The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 

NOTE: The Sporum is migrating to EA’s Answers HQ forum environment. The Sporum is currently in Read-Only mode and will remain so for a period of time. For more information about the move and the new location, please see this post

Awareness and buildings (update 8/2 see p9)  XML
Forum Index » Spore Galactic Adventures
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

Huffmaster wrote:VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE
I found an easier way to get rid of the awareness problem, and a very simple one too! If you disguise a gate as the building (as in the 8/2 update) enemies and allies are completely aware of everything around them, disabling that annoying view box. Hope this helps!

Yes, I discovered this on 7/12 and have noted this in several places on this thread (and other threads in the GA forums). Switching from buildings to disguised gates fixes several problems with visibility and pathing problems. However, it is a pain to implement (takes more steps), takes up important game object slots, and I suspect that it costs more complexity (more information has to be stored about disguised gates instead of normal buildings).

[WWW]
LeeMortis

MouthBreather

Huffmaster wrote:VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE
I found an easier way to get rid of the awareness problem, and a very simple one too! If you disguise a gate as the building (as in the 8/2 update) enemies and allies are completely aware of everything around them, disabling that annoying view box. Hope this helps!

The other thing I don't like about disguising things as gates is that a gate has this humming sound that you can't get rid of. It would be a much more attractive solution if there was a way to "shut the gate up", as I don't want a wooden tribal bridge to be accompanied by a static humming noice.

Been reading through a lot of this thread, and there is definitely a lot of useful information here.

Hopefully Maxis decide to look into this problem and improve it (significantly) for the next patch.

Prometheus09

Civilized Sporeon

Lee pointed out a very important thing in his post... the constant machine humming is very annoying. In fact, all gameplay objects should be able to be "shut up", especially gates. I have been working on various space station/starship levels, and to prevent players from flying out the windows, I have used invisible gates to prevent this... but unfortunately, there is that incessant humming noise when you get near the windows. In a way, it fits into the very high-tech surroundings, but in reality, it is annoying and extraneous.

Galactic Adventures... looks like it's going to be another non-tanned summer!
Prometheus09's Profile
[WWW]
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

Prometheus09 wrote:Lee pointed out a very important thing in his post... the constant machine humming is very annoying. In fact, all gameplay objects should be able to be "shut up", especially gates. I have been working on various space station/starship levels, and to prevent players from flying out the windows, I have used invisible gates to prevent this... but unfortunately, there is that incessant humming noise when you get near the windows. In a way, it fits into the very high-tech surroundings, but in reality, it is annoying and extraneous.

I agree that invisible or disguised gates should not hum.

[WWW]
MarksmanAim

MouthBreather

DVDMaster wrote:
However, there are bugs in the collision logic that do not stop characters before they pass through the collision surface. And once passed though an outer collision surface, the character collides with some other collision surface. This gets the character stuck inside the surface. This happens with faster moving characters (speed 4 or 5; flight; falling from high distances; being knocked by damage. Changing the collision surfaces so that they are outside the skin won't fix this problem because it isn't a visual issue. The problem is that the collision logic fails.

You mean my captains high speed has been the reason this happens to me so much? So five speed can also handicap me? NOOOOO!

^READ THE POSTS PEOPLE^
Nightwatch88

Microbe

I partially blame some of the issues my game is experiencing on how bad my laptop is. However these are good tips that you point out. So far my adventures have been building and room free, that's just because I don't have the patience to deal with it. I should be getting a new laptop soon, and I will seriously consider all these discoveries, less lag would be a plus.

Testing is very important i can see, so looks like I'll be doing alot of experimentation with this expansion pack.

Creativity is the key to all things good.
[WWW] aim icon
Bobeagle77

MouthBreather

Thanks this tips are very helpful. No wonder my dungeon was kind of a disaster.

JoniTapani

Multicellular

VoidDancer wrote:Domo Oregato, mr sporeato.

Very nice analysis indeed.
Spell it right, ignorent; - Tomo Arigato, Mr. Sporeato

inferno7

Civilized Sporeon

You need to fix the pics

[WWW] [Yahoo!]
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

inferno7 wrote:You need to fix the pics

Thanks for letting me know. Fixed.

[WWW]
Squawk21

Microbe

Ah Ha! That explains why on a street like building, my creations aren't attacking me! Thanks for the help!
DVDMaster

Civilized Sporeon

UPDATE (5/4/2010):
I've been asked if the awareness bounding box affects static ornamental such as large rocks or plants. From what I can tell, rocks and plants do NOT have awareness bounding boxes. They function just like disguised gates.

[WWW]
pwnzerxpress

Microbe

Thank you! Thank you! this helps alot for my adventure
romgutten

Microbe

Spore: GA should have a mutch better collission detection. I HATE to be trapped into walls and need to restart the mission. I hope Maxis fixes that bug in a future patch.
Jalines

Multicellular

Lost in my strange mind, which is in California Gender: Male

<Important note!> I have not read past page 5 of this thread, so someone may have already offered these suggestions! If so, I apologize for repeating.

I, too, very soon found that creatures have a stupidly large amount of trouble navigating over buildings. The solution I have found works quite well (but only on the planet's surface) is to use "plaza" areas from the terraform tab to create a seemingly non-dirt ground area, my favorite being Tech Plaza. I found this to be the only way to have my NPC Runlar character move even close to where he was supposed to go in my nearly-complete "Base Command" adventure, since he had to take a turn. While using buildings for the floor, he would often move about 3/4 of the way to the turn in the corridor, stop for a moment, then turn and walk straight into the wall.

Also, GoodGame's comment on page 5, "A creature in a bounding box is totally blind, even to other creatures in the box," got me thinking about a moderately good, hopefully processing-cheap solution to at least some of the problems with bounding boxes. I thought that maybe the box should not fill the entire area, but be a 2D layer around the building; essentially, a hollow bounding box. While this would of course not fix all problems, at least creatures could see others inside the same bounding box. I also thought that, rather than making a cube around the general area of a building, the bounding box could diagonally connect faces that have nothing in between. I will attempt a diagram:
[Black is the actual building, blue is the bounding box]

Normally:

"Inner corner"
_\/
__ __________
| |___________|
| |___________|
| |___________|
| |___________|
| |___________| <- "Inner corner"
| |___________|

Rather than this huge box around the rest of the building's area, the box would instead slant from the inner corner of the vertical block to the inner corner of the horizontal block, reducing the discrepancy between actual area and bounding box area. This would really improve Grimbot's problem with stalactites so that they wouldn't make a huge bounding box.

Personally, I think the issue with building collision and pathfinding is pretty major, almost game-breakingly so, and should really be fixed soon. I doubt any of the creators here think that finding inconvenient workarounds for simple game features is fun.

My name is pronounced Jay-leens. I go by the same on deviantART and Dragon Cave. My Steam name is Blazer.

Forum Index » Spore Galactic Adventures
Go to: