeform look just like a silicon-based lifeform?
PenguinKid

Multicellular

I wanna know what a zirconium based life-form would look like.

Here's my profile.

Forum Index » Science and Spore
Go to: