The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
I want to use many creations I find but ... (ethic/protocol question)  XML
Forum Index » Creator Corner
Poll
What is proper for tweeking creations of inactive players
Change them without any worries. 8% [ 4 ]
Change them and credit the original author if tagged 4% [ 2 ]
Change them only if you credit the original author 88% [ 42 ]
Do not change them, only the originator should change them 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 48
Ascus

MouthBreather

Searching through the Sporepedia, I find many creations that I really like but they are defective.

1) Building sets that do not have the "Set:" tag
2) the creatures stats do not qualify for any Archetype

The buildings are an obvious fix of adding the set tags. and the creatures can often be fixed with the simple downgrade or upgrade of a part or two or adding or moving a minor part. But doing that marks me as the creator.

I want use them, but often the creature has not made anything in a while, and not even an entry by them in their even logs for a while. Many of them have no tags at all, so once they are in the editor its difficult to tell who made the original.

What is proper here?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/06/2008 16:49:58

Check out my Sporecast viewer at http://ciper.com/spore/spore.php
[WWW]
OptimusJ

Multicellular

Since the game allow you to change the creatures I guess it's OK to do so. BUT, always giving credit. I have 2 modifications in my creations, and both the city hall, and the creature have the name of the original creator there, as reference.

Edit: Besides, with the credit you're even helping, by advertising about the other player.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/06/2008 17:24:43

I learned my lesson. I am dull.
markiem32

MouthBreather

Well... I was the 10th voter in the poll, and at this time it's 100% for changing with giving credit.

I have been doing that all along -- I actually enjoy the creature tweaker tool in game. I will rename the creature to indicate which of my empires tweaked it, and will always include in both the decription and in the tags the name of the person who designed the original. Then I continue with my day, guilt-free.

Ascus

MouthBreather

I have a web page I am working on http://ciper.com/spore/spore.php that shows entire sporecasts.

I am currently putting in recognision of the "Set:" tag. So I can group buildings and related items together.

For the lack of a better standard, I will be also putting recongition for 2 other tags
by: xxxxx - xxxxx being the original author - and will override the creater name on the displayed card
and
id: ############ - (#'s the id of the original) which will provide a link to the original creation

Personally I will always put the "by:" tag on creations make from here foward and add them with original creators name when editing others works. I will put the ID: tag where possible

Sadly since all tags are coverted to lower case, I will not be able to link to the profile of the author.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/06/2008 22:15:42

[WWW]
MELONLORD

Spacefaring Sporeling

Okay I'm really sorry this isn't related to the topic but can any1 tell me how to start a topic? I want to start a contest but I don't know how! and can ya tell me how to get a picture in my signature? please and thank you, and once again i'm sorry! I new on this forum.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/06/2008 23:47:46

"All spammers are little weeds in a forest of flowers. No use for them when others have more importance and less annoyance." ~ galxyofpower
IM NOT DEAD YET
Ascus

MouthBreather

Pretty lopsided poll, with 93% saying "Only use if you credit author" at this point.

[WWW]
lordofthunder

Multicellular

MELONLORD wrote:Okay I'm really sorry this isn't related to the topic but can any1 tell me how to start a topic? I want to start a contest but I don't know how! and can ya tell me how to get a picture in my signature? please and thank you, and once again i'm sorry! I new on this forum.

log in with your username and password and click the 'new topic' button on the left side of your screen.

on topic:

in principle it doesn't matter for the game itself. the eula even states that the creations become EA property.

however some creators are really proud of their work and worry about these things, others hardly do but it's only a small trouble to please the original creator by adding credit. it's just a small gesture of goodwill.

*originals can be uploaded automatically while playing or simply by mistake that's why some prefer to put their name in the tagline. you can check to make sure if there's allready a credit in the tagline or not. (i don't even tag mine with a username, i'm happy enough when others think they're good enough to enjoy them)

*if it's only a recolor job or some minor detail changed most will appreciate a credit.

*if the original is hardly recognizable then it shouldn't matter for anyone.

*intentionally stealing of unchanged creations with your own tags is just ridiculous and will often result in downrating of your own creations.

what 'evolution' does ... carnivorous cells are terrorising space!
Nethellus

MouthBreather

Is there any source that says that the Set: tags does anything at all? My buildings almost always seem to get grouped together in game anyway, for some obscure reason.

Ascus

MouthBreather

Nethellus wrote:Is there any source that says that the Set: tags does anything at all? My buildings almost always seem to get grouped together in game anyway, for some obscure reason.
It seems to have a noticable effect, but it may also just group by first tag.

I have noticed, if I start in the space phase, and select a main building with the set: as the first tag, all the other buildings will be ones with that same tag. I have also noticed that if a building is selected from a sporecast, it will attempt to pick the other buildings from the same sporecast, but it seems less consistent.

I decided to go ahead and collect the old empire sporecast and add the tags. I put the results in the sporecast:
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Ascidex|500168425603%3Assc-500178848011

So far I added 9 empires

[WWW]
Rennar

Civilized Sporeon

I always forget to put tags or a description in my creatures, so I voted for you to give credit to people...XD

Superamzing sig by the amazing G3NJI!!!
Meh...sig was apperently too big...XD
[Email]
Ascus

MouthBreather

After building my sporecast of fixed thing, I have found it a PIA to have to write down the author name prior to entering the editor. There is no way to cut and paste the original authors name while in-game, and one in the editor you can't swap out and find out what it was.

[WWW]
Poetry

Multicellular

Since when you re-edit you can rename. Just add a 'By X' in the name if you can or even.
This way you can tell whom the author without even having to poke the tag.

Something to consider.

A Sunrise Happens If You Watch It Or Not
aim icon
Ascus

MouthBreather

Poetry wrote:
Since when you re-edit you can rename. Just add a 'By X' in the name if you can or even.
This way you can tell whom the author without even having to poke the tag.

Something to consider.

Not sure where you are going here. I am referring to the original author's name. Other than writing it down on piece of paper, and then typing it in with the "by:" tag, I have not found a way to get the original authors name once the object is in the editor.

[WWW]
Poetry

Multicellular

Not sure where you are going here. I am referring to the original author's name. Other than writing it down on piece of paper, and then typing it in with the "by:" tag, I have not found a way to get the original authors name once the object is in the editor.

Oh! hehe two different things m8.

To that: Writing down the authors name is a tiny price to pay if you like a creation.

No no I was typing in regards to your misgivings in usage of others creations.

For example I want to remake your colorful and fun looking Greater Inkjet. I call it:
Greater Inkjet ByAscus

Then in the description and tags I put in By Ascus.

Make sense? Or am I still too groggy to explain.

A Sunrise Happens If You Watch It Or Not
aim icon
JohnnyPie

MouthBreather

Simple solution. Change anything you want, just don't upload it. And this should go without saying. Only upload ORIGINAL creations. I don't give a SPORE what you do in your private galaxy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/09/2008 13:20:31

CAUTION: Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear:

I have a Learning Disorder. Please don't laugh
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Creator Corner
Go to: