The Sporum - The Official Spore Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
[Login] Login 
Spore Creepy and Cute Pack:Spore Evolves with New Content,Gameplay and Tools (official announcement)  XML
Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Nonomu198

Microbe

super lame

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 18:00:52

For those of you who complain about spore and thinks about new things, concepts, and adjustments:

You all have great ideas for new things and changes. But all of them would just make my currect super great game guide even crappier than it is currectly. Really.
MinionJoe

Spacefaring Sporeling

ThrowerOfStones wrote:Most people I've talked to said they were highly disapointed with the gameplay options of the Sims 2 base.

The issue there is a lot of Sims 2 players were coming over from fully-expanded versions of Sims 1. I know when I changed to Sims 2, I was disappointed that a lot of the things I did in Sims 1 were no longer availabe.

But then I realized that the Sims 2 base was a lot broader than the Sims 1 base, and I was OK with it. I expanded Sims 2 out to "Open for Business" and I still go through phases where I play the game for hours on end.

However, I'm glad I stopped with "Open for Business" because appearantly the next expansion ("Pets" or "Seasons") included SecuROM.

Needless to say, after my experiences with Spore, I will no longer be looking to expand my Sims 2 game.

Times MinionJoe Has Been Banned: 5 Times MinionJoe's Opinion Has Changed: 0
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

ThrowerOfStones wrote:
Most people I've talked to said they were highly disapointed with the gameplay options of the Sims 2 base.

Well, I sure as hell wasn't. I fall into the category of people Will Wright often talks about, the ones who can tell stories and have memories of the Sims they created and grew attached to.

I had this one family of three, a guy I built to look like an alien (I'm a 3D artist; TheSims2 gave me enough facial options that making him look like an tush-probing big-eyed alien wasn't hard), a punk chick who looked like a cross between Tank Girl and a character out of a bad 80s cult movie like The Class of Nukem High, and a Japanese-assassin girl who loved to dress all fancy. MAN, they were an interesting bunch, especially when the punk chick decided to fall in love with the girl I'd built to look like me...

...but I digress. Point being, TheSims 2's base product kept me occupied because of its storytelling abilities. I don't know what you were doing with the game that left you so disappointed, but I found that I could occupy myself for AGES with that thing, no expansions necessary.

The same is not true of Spore, and it's specifically because the storytelling abilities are all but nil...because the interaction options with other Spores are so limited. Fight, ally, trade, do missions...that's about all you get. There's no real diplomacy, no forming of empires or federations or alliances between multiple species, nothing. Getting a sense of a Spore's culture isn't really there either, except in the most rudimentary, Cliffs Notes way. It stinks.
I'm still bitter about not having science in my Spore, but not having even TheSims-level of interaction...that's just low.

The problem is that Spore has become a coloring book instead of a chemistry set

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
ThrowerOfStones

Multicellular

The issue there is a lot of Sims 2 players were coming over from fully-expanded versions of Sims 1. I know when I changed to Sims 2, I was disappointed that a lot of the things I did in Sims 1 were no longer availabe.

But then I realized that the Sims 2 base was a lot broader than the Sims 1 base, and I was OK with it. I expanded Sims 2 out to "Open for Business" and I still go through phases where I play the game for hours on end.

However, I'm glad I stopped with "Open for Business" because appearantly the next expansion ("Pets" or "Seasons") included SecuROM.

Needless to say, after my experiences with Spore, I will no longer be looking to expand my Sims 2 game.

Sounds like this is just a repetition of that issue then.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 18:05:42

MinionJoe

Spacefaring Sporeling

ThrowerOfStones wrote:Sounds like this is just a repetition of that issue then.

Except this isn't Spore 2.

Times MinionJoe Has Been Banned: 5 Times MinionJoe's Opinion Has Changed: 0
RocketGirl

MouthBreather

MinionJoe wrote:

...and I never played TheSims 2 with expansions, just the base product, so my comparisons of Spore to TheSims 2 are not tainted by expansion-pack expectations. And I may be the person with the biggest problems with Spore. So the analogy fails twice.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -Douglas Adams
Skymin

Multicellular

Wait, if the parts pack is $20, then how much will the expansion be?! $50-$60?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Credit for the Signature goes to me~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image is a Link~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[WWW] [MSN]
ThrowerOfStones

Multicellular

RocketGirl wrote:
ThrowerOfStones wrote:
Most people I've talked to said they were highly disapointed with the gameplay options of the Sims 2 base.

Well, I sure as hell wasn't. I fall into the category of people Will Wright often talks about, the ones who can tell stories and have memories of the Sims they created and grew attached to.

I had this one family of three, a guy I built to look like an alien (I'm a 3D artist; TheSims2 gave me enough facial options that making him look like an tush-probing big-eyed alien wasn't hard), a punk chick who looked like a cross between Tank Girl and a character out of a bad 80s cult movie like The Class of Nukem High, and a Japanese-assassin girl who loved to dress all fancy. MAN, they were an interesting bunch, especially when the punk chick decided to fall in love with the girl I'd built to look like me...

...but I digress. Point being, TheSims 2's base product kept me occupied because of its storytelling abilities. I don't know what you were doing with the game that left you so disappointed, but I found that I could occupy myself for AGES with that thing, no expansions necessary.

The same is not true of Spore, and it's specifically because the storytelling abilities are all but nil...because the interaction options with other Spores are so limited. Fight, ally, trade, do missions...that's about all you get. There's no real diplomacy, no forming of empires or federations or alliances between multiple species, nothing. Getting a sense of a Spore's culture isn't really there either, except in the most rudimentary, Cliffs Notes way. It stinks.
I'm still bitter about not having science in my Spore, but not having even TheSims-level of interaction...that's just low.

I'm actually curious - did you play the original Sims, and if you did, did you have all any of the expansions for that?

In any case, a big difference between the two is one of the presence of the player. In the Sims, you create your Sims, but ultimately they tell the stories. You can tell them to talk to people, but they are the ones who have needs and who decide how they feel about stuff. In Spore, it's much more immersive - you are directly controlling something, so of course it has less personality inherent. But that doesn't mean that the storytelling potential is more limited. Recently I've been raising empires and helping them spread across the galaxy, and doing so has taught me that there is a lot of depth to the storytelling aspect of the space stage. Now my baby empires have begun to squabble, and I get the same sort of amusement out of watching them and helping one side or the other as I did in the Sims. And there definitely is some differential between different empires of the same archetype, be it inherent or some random factor, because some empires just seem to be unable to succeed at anything, no matter how much help I try to give them, while others power through despite my ignoring them.

*sniff* Poor mushroom beetle empire, never stood a chance...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 18:13:30

ausdreamer

Multicellular

I read a lot of comparison to the Sims on this forum. I am a Sims player - 1 and 2 - all expansions, stuff packs, whatever- if it is Sims I have it and get it - no questions asked- kaching to EA there from me - and I have never been sorry or disappointed in spending my money. I could never play Sims 2 just base game now - I uninstall some expansions from time to time but always miss game elements I took for granted in expansions to reinstall them for the full experience.

Now Spore - no I did not have expectations of Spore to be like Sims- which is a one of a kind game and a personal preference to a gaming experience which meets my personal expectations of a game that makes it my number 1 all time favourite and not because it is the best game I ever played- but is the game I play the most and when bored and all else fails can load up Sims and get entertainment if that makes sense.

If expansions will add to Spore I am all for it and will support them until a time I cannot see the point and the game is still the same old of the base game.

The new expansion sounds promising and we do not know a great deal about it yet - just some little tidbits thrown at us - so I am going to be positive until reason not to be.

You will not get achievements if you use the cheat console in that game.
To earn achievements you need to start a new game and not use the cheat console.
ThrowerOfStones

Multicellular

MinionJoe wrote:

But RocketGirl is treating it as if it was.

RocketGirl

MouthBreather

ThrowerOfStones wrote:
I'm actually curious - did you play the original Sims, and if you did, did you have all any of the expansions for that?

Yes, I played it--still have the disc, though I don't have the manual, so if I want to play my own game, I have to essentially pirate it; oh, the irony--and I had none of the expansions at all.

In any case, a big difference between the two is one of the presence of the player. In the Sims, you create your Sims, but ultimately they tell the stories. You can tell them to talk to people, but they are the ones who have needs and who decide how they feel about stuff.

And that's what emergent gameplay is all about. Will Wright even talks about this with reference to Spore, at least in the 2005 video. He talks about having failure space, about essentially using seeds--like fractals--to start something going but having the end result be unexpected-yet-interesting... Certainly, this is present in TheSims, even more so in TheSims 2, and it was alleged to be present in Spore...yet is conspicuously absent.

In Spore, it's much more immersive - you are directly controlling something, so of course it has less personality inherent.

Only it shouldn't.

Again, it was alleged that Spore would analyze how you play your creature, save that information, and then use it to generate the behavior of your fellow creatures AND their simulacra in other peoples' games. (Hmmm...SIMulacra; Maxis, note that word and use it, cuz it's right up your alley. And give me credit. End digression.) And this was supposed to produce the same sorts of emergent gameplay that we saw in the Sims franchise, if only in other peoples' creatures.
...only it really doesn't.

But that doesn't mean that the storytelling potential is more limited.

Actually, it really does. Just how much storytelling can there be when the interaction possibilities are so limited? When creatures are shoehorned into archetypes instead of having their personalities be a mixture of multiple traits that are determined by levels instead of Booleans? Not a lot, frankly.

FalloutZero

Microbe

No Vehicle parts? I haven't been playing with the creature editor since you can't really create 'humans'. The space ship editor is alot more fun for me. May skip this unless its really compelling.

Sporetopia Planitia Space Yards: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/FalloutZero:

RocketGirl

MouthBreather

ThrowerOfStones wrote:
MinionJoe wrote:

But RocketGirl is treating it as if it was.

Whereas YOU'RE treating Spore like a reset button, as if all the lessons learned by going from TheSims to TheSims 2 just no longer apply when making Spore, that they should have to be RE-learned, instead of be part of what drives the design of Spore 1.

Skymin

Multicellular

Will the new parts pack be in canada?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Credit for the Signature goes to me~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image is a Link~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[WWW] [MSN]
Ascus

MouthBreather

hiki2008 wrote:More details abouth "Spore Cute and Creepy Pack" :

72 new body parts - 12 per pallet (mouth, eyes, antennae, legs, body & Details)
2 new backgrounds for the spore creature creator - 1 x creepy & 1 x cute
36 new scripts (12 bases, 12 paints & 12 Details)
12 new painting motifs
24 new test-animations - 12 x creepy & 12 cute

No new hands or feet? I am guessing eyes and antenne will be separate pages.
New backgrounds, I just use the transparent on anyway?
the new paints scripts are good, since combine with current paints, but only on more page each?
New animations???? how will that do anything to anything?
Nothing for vehicles or buildings?
No new Tribal, Citizen or Space outfits?

since this is 1/3 of the package price of the game, I would expect the parts pack to have at LEAST 30% of the parts of the main game. The above listed should have been a optional $4.99 download, not a $19.99 box.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/13/2008 18:27:49

Check out my Sporecast viewer at http://ciper.com/spore/spore.php
[WWW]

Forum Index » Spore General Discussion
Go to: