The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Spore Creepy and Cute Pack:Spore Evolves with New Content,Gameplay and Tools (official announcement)  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Author Message
ThrowerOfStones


Multicellular

Joined: 09/12/2008 17:08:24
Messages: 244
Offline

RocketGirl wrote:
ThrowerOfStones wrote:
MinionJoe wrote:
ThrowerOfStones wrote:Sounds like this is just a repetition of that issue then.


Except this isn't Spore 2.


But RocketGirl is treating it as if it was.


Whereas YOU'RE treating Spore like a reset button, as if all the lessons learned by going from TheSims to TheSims 2 just no longer apply when making Spore, that they should have to be RE-learned, instead of be part of what drives the design of Spore 1.


These are some awesome nested quotes.

In any case. I think the lessons were learned, but difficult to apply. Spore is a vastly different and vastly more vast game than the Sims is. Inevitably some things had to be sacrifice on the altar of genre and scope, but obviously a lot more was added. Spore has a far, far broader base than either Sims game has - now it just needs for Maxis to build upon it. You sound like you don't generally buy expansions - which is fine, I suppose, but amusing, too, since the Sims and the Sims 2 both are games that thrived upon them, and really only came into their own with them. The same will undoubtedly be true of Spore.

ThrowerOfStones


Multicellular

Joined: 09/12/2008 17:08:24
Messages: 244
Offline

Ascus wrote:
hiki2008 wrote:More details abouth "Spore Cute and Creepy Pack" :


72 new body parts - 12 per pallet (mouth, eyes, antennae, legs, body & Details)
2 new backgrounds for the spore creature creator - 1 x creepy & 1 x cute
36 new scripts (12 bases, 12 paints & 12 Details)
12 new painting motifs
24 new test-animations - 12 x creepy & 12 cute


No new hands or feet? I am guessing eyes and antenne will be separate pages.
New backgrounds, I just use the transparent on anyway?
the new paints scripts are good, since combine with current paints, but only on more page each?
New animations???? how will that do anything to anything?
Nothing for vehicles or buildings?
No new Tribal, Citizen or Space outfits?

since this is 1/3 of the package price of the game, I would expect the parts pack to have at LEAST 30% of the parts of the main game. The above listed should have been a optional $4.99 download, not a $19.99 box.


Aside from the unreasonable complaints about price, that actually is a good point. 12 new legs and 12 new antennae? Really? What the crap? I hope that's not true. I might still get it, depending on the mouths and details, but I can't imagine why we would possibly need 12 new leg forms and 12 new antennae. We have enough minor variations on legs as it is, I think that can be safely said, and 12 new antennae is just... hilariously bizarre, if nothing else.

And what even is a body part?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 18:30:53


ausdreamer


Multicellular

Joined: 09/10/2008 17:36:53
Messages: 205
Offline

RocketGirl wrote:
ThrowerOfStones wrote:
I'm actually curious - did you play the original Sims, and if you did, did you have all any of the expansions for that?


Yes, I played it--still have the disc, though I don't have the manual, so if I want to play my own game, I have to essentially pirate it; oh, the irony--and I had none of the expansions at all.



Hmm you do not see anything essentially wrong or irrelevant in this statment?


You will not get achievements if you use the cheat console in that game.
To earn achievements you need to start a new game and not use the cheat console.
RocketGirl


MouthBreather

Joined: 09/12/2008 17:48:52
Messages: 851
Offline

You know what these expansions and packs are like? It's like a scene from The Hudsucker Proxy (awesome movie!) where reporters are asking Norville Barnes about his invention, the Hula Hoop:

Reporter: How do you respond to the charges that you're out of ideas? Have you run dry?

Norville Barnes: Not at all. Just this week I came up with several new sweet ideas: A larger model Hula Hoop for the portly, a battery option for the lazy or spastic, a model with extra sand
for the hard-of-hearing; I'm earning my keep.

...and, of course, Amy Archer's speech to him later:

Amy Archer: Norville, don't you remember how you used to feel about the Hoop? You told me you'd bring a smile to the hips of everyone in America, regardless of race, creed or color. Finally, there'd be a thingamajig
that would bring everyone together even if it kept them apart spatially.
"You know...for kids." Your words...not mine.
I used to love Norville Barnes. Yes, love him...when he was just a swell kid with hot ideas who was in over his head.
Now your head's too big to be in over!
Consider this my resignation. Effective immediately!

THAT'S what this reminds me of. Big time. Maxis and Will Wright showed so much promise, but now it feels like both are coasting, not really innovating anymore. And not listening when people try to wake them up. Seriously.

I wish I were just lashing out, I wish I were flaming or trolling; then none of this would be true. But, alas...I mean it. *psigh*

The problem is that Spore has become a coloring book instead of a chemistry set

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
ThrowerOfStones


Multicellular

Joined: 09/12/2008 17:08:24
Messages: 244
Offline

When a game has infinite replayability, you have to expect a company to release expansions for it. If they don't, they'll never make any money, because no one will ever need to buy another game.

RocketGirl


MouthBreather

Joined: 09/12/2008 17:48:52
Messages: 851
Offline

ausdreamer wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:
ThrowerOfStones wrote:
I'm actually curious - did you play the original Sims, and if you did, did you have all any of the expansions for that?


Yes, I played it--still have the disc, though I don't have the manual, so if I want to play my own game, I have to essentially pirate it; oh, the irony--and I had none of the expansions at all.



Hmm you do not see anything essentially wrong or irrelevant in this statment?



No, not really. I don't have the manual to the game, so I don't have the authorization code anymore, so if I want to play the game I will be required to crack it. Thankfully, I have the sequel, which is a much better game, and I still have the authorization codes to THAT, so...

Though if you're referring to the part about expansions, well...I definitely don't see your point.

The problem is that Spore has become a coloring book instead of a chemistry set

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
MinionJoe


Spacefaring Sporeling

Joined: 09/19/2008 22:59:19
Messages: 5991
Offline

ThrowerOfStones wrote:When a game has infinite replayability, you have to expect a company to release expansions for it. If they don't, they'll never make any money, because no one will ever need to buy another game.


What if a game does not have infinite replayability?


Times MinionJoe Has Been Banned: 5 Times MinionJoe's Opinion Has Changed: 0
ausdreamer


Multicellular

Joined: 09/10/2008 17:36:53
Messages: 205
Offline

ok look at it this way.

Say they make a game- the game is complete- that is all the game will ever be- no more no less. Thats it - if you hate the game then you have to throw the game in the bin and move on.
Some people hate it and some people love it - aka Spore.


Adding OPTIONAL expansions can make a game that people did not like now enjoy the game. The developer can working on feedback of what is missing make additons to enhance it to suit everyone.

Now nobody is going to like all features or all expansions so having a variety to choose to add to your game can only enhance it? How can it make it worst?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 18:43:42


You will not get achievements if you use the cheat console in that game.
To earn achievements you need to start a new game and not use the cheat console.
RocketGirl


MouthBreather

Joined: 09/12/2008 17:48:52
Messages: 851
Offline

ThrowerOfStones wrote:When a game has infinite replayability, you have to expect a company to release expansions for it. If they don't, they'll never make any money, because no one will ever need to buy another game.


But if the base game isn't any fun, no one will buy the expansions to begin with.

And if the game doesn't have infinite replayability--and WANTING to play multiple times is a factor in that, BTW--then the game isn't any fun, at least not in this genre.
Face facts: Spore is ultimately dull because it's shallow. It seems ambitious until you realize that it's really just a bunch of minigames strung together; without the emergent game-play of even TheSims 2, it's actually a very small game with a huge map. It'd be like if Pac-Man were given a larger maze, more ghost-monsters to chase him, and the ability to change colors: it's still @#$%ing Pac-Man, and Pac-Man is a very simple game.

The problem is that Spore has become a coloring book instead of a chemistry set

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
ThrowerOfStones


Multicellular

Joined: 09/12/2008 17:08:24
Messages: 244
Offline

MinionJoe wrote:
ThrowerOfStones wrote:When a game has infinite replayability, you have to expect a company to release expansions for it. If they don't, they'll never make any money, because no one will ever need to buy another game.


What if a game does not have infinite replayability?


Then a company who releases an expansion for it will probably be in for an unpleasant surprise as nobody is playing their game anymore and thus nobody buys the expansion.

Pugnap00


MouthBreather

Joined: 09/12/2008 21:47:39
Messages: 642
Offline

$20 is a little too pricey for 100 parts i suppose. I love the creator though, so ill be picking this up. Expansion sounds good so far, i love the idea of being able to beam down to planets, and the missions. I cant wait for more details so we can see what else will be included!

Is there gonna be a plant creator?

Sweeeet!

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pugnap00
Help my Dragons Grow!!
ThrowerOfStones


Multicellular

Joined: 09/12/2008 17:08:24
Messages: 244
Offline

RocketGirl wrote:
ThrowerOfStones wrote:When a game has infinite replayability, you have to expect a company to release expansions for it. If they don't, they'll never make any money, because no one will ever need to buy another game.


But if the base game isn't any fun, no one will buy the expansions to begin with.

And if the game doesn't have infinite replayability--and WANTING to play multiple times is a factor in that, BTW--then the game isn't any fun, at least not in this genre.
Face facts: Spore is ultimately dull because it's shallow. It seems ambitious until you realize that it's really just a bunch of minigames strung together; without the emergent game-play of even TheSims 2, it's actually a very small game with a huge map. It'd be like if Pac-Man were given a larger maze, more ghost-monsters to chase him, and the ability to change colors: it's still @#$%ing Pac-Man, and Pac-Man is a very simple game.


But Spore isn't dull, isn't shallow, and has emergent gameplay. The fact that you don't enjoy it doesn't mean that other people don't too. I'm still playing this game - if it were any other single player, not replayable game, I'd have finished it by now and moved on. The same applies to a lot of people.

Sure it is also the case that many people have left - that just means Spore isn't for them. Doesn't mean that Spore doesn't have infinite replayablility for the subset of gamers that Spore appeals to.

RocketGirl


MouthBreather

Joined: 09/12/2008 17:48:52
Messages: 851
Offline

ausdreamer wrote:ok look at it this way.

Say they make a game- the game is complete- that is all the game will ever be- no more no less. Thats it - if you hate the game then you have to throw the game in the bin and move on.
Some people hate it and some people love it - aka Spore.


Adding OPTIONAL expansions can make a game that people did not like now enjoy the game. The developer can working on feedback of what is missing make additons to enhance it to suit everyone.

Now nobody is going to like all features or all expansions so having a variety to choose to add to your game can only enhance it? How can it make it worst?


Because they've already shot themselves in the foot with this business model. The base product was talked up SO MUCH, and there are so many aspects to the game that so many people were looking forward to and which weren't in the final release...by trying to add them as expansions which we have to PAY FOR, well, it's like being required to pay the salary of the nice, black-hooded man with the axe that the king has paid to chop off your head. It's like buying a car and then being told the keys, wheels, and engine will cost you extra. It's like paying for a burger and only getting the bun. It's like, "Hey wait...where'z what I paid for? Oh, the bits I wanted will cost extra? And the expansion will cost be half-again what I paid for the original? Sure! Sign me up!"
I don't know about you, but I don't like being taken for a sucker.

The problem is that Spore has become a coloring book instead of a chemistry set

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
MinionJoe


Spacefaring Sporeling

Joined: 09/19/2008 22:59:19
Messages: 5991
Offline

ThrowerOfStones wrote:Then a company who releases an expansion for it will probably be in for an unpleasant surprise as nobody is playing their game anymore and thus nobody buys the expansion.


I agree.

We'll just have to see how well the parts pack and expansion sell.


Times MinionJoe Has Been Banned: 5 Times MinionJoe's Opinion Has Changed: 0
ausdreamer


Multicellular

Joined: 09/10/2008 17:36:53
Messages: 205
Offline

RocketGirl wrote:
ausdreamer wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:
ThrowerOfStones wrote:
I'm actually curious - did you play the original Sims, and if you did, did you have all any of the expansions for that?


Yes, I played it--still have the disc, though I don't have the manual, so if I want to play my own game, I have to essentially pirate it; oh, the irony--and I had none of the expansions at all.



Hmm you do not see anything essentially wrong or irrelevant in this statment?



No, not really. I don't have the manual to the game, so I don't have the authorization code anymore, so if I want to play the game I will be required to crack it. Thankfully, I have the sequel, which is a much better game, and I still have the authorization codes to THAT, so...

Though if you're referring to the part about expansions, well...I definitely don't see your point.


RG i am referring to the fact that because you lost your game manual you seem there is a reason to bring up irony.
There are plenty of ways to ensure you do not lose your code- in fact if you have registered your game with EA they keep a record- however if you look after your own possessions and also take pro active insurance you can also make photo copies, make a text file, write it down in various places. Your loss of your game manual is no problem but your own created one.
Mentioning it is irrelevant- and nothing to do with the subject of expansions and stuff packs especially since you claim you do not buy them anyway.

You are so negative you are now just bringing up stuff that is totally irrelevant.




You will not get achievements if you use the cheat console in that game.
To earn achievements you need to start a new game and not use the cheat console.
 
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to:   
 
Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © ( EA Dev Build 2013-06-21 16:12:06 ) JForum Team